Sign in with
Your question

About to buy - need final check

Last response: in Systems
April 10, 2011 3:39:00 AM

Hi guys, I have been doing heaps of research and have finally come to some sort of decision about my build. my budget is around $2000 including a monitor and to get it built by a local store. Here are the parts I have decided on so far, all prices are in australian dollars sourced from pccasegear.com where I will most likely be buying these parts:

Intel i5-2500K ($249)

ASUS P8P67 PRO Motherboard B3 ($245)

G.Skill Ripjaws F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL 8GB (2*4GB) DDR3 ($125)

Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB WD1002FAEX ($105)

CoolerMaster HAF 912 Advanced ($119)

Gigabyte GeForce GTX 560 Ti 1GB Super Overclock ($299)

XFX 750W Black Edition ($179)

Microsoft Sidewinder X4 keyboard ($49)

ASUS PCE-N13 802.11 Wireless N PCI-Express Adapter ($39)

Lite-On IHAS324 24x DVDRW ($55)

WIndows 7 Home Premium Retail Pack ($259)

Dell U2311H monitor + 5 year premium warranty ($345.19)

I don't need a mouse and after doing some research I found that since I am not going to be doing much overclocking, if any, I don't need any better CPU cooling than the stock i5 cooler. Also, I have chosen a 750W PSU for future upgrades (possible 2 GTX 560 Ti's in SLI) if this is not enough power could you suggest a better option. I don't really care about the wireless adapter or the DVD slot, I simply chose these as they were cheap. If they have big problems could you please suggest alternatives. I am thinking about getting a SSD but I am not sure if it is worth the extra cash.

The computer will be used mainly for gaming, movies and internet. but mainly gaming. I am not sure if it is worth getting a GTX 570 instead of a 560 but it is an extra $100 and I am already at pretty much max budget. The above setup plus postage costs $2318 and I wouldn't want to go any higher than about this. I like the monitor, but if you guys think its a really bad idea i might change my mind.

More about : buy final check

April 10, 2011 4:16:58 AM

You can drop down to the 2500 (non k) if you are not overclocking. The k means the multiplier is unlocked, so you are paying a premium for no reason if you are not going to overclock.

Also if you are not planning on changing the hardware around in the next year or so (which I doubt) I would order the windows 7 oem which is half the price of the retail.

These changes alone save you $130 which should allow you to buy a 570!

As for the ultrasharp, yeah it's nice. It has tilt, height adjustment and most importantly it is an IPS panel instead of TN. The colors are more accurate but it does cost more accordingly. Personally I went for standard TN and I can't really complain, watching movies and playing games is great nonetheless. However I would not buy the premium warranty. The standard 3 year warranty should be more than sufficient.
m
l
April 10, 2011 6:59:41 AM

Thanks for the reply Supermunche.

I am planning to do some very minor overclocking, but not so much that I need a special cooler. So I think I will probably spend the extra $20 on the k version. If I went with the 570 which version would you suggest, and what kind of PSU would you recommend for that GC? Also, what TN panel would you recommend? I am very keen on the dell but that is mainly because I couldn't find anything else I even moderately liked in that price range.

What do you think about the other parts?

m
l
Related resources
April 10, 2011 6:03:44 PM

If you're only getting one 570, the 750W XFX will handle it. I had 2x470s on a 650W Antec for a while.

Dell's monitors are fantastic. I personally would stick with the U2311, but the P and E series monitors are great as well. I have 3 of the E2011 monitors and love them dearly :) 
m
l
April 11, 2011 2:06:58 AM

I can't recommend a specific 570, but I'm always torn between xfx and msi. XFX for its lifetime warranty and msi for it's superior twin frozor design. They just managed to create a really efficient and quiet design.

As for monitors I've been currently looking at the p2411h for a tri-screen setup with my 6950. For the moment though I'm still waiting for a good "deal". Usually just before they do a refresh you can buy these for a bargain. Last time they were on sale for $180 with free shipping. Dell has a lot of sales, so I usually only buy new monitors when the price is right.
m
l
April 11, 2011 2:15:16 AM

Supermuncher85 said:
I can't recommend a specific 570, but I'm always torn between xfx and msi. XFX for its lifetime warranty and msi for it's superior twin frozor design. They just managed to create a really efficient and quiet design.

As for monitors I've been currently looking at the p2411h for a tri-screen setup with my 6950. For the moment though I'm still waiting for a good "deal". Usually just before they do a refresh you can buy these for a bargain. Last time they were on sale for $180 with free shipping. Dell has a lot of sales, so I usually only buy new monitors when the price is right.

Yeah, Dell changes their prices pretty often, but Spring/Summer is a good time to buy them. A year ago I bought a ST2310, and the next day the price dropped $20, but they wouldn't refund me, so make sure you buy on a weekday ;) 
m
l
!