ilikegirls

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
So the age old question, is my CPU temp normal ?!

A little while a ago ( like 2 weeks ) my CPU would reach 98c when on full load, I learned this was due to bad arctic