Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Alternatives to nvidia 3d on my pc

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 4, 2011 8:55:23 PM

I want 3d gaming on my pc, but I have an ATI gpu. I know that you have to have an Nvidia gpu to display this technology, however, if I buy a 3d televesion instead of a 3d lcd to hook up to my desktop pc, since it doesn't need the nvidia glasses technology, will I have to upgrade anything on my pc? I'm just looking for a way to get around having to get a new motherboard and Gpu, etc.

More about : alternatives nvidia

a b U Graphics card
February 4, 2011 8:59:43 PM

No, you do not have to have an Nvidia GPU for 3d gaming. AMD does not make exclusive software to handle 3d on its cards like nvidia does, but 3rd party companies do. IZ3D is one, I don't know the names of the others.
Score
February 15, 2011 9:07:02 PM

So basically I could just purchase a 3d television and 3d glasses and not have to purchase any other hardware? I figure that the television would still be hooked up to my gpu with an hdmi cable like i have my pc monitor hooked up?
Score
Related resources
February 15, 2011 9:17:52 PM

Does AMD even have a 3D monitor out in North America?

nvidia 3D support is far superior to AMD; it works with all Mitsubishi Diamond Vision 3D DLP TVs and many more 3D TVs and monitors.

You need to look up the supported device list for AMD and/on nvidia 3D technology. You'll see that AMD supports jack *** and nvidia supports boatloads of TVs and monitors.
Score
a c 125 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 15, 2011 9:39:04 PM

All the 3D monitors out apparently work only with Nvidia, but the 3D televisions work with AMD. AFAIK, tho, Radeon only supports 3D movies but not gaming yet.

Also, if you do have to get an Nvidia card, that will not require a new motherboard or anything like that.
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2011 11:26:06 PM

Yeah, nvidia's 3d vision is definitely better, but worth getting another card?
To use 3d on AMD cards, I think you need to use 3rd party software, but it works.

Look up AMD HD3D
Score
a b U Graphics card
February 15, 2011 11:26:46 PM

What card do you have?
Score
February 15, 2011 11:44:36 PM

Thanks for all the reply's fellas. I have a Radeon 5770. I guess since I was looking into getting a television instead of an actual pc monitor that I could get around a lot of the bs, but looks like I may be wrong. The monitors don't seem to be on par with what tv's are putting out in terms of 3d; a nice 32 inch 3d tv seems more cost effective than a 3d lcd of that size, if they even make them that big, but maybe i'm wrong. Not sure what all goes into the 3rd party software for amd as far as 3d goes, but I am going to look into it. Thanks guys...
Score
February 15, 2011 11:48:16 PM

By the way, if any of you guys out there have an actual 3d pc setup, let me know what you're setup is, and whether or not it's actually worth checking out. Thanks.
Score
February 16, 2011 2:00:16 PM

A 3D gaming setup is ridiculously expensive since you need a 3D capable display which costs a lot and a very powerful computer. 3D games essentially use twice the resolution and require two cards to be playable. Usually two hefty cards.

You might be better off googling 3D setups instead of asking in forums.
Score

Best solution

a c 595 U Graphics card
a c 388 Î Nvidia
February 16, 2011 5:24:55 PM

Some more info, apparently a single GTX570 can play in 3D Vision with high details at good frame rates:

"NVIDIA's 3D Vision Ecosystem is now a very mature product and we are basically able to run any game, even recent releases in stereoscopic 3d. It is just a case of buying the graphics card, monitor and glasses kit then connecting it up and ticking a box in the driver control panel. From there the software talks us through the setup and within minutes we are up and running with no further configuration involved.

Looking specifically at Left 4 Dead 2 the GTX 570 GLH gives us a flawless 3D experience, even at some very demanding settings."
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1088/pg9/gainward...

"When testing AMD 3D and NVIDIA 3D Vision we are quite limited in the scenarios where the two can be compared. This is due to the limitations of AMD's implementation which uses 3rd party drivers to enable the 3D effect. These 3rd party drivers lack the support and polish of the NVIDIA alternative and since we began testing this aspect of AMD cards around 8 months ago the situation has not improved significantly.

From bugs to lack of game support, AMD disappoint and the experience is made worse by the fact that support for DirectX 10 and 11 games is patchy at best. Not only that though, we cannot use Crossfire with AMD 3D. So, to summarise... single GPU only and DirectX 9 games have the most chance of working. With NVIDIA we can pretty much play anything we want in 3D, in fact there is only one game in our normal test suite which doesn't yet have some form of 3D support and that is Medal of Honor (single player)."
http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1104/pg13/asus-ge...
February 16, 2011 9:13:33 PM

You guys have been a great help and I appreciate all the info. Expensive; yes. Worth it? I'm gonna find out in the near future. Crysis 2 in 3D sounds too good to pass up. Q4 2011 the tech will hopefully see some advancements. I can wait 'till then.
Score
February 16, 2011 9:13:48 PM

Best answer selected by gmp23.
Score
a c 169 U Graphics card
a b Î Nvidia
February 17, 2011 4:55:03 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
!