Help! I need to buy an easy to use 4x6 printer for the wife!

Last response: in Digital Camera
Share
February 16, 2005 10:19:29 PM

I love the lady dearly, but she is completely void of technical know
how! I personally prefer to view the family prints on a 17" monitor,
however she wants hard copy so she can ............ put them in shoe
box with the rest? I'll sacrifice a little quality for ease of use. I
just bought a new $400 camera (to replace the great 2.1 mp Oly) with
an additonal $200 in extras and I need to come up with a personal
printer for her. Needless to say, if it has anything to do with a
computer (God, she be will glad when that fad is over) she won't touch
it. She won't print anything over 4x6 and if they have red eyes, BY
GOD THEY'LL HAVE RED EYES. Any input into this decision will greatly
be appreciated (as long as they are legal or I couldn't caught).

Eddie
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 10:42:24 PM

epson picturemate......very simple to use, even comes with a car adapter so
you can take it with you. I bought my completely computer illiterate parents
one and they love it. They get between 100 and 150 pics from a single
cartridge, the cartridges cost 29.95. Prints outstanding 4x6 pics.

--

"Wendy" <wendy.kiss@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
>I love the lady dearly, but she is completely void of technical know
> how! I personally prefer to view the family prints on a 17" monitor,
> however she wants hard copy so she can ............ put them in shoe
> box with the rest? I'll sacrifice a little quality for ease of use. I
> just bought a new $400 camera (to replace the great 2.1 mp Oly) with
> an additonal $200 in extras and I need to come up with a personal
> printer for her. Needless to say, if it has anything to do with a
> computer (God, she be will glad when that fad is over) she won't touch
> it. She won't print anything over 4x6 and if they have red eyes, BY
> GOD THEY'LL HAVE RED EYES. Any input into this decision will greatly
> be appreciated (as long as they are legal or I couldn't caught).
>
> Eddie
Anonymous
February 16, 2005 11:32:54 PM

> I love the lady dearly, but she is completely void of technical know
> how! I personally prefer to view the family prints on a 17" monitor,
> however she wants hard copy so she can ............ put them in shoe
> box with the rest? I'll sacrifice a little quality for ease of use. I
> just bought a new $400 camera (to replace the great 2.1 mp Oly) with
> an additonal $200 in extras and I need to come up with a personal
> printer for her. Needless to say, if it has anything to do with a
> computer (God, she be will glad when that fad is over) she won't touch
> it. She won't print anything over 4x6 and if they have red eyes, BY
> GOD THEY'LL HAVE RED EYES. Any input into this decision will greatly
> be appreciated (as long as they are legal or I couldn't caught).

I have a Sony DPP-EX5 dye-sub that does terrific 4x6 prints. The
clear-coat over the top adds some longevity to the print as well. The
downside to any dye-sub, however, is the price - the Sony works out to about
65 cents per print.

steve
February 17, 2005 1:59:27 AM

Wendy <wendy.kiss@sbcglobal.net> writes:

> I love the lady dearly, but she is completely void of technical know
> how! I personally prefer to view the family prints on a 17" monitor,
> however she wants hard copy so she can ............ put them in shoe
> box with the rest? I'll sacrifice a little quality for ease of use. I
> just bought a new $400 camera (to replace the great 2.1 mp Oly) with
> an additonal $200 in extras and I need to come up with a personal
> printer for her. Needless to say, if it has anything to do with a
> computer (God, she be will glad when that fad is over) she won't touch
> it. She won't print anything over 4x6 and if they have red eyes, BY
> GOD THEY'LL HAVE RED EYES. Any input into this decision will greatly
> be appreciated (as long as they are legal or I couldn't caught).

I suspect the Epson Picturemate is the best for your wife, since it produces
long lasting prints that are water resistant.

I have the HP 375B which is a nice printer (and it has a battery so you can
bring it to picnics, etc.), but it has the usual choice of papers (swellable
papers that in theory last 80 years, but are water sensitive or nanoporous
papers that only last a decade or so, but are water resistant).

--
Michael Meissner
email: mrmnews@the-meissners.org

"Wendy" <wendy.kiss@sbcglobal.net> wrote in message
> I love the lady dearly, but she is completely void of technical know
> how! I personally prefer to view the family prints on a 17" monitor,
> however she wants hard copy so she can ............ put them in shoe
> box with the rest? I'll sacrifice a little quality for ease of use. I
> just bought a new $400 camera (to replace the great 2.1 mp Oly) with
> an additonal $200 in extras and I need to come up with a personal
> printer for her. Needless to say, if it has anything to do with a
> computer (God, she be will glad when that fad is over) she won't touch
> it. She won't print anything over 4x6 and if they have red eyes, BY
> GOD THEY'LL HAVE RED EYES. Any input into this decision will greatly
> be appreciated (as long as they are legal or I couldn't caught).

Take the card to Wal-mart or similar place. Pix are about $ .25 each.
YOu can get larger ones if you want.
February 19, 2005 5:51:55 PM

Steve I too have the DPP-EX5, it is very cool, can hook to tv or pc, I
bought the DPP-EX7 and sent it back for the ex5 mainly because the ex7
did not have tv hookup and price. Also ex5 came with the picture gear
softwear.. The ex7 was twice as much and personally the ex5 had better
features.. Although no one has the ex5's any more I think cuz sony
needs to get rid of those ex7's..

On Wed, 16 Feb 2005 20:32:54 -0700, "Steve Wolfe" <unt@codon.com>
wrote:

>> I love the lady dearly, but she is completely void of technical know
>> how! I personally prefer to view the family prints on a 17" monitor,
>> however she wants hard copy so she can ............ put them in shoe
>> box with the rest? I'll sacrifice a little quality for ease of use. I
>> just bought a new $400 camera (to replace the great 2.1 mp Oly) with
>> an additonal $200 in extras and I need to come up with a personal
>> printer for her. Needless to say, if it has anything to do with a
>> computer (God, she be will glad when that fad is over) she won't touch
>> it. She won't print anything over 4x6 and if they have red eyes, BY
>> GOD THEY'LL HAVE RED EYES. Any input into this decision will greatly
>> be appreciated (as long as they are legal or I couldn't caught).
>
> I have a Sony DPP-EX5 dye-sub that does terrific 4x6 prints. The
>clear-coat over the top adds some longevity to the print as well. The
>downside to any dye-sub, however, is the price - the Sony works out to about
>65 cents per print.
>
>steve

Anonymous
February 21, 2005 11:27:44 AM

When I saw subject line, I was gonna recommend the lab I use, they
charge 9¢/6x4.

BUT you have to UPLOAD the data file!

They deliver by mail and to 3000 dealers in NYC.
!