Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

GTX590 Will a QX9650 Oc'd on water run it efficiently?

Tags:
  • Graphics Cards
  • Gtx
  • SLI
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 5, 2011 3:35:44 AM

How's it going everybody? I was wondering if my QX9650 Oc'd to 4.0 ghz (333 x 12.), on water, would defeat the purpose of buying the upcoming GTX 590? I know it wont run it like an I7 980x would, but my other option is just to go SLI and slap in another GTX 460 768mb. I am currently running one Palit GTX460 768mb. Does all of the ram and shaders get used in SLI? I'm aware the GTX590 will be expensive. About the same price as an RM125 was back in 1978.
Also, how long was it before they came out with the revised version of the GTX 295 from the original first version of the GTX 295? And lastly, isn't Kepler supposed to be coming out this year? Which month do you guys think that will launch? Thanks for reading.

More about : gtx590 qx9650 water run efficiently

a c 153 U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 3:49:15 AM

Yeah, you don't want to SLI 768mb versions of GTX 460, 1GB of ram is "enough" now, but in the future we will see the need for 1.5 and 2GB soon I would say. 768mb probably won't cut it for too long. Then again this all depends on your resolution.

And yes all of the ram gets "used" but it gets duplicated in both cards, destoying what you THINK would happen if you combined the cards. Basically in non-savy terms two 768 mb cards will not give you the capacity of a 1.5GB card.
Score
0
February 5, 2011 3:56:26 AM

Helltech said:
Yeah, you don't want to SLI 768mb versions of GTX 460, 1GB of ram is "enough" now, but in the future we will see the need for 1.5 and 2GB soon I would say. 768mb probably won't cut it for too long. Then again this all depends on your resolution.

And yes all of the ram gets "used" but it gets duplicated in both cards, destoying what you THINK would happen if you combined the cards. Basically in non-savy terms two 768 mb cards will not give you the capacity of a 1.5GB card.


I'm running Fallout Vegas and NFS Shift at 1080p and hopefully GTA4 soon as I re-install it.
Score
0
a c 153 U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 3:59:34 AM

At 1080p you won't see the limitations of a 768mb card now, but in the (in my opinion) not so distant future you will.
Score
0
February 5, 2011 6:02:24 PM

Helltech said:
Yeah, you don't want to SLI 768mb versions of GTX 460, 1GB of ram is "enough" now, but in the future we will see the need for 1.5 and 2GB soon I would say. 768mb probably won't cut it for too long. Then again this all depends on your resolution.

And yes all of the ram gets "used" but it gets duplicated in both cards, destoying what you THINK would happen if you combined the cards. Basically in non-savy terms two 768 mb cards will not give you the capacity of a 1.5GB card.



One thing I am a little confused about is that like the GTX295, The GTX590 seems to be set up as SLI on a single pcb. Do you think that your statement above about the ram only being a "clone" in SLI applies to either of these two cards (295/590) or do they get used as if it was just one video card instead of being just duplicated? If it doesn't get duplicated and gets used effectively, how do they do that? The reason I'm asking the second question is I'm wondering if there might be a work around for normal SLI. Thanks for the replies by the way.
Score
0
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 6:07:40 PM

When it comes to GTA 4 you need all you can get but the sad thing is that sli, crossfire, and multy chrome isn't taken advantage in this game. To make things worse it is a cpu hog as well all know. Go with the best single gpu card instead unless you need the raw power for just about every other game.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 6:10:51 PM

The VRAM is still going to be cloned. The GTX590 is basically two GTX580's in SLI. They are recognized as such and act the same way. There will still be the cloning problem. But at 1.5GB or 3GB per card, this should hold it back at most resolutions.
Score
0
February 5, 2011 6:25:41 PM

Dougx1317 said:
The VRAM is still going to be cloned. The GTX590 is basically two GTX580's in SLI. They are recognized as such and act the same way. There will still be the cloning problem. But at 1.5GB or 3GB per card, this should hold it back at most resolutions.


I'm using a P55 motherboard (Asus P5Q Deluxe) and I have to use the SLI hack in order to run 2 cards in SLI. It's that lisencing thing Nvidia had with Intel back in the P55 days. I've downloaded it and it installed fine even though I'm not running SLI right now. Just testing to see if it would install.
Now my question is, do you think I have to use that hack for a single GTX590 or is that only used if more than one PCIE slot is being used for graphics?
Score
0
February 5, 2011 6:30:03 PM

nforce4max said:
When it comes to GTA 4 you need all you can get but the sad thing is that sli, crossfire, and multy chrome isn't taken advantage in this game. To make things worse it is a cpu hog as well all know. Go with the best single gpu card instead unless you need the raw power for just about every other game.


