Your question

Looking for new graphics card, need some advice plz

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Graphics
  • Product
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 5, 2011 1:56:13 AM

I currently have a nvidia G310 512 mb dd3. I'm not happy with it at all and ive read some other posts saying its not really a gaming card anyway. I really only play wow on my computer. Here are some of the spec.

Dell studio xps 8100
i7-870 8mb cache, 2,93ghz
8gb ddr3 sdram
Dell 21.5 inch wide monitor (ST2220LB) res is 1920x1080.

Ive been looking at lots of cards, but my power supply is only 350w on this comp. Most of what i saw take atleast 400w.
My budge is right around $250.00 Any advice would be great...thx.

More about : graphics card advice plz

a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 3:07:58 AM

If you are only playing WOW you would be totally fine just getting a 5770 for about $110-120. It would run on a dell 350w PSU and leave that 310 in the dust by a huge margin.

That said, getting a better PSU is always the safer choice. The options suggested above are decent. The most reliable mainstream PSUs come from Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, and sometimes OCZ. A 500w PSU from these vendors would run any single graphic card setup without a problem-- honestly in most situations a 400w would do it, but 500 is totally safe.

With a new PSU, the 460 suggested above would be an option that is slightly more powerful than the 5770. You dont really need anything more powerful than that for world of warcraft on a 1920X1080 -- but once again getting a sweeter card cant hurt--particularly when you are lining it up with such a powerful i7.
m
l
Related resources
a c 153 U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 3:11:44 AM

Don't forget XFX and PC Power and Cooling.

Also it depends on if he wants full details or not, full details in 25 man raids can actually get pretty laggy.... Unlike Tom's, where all they use to test is a Flight Path (if I recall correctly), 25 man raids are much more intensive.

I would lag a little in 25 man raids at full settings with my GTX 260 (before SLI), and it isn't much weaker than a 5770.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 3:54:30 AM

Best card under 75 watts - Safest
HD5670 $80

Lowest power 6 pin card 86 watts - Safe there should be a 6 pin power cable available since a GTX260 is an option for Studio XPS 8100
HD5750 $100

Fastest option 108 watts
HD5770 $100

nVidia GTS450 is an option but it uses as much power as a 5770 and is the speed of a 5750.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 11:47:27 AM

PC Power and cooling is now owned by OCZ. I can't speak to XFX on PSUs.

As long as you get a new PSU -- just buy the best you can afford on Tom's list. (the last page is most useful)
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-car...

I think the Nvidia 450 or 460 would be a good choice (as others have stated). It will be easier for a novice to transition from one Nvidia card to another -- you are less likely to have the software/driver issues etc.

You will note that the 310 is actually a rebranded GT 210 -- kind of a rip off from dell and nvidia. It falls near the bottom of any graphic card line-up. Dell screwed you on this---because its way underpowered considering the rest of your rig.
m
l
a c 274 U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 11:54:46 AM

deadlockedworld said:
You will note that the 310 is actually a rebranded GT 210 -- kind of a rip off from dell and nvidia. It falls near the bottom of any graphic card line-up. Dell screwed you on this---because its way underpowered considering the rest of your rig.

You say "rebranded" whilst others say OEM but at least it's the exact same card unlike the 6770 which is an older card that has been rebanded to the newer series number, that seems like a bigger rip off to me and is on par with what Nvidia did with G92 series.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 11:58:19 AM

Mousemonkey said:
You say "rebranded" whilst others say OEM but at least it's the exact same card unlike the 6770 which is an older card that has been rebanded to the newer series number, that seems like a bigger rip off to me and is on par with what Nvidia did with G92 series.

Agree.
m
l
February 6, 2011 2:19:39 AM

deadlockedworld said:
If you are only playing WOW you would be totally fine just getting a 5770 for about $110-120. It would run on a dell 350w PSU and leave that 310 in the dust by a huge margin.

That said, getting a better PSU is always the safer choice. The options suggested above are decent. The most reliable mainstream PSUs come from Seasonic, Antec, Corsair, and sometimes OCZ. A 500w PSU from these vendors would run any single graphic card setup without a problem-- honestly in most situations a 400w would do it, but 500 is totally safe.

