asjdwf

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
I have relied on the threads from this great place for some time now. And, since it is time I feel I need an upgrade on my graphics card, I personally feel obligated to ask the pros here what they would get.

I currently have a NVIDIA GeForce 9800GT I mostly play World of Warcraft. My wife plays Sims 3 and sometimes I play betas of games that I have been invited to. I just have the feeling that with all the new stuff they are doing in games it's time for an upgrade on the graphics card.

I'm running Windows 7 home 32 bit. I have 4 gb RAM, 2.4 ghz

The Max Resolution of my monitor 1440 x 900 / 60.0 Hz but I run it at 1024 x768 / 60.0 Hz.

my computer is a Q6600 2.4Ghz.
Intel core 2 quad

Power Supply 550 Watt Top Power Power Supply

Motherboard Board NVIDIA nForce 630i based chipset, DDR2, mATX, PCI-e

Processor Intel® Core™ 2 Quad processor Q6600, quad 2.4GHz cores, 8MB L2 Cache (+$100.00)

CPU Cooling Intel® Certified Heatsink/Fan, Thermal Controlled Variable Speed Fan

DDR2 Memory 4096MB Corsair™ XMS2 DDR2-800 Low Latency Extreme Memory with Heat Spreader (2x2048)

I had it custom built from Velocity Micro about two and a half years ago. (The time may be a little off.)

I am willing to spend up to about $200 dollars right now but if waiting a few months will get me more for my money is the right thing to do........that I am willing to do.

I was looking at

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814130591

but I don't know if my power supply which is here,

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817101021

will run it.

Thanks in advance for you help friends.

AJ

asjdwf

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2011
that's what was included with the computer when I had it built for no charge so yeah.......I know it wasn't the best. My question is will it run the graphics card without a problem though? I'm not full of money right now seeing I currently have a 1 year old lol. Thanks for your help fine sir.

AJ

I understand and am in a tight spot my self. The unit is questionable and seams to be very much hit or miss with those who own a copy of that unit. You could go ahead but you are taking a risk. At stock the card easily draws 160w at load even though the idle is only 20w. Overclocked you can easily push 200w on just that card alone. I am running one off a 550w antec unit alongside with a 8800gt and phenom x4 820. I am only to do so as my unit can handle the load but not all units are created as good as the one I got. I got a 85% rated unit (rare) but most companies really skimp on the quality of their units and so through experience people have learned to only trust certain brands more than others. They do cost more but that is mirroring life in general. If you want better quality you sadly end up paying more. Cheap units often have a lot of issues from bad caps to shorts that can be costly.