I've never heared of multy chrome. Sounds interesting. What is it?
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 8:17:31 PM

ratclifff4 said:
I'm using a P55 motherboard (Asus P5Q Deluxe) and I have to use the SLI hack in order to run 2 cards in SLI. It's that lisencing thing Nvidia had with Intel back in the P55 days. I've downloaded it and it installed fine even though I'm not running SLI right now. Just testing to see if it would install.
Now my question is, do you think I have to use that hack for a single GTX590 or is that only used if more than one PCIE slot is being used for graphics?

No, you don't need a SLI capable motherboard to use the GTX590 AFAIK. The SLI is handled by the card itself. This is why these dual GPU cards are so popular for those who don't have an SLI capable motherboard.
Score
0
a c 173 U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 8:37:21 PM

ratclifff4 said:
I've never heared of multy chrome. Sounds interesting. What is it?


IT was S3's attempt at a multi gpu system through the pci-e connector. Most here have never seen it or have ever read about it. I still stand by going with a single gpu setup as it will be less overhead for the cpu.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 1:38:12 AM

Probably were just wishing you had one (as P55 can do CF and SLI) :lol: 
Score
0
February 6, 2011 1:38:12 AM

nforce4max said:
IT was S3's attempt at a multi gpu system through the pci-e connector. Most here have never seen it or have ever read about it. I still stand by going with a single gpu setup as it will be less overhead for the cpu.


I just checked out S3Graphics.com It seems they have a full line of gpu's based on Nvidia. I've never heared of them until now. Thanks a lot for the info.
Score
0
February 6, 2011 1:45:35 AM

Dougx1317 said:
No, you don't need a SLI capable motherboard to use the GTX590 AFAIK. The SLI is handled by the card itself. This is why these dual GPU cards are so popular for those who don't have an SLI capable motherboard.


I wonder if it will say anything about being in SLI mode in the Nvida control pannel. It would be nice if it just defaulted to that. Actualy I'm guessing that's probably what might happen. Do you know anybody that has a GTX295 installed? It should set up the same way I'd think.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 1:52:42 AM

Yes, there is an option to enable/disable SLI in the drivers.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 2:19:30 AM

ratclifff4 said:
I wonder if it will say anything about being in SLI mode in the Nvida control pannel. It would be nice if it just defaulted to that. Actualy I'm guessing that's probably what might happen. Do you know anybody that has a GTX295 installed? It should set up the same way I'd think.

As shown here, GPU-Z recognizes that a GTX295 is two GPU's. I would imagine that the GTX590 will be the same.
http://www.geeks3d.com/public/jegx/200901/geforce-gtx-2...
Score
0
February 6, 2011 2:56:01 AM

Dougx1317 said:
As shown here, GPU-Z recognizes that a GTX295 is two GPU's. I would imagine that the GTX590 will be the same.
http://www.geeks3d.com/public/jegx/200901/geforce-gtx-2...


I just found out that I will have to "enable" SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel so that will be a piece of cake. Installation should be extremely simple now. I guess along with GPU-Z recognizing it as 2 gpu's also does the device manager from what I've been reading. I stumbled upon an article that talks about Nvidias new "Project Denver" while looking for info. You should check it out. Windows 8 will be supporting it. It doesn't have anything to do with this thread but it makes for good reading. Thanks for the info.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 5:40:17 AM

ratclifff4 said:
I just found out that I will have to "enable" SLI in the Nvidia Control Panel so that will be a piece of cake. Installation should be extremely simple now. I guess along with GPU-Z recognizing it as 2 gpu's also does the device manager from what I've been reading. I stumbled upon an article that talks about Nvidias new "Project Denver" while looking for info. You should check it out. Windows 8 will be supporting it. It doesn't have anything to do with this thread but it makes for good reading. Thanks for the info.

Post the link to the article, and I'll have a look. I always like reading about upcoming technologies.
Score
0
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 7:17:20 PM

Thanks for the article. It was a good read. It does bring up a lot of questions. I hope it turns out to be a promising direction.
Score
0
February 13, 2011 7:44:40 PM

Best answer selected by ratclifff4.
Score
0
a c 273 U Graphics card
February 13, 2011 8:31:31 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
0
!