With a new PSU, the 460 suggested above would be an option that is slightly more powerful than the 5770. You dont really need anything more powerful than that for world of warcraft on a 1920X1080 -- but once again getting a sweeter card cant hurt--particularly when you are lining it up with such a powerful i7.

I appreciate all the advice you've posted. Just had a few more questions. You recommended the 5570 but when i looked the minimum power supply was higher then what i have, can i still use it properly on mine?

The other question was about getting a new power supply. If i buy one from i dont have to worry about burning anything out? like my mother board? Probably a silly question but i havent messed around inside the case much and just wanted to make sure. Thanks again for all your help.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 3:05:47 AM

The power supply is the only component you should need to worry about with regard to the card.

Card manufacturers always bump up power requirements around 100w over what is actually needed in order to play it safe for people that buy crappy quality power supplies, have a million components plugged in, etc. Also, its not actually the wattage that matters, its the amperage on the +12v rail -- but thats too complicated to sell to an average audience. You can find your +12v number on the side of your PSU.

If you have the budget (and it looks like you do) I would get a new PSU along with the card. Yes, the dell PSU can handle it ok -- but you would be operating it much closer to capacity than is advised. Having a good quality power supply with a little more headroom will help keep your computer cooler, quieter, and will give you confidence that everything is safe. Good PSUs can even offer a little more protection from surges, etc in addition to your power strip.

Also -- installing a new PSU is very easy. (easier than the new graphic card) Just take a picture of the motherboard before you start and make certain to plug all the new cables in exactly where you took the old cables out.

Good card deals: (the 460 is a little faster--both are more than good enough for WOW)
http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/sapphire-radeon-hd5770-vi...

http://www.logicbuy.com/deals/msi-n460gtx-video-card/25...

For the power supply you can spend anywhere above about $30 to find something decent. More expensive ones are often more energy efficient and etc. I would aim for 450w-500w.
I ran my 5770 with a 400w ($39) Corsair for the first year and it worked fine, but have recently upgraded to a 90+% efficiency Seasonic just for kicks.

Here is a random one I picked: (but look for deals among the brands I mentioned)
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 3:46:51 AM

frajo said:
I appreciate all the advice you've posted. Just had a few more questions. You recommended the 5570 but when i looked the minimum power supply was higher then what i have, can i still use it properly on mine?

The other question was about getting a new power supply. If i buy one from i dont have to worry about burning anything out? like my mother board? Probably a silly question but i havent messed around inside the case much and just wanted to make sure. Thanks again for all your help.

You can try a calculator like this.
http://www.antec.outervision.com/

You'll be fine with a HD5670 considering Dell sold the 8100 with a GTX260 that uses 3 times as much power.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 10:51:33 AM

This is a very good article here at Tom's about WoW-Cataclysm - performance guide.
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/world-of-warcraft-c...
It's well worth the read and you'll notice that with your i7-870 that Nvidia cards provide better performance at the same value level. With your budget of $250 for best performance i'd go with the GTX460 and a new power supply.
m
l
February 6, 2011 4:31:25 PM

5770 is the best option( you can go with 5850 or above one
with an Antec 450W psu it will b Awesome.. dont worry about it ,it willl work Fine..and it will keep ur budget in controlle too
and instaling a PSU is very very easy not difficult there are only two bunches of wires which are to be attached on the MB.. and other to the drives Etc..no Problem at all
and yes every thing is written too on the manual with the PSU.. dont worry
m
l
February 6, 2011 7:29:54 PM

Thanks alot guys for all the info. Very helpful. Im still kinda nervous about changing the PSU but think im gonna give it a shot. Sounds like its a good option for the long run.

I just have on last question, Some of the cards say PCIe 2.0 x16 (which is what i have) and others say 2.1 instead. Is that something i need to be aware of? or nothing major.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 8:30:33 PM

Nothing major. PCIe 2.1 cards will work in PCIe 2.0 slots.

Looking some more, the 8100 had options for HD5770 and GTX260. You should be alright with the HD5770.
m
l
February 14, 2011 2:18:56 PM

Thanks alot guys for all your feedback and advice. The info was very helpful. Not sure what card im gonna get yet but im 99% sure im gonna replace the Power supply. Just wanted to say thanks!
m
l
!