No IDE ports on AM3+ mobos

I am going to build a new AMD PC. CPU is phenom II X4 955 BE, Ram 4GB
The problem is that I want to use PATA IDE HDD from my old computer for some time (till the HDD prices go down again.).
I am not able to decide which motherboard should I choose, AM3 or AM3+. AM3 mobos have IDE port but AM3+ don't have even a single IDE port. I found that there are PCIe IDE cards available in market. Are they good to use & will they solve my purpose or I should buy a AM3 mobo with IDE port on them.

Another thing is do USB 3.0 PCIe cards work as good as in built ones on motherboards?
8 answers Last reply
More about ports mobos
  1. What do u want to do with the IDE HDD?

Use it as a boot drive?
  2. HDD prices are going to stay for a year at high prices.
  3. ok, its nice but still prices are higher than earlier. The IDE HDD I am having will be the only HDD in PC for some time , please answer my real question about am3/am3+ motherboards and ide pcie card
  4. psm360 said:
    ok, its nice but still prices are higher than earlier. The IDE HDD I am having will be the only HDD in PC for some time , please answer my real question about am3/am3+ motherboards and ide pcie card

What OS do u have?

x64?
  5. I don't think u can install the system through this,

as it has to be recognized by the windows DVD,

and since it needs to have proprietary software installed before inserting in to the PCI slot,

I am sure it will not even show in the BIOS.

Also the boot with the card installed is prolonged by almost a minute, so slow boot every restart.
  6. Why don't u make it easy on yourself, get this small SSD, and have a problem free computing. This would be much better choice, as those PCI cards have small reliability.

@ $79.99 + FREE SHIPPING

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226247

Ask a new question

Read More

Motherboards Hard Drives Product