PCIe 2.0 and or PCIe 3.0?

aqe040466

Distinguished
Nov 29, 2011
I just stumbled on a link provided by sosofm about PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 3.0
http://www.overclock.net/t/1188376/hardwarecanucks-hd-7970-pci-e-3-0-vs-pci-e-2-0-comparison.
I am just curious about PCIe 2.0 and PCIe 3.0. Why are these motherboard manufacturers makes a new motherboard with PCIe 3.0 if according to these bench marked results (above) have so little advantage compared to motherboards with PCIe 2.0?

Solution
I have for a long time and before seeing any PCIe 2.0 vs PCIe 3.0 comparisons have told folks it won't matter. Then I got accused of Trolling, people are jerks in these forums sometimes. It will matter years from now with the resolutions of 2K/4K (2048×1536/4096×3072) monitors become available and the GPU's are fully capable of driving them.

What I really wanted to see is the PCIe 3.0 being applied to the entire chipset bandwidth so 'sharing' a PCIe lane or lanes wouldn't impact or bottleneck chips e.g. Marvell or similar problematic shared chipset lanes.
that link only explores some games performing on pcie 2.0 and pcie 3.0. pcie 3.0 just started to appear on motherboards. most game developers won't take advantage of that bandwidth for quite some time. if you're looking for gaming performance improvement, wait for new consoles to come out or new pc games - that properly utilize pcie 3.0.
right now, pcie 3.0 would show the most improvement on sandy bridge xeon servers. another area is gpu computing where apps can use extra bandwidth. for gaming, it's not necessary...yet. that could change in 1-2 years from now. pcie 3.0 does have tangible advantage over pcie 2.0. it'll take some time for software devs to make use of pcie 3.0.

Max1s

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Well its more bandwidth for data to travel through. Future cards may be limited by PCIe 2 as the cards are able to creat more data than they can send through the pcie 2 slot. Your right though, according to that benchmark at this point it dosnt matter.

I have for a long time and before seeing any PCIe 2.0 vs PCIe 3.0 comparisons have told folks it won't matter. Then I got accused of Trolling, people are jerks in these forums sometimes. It will matter years from now with the resolutions of 2K/4K (2048×1536/4096×3072) monitors become available and the GPU's are fully capable of driving them.

What I really wanted to see is the PCIe 3.0 being applied to the entire chipset bandwidth so 'sharing' a PCIe lane or lanes wouldn't impact or bottleneck chips e.g. Marvell or similar problematic shared chipset lanes.

Solution