Sign in with
Your question

Computer random restarts

Last response: in Components
July 12, 2011 4:45:28 AM

Starting just a few days ago, i have started to have random restarts with my computer. It happens quickly when I am gaming, but takes about 2 hours when doing idle tasks, or cruising the web.

So far, fixes i have tried are swapping graphics cards, re-seating the RAM and CMOS battery, and i have tested the RAM sticks. None of these has worked so far, so I have come here looking for some advice.

My temperatures should not be the cause, as they are relatively normal.

One of the things i have noticed is that after every restart, i get the windows has encountered an unexpected shutdown notice, saying that it was a Bluescreen, and the error code is always the same: 124.

Any help with this issue would be greatly appreciated.
July 12, 2011 4:37:31 PM

thanks for your help, ill get right on it.
m
l
Related resources
July 13, 2011 6:11:52 PM

Ubrales said:
Usually the result of a problem with the display drivers. Download and install the latest chipset drivers installed along with the latest BIOS. Also, download and install the latest drivers for your graphics card.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/958233

Also update the games patches if any.

This may help: http://www.techmowgli.com/viewsearchresult.aspx?sid=592

Unfortunately, this has not helped with the problem. I am still getting the restarts and bluescreens.
m
l
July 13, 2011 6:31:08 PM

jdab555 said:
Unfortunately, this has not helped with the problem. I am still getting the restarts and bluescreens.

That is good news in the sense that now you can eliminate those items as potential sources of the problem.

Is there a way you can try a different known good PSU? The paper clip test has limitations.
m
l
July 13, 2011 7:34:45 PM

I can try it on an old 500w that i have, but i don't know if that will be enough to power the system, ill give it a shot anyways.
m
l
July 13, 2011 8:17:19 PM

jdab555 said:
I can try it on an old 500w that i have, but i don't know if that will be enough to power the system, ill give it a shot anyways.

If it is in working condition, try it.

It always helps if you list your system and some details.
m
l
July 14, 2011 4:13:39 PM

Well, I tried the power supply, didnt work, and then i decided, what the hell, I'll reseat the cpu. So i did, and now everything works great. Odd fix, but I'll take it.

Thanks for your help Ubrales.
m
l
July 18, 2011 4:28:30 PM

Sounds like you are either generating too much heat, or drawing more power than your PSU can handle.

Since re-seating the CPU fixed it, I will bet on heat, since presumably you had to take off the heatsink, and reapply thermal material to be able to re-seat the CPU. Glad you fixed it :) 
m
l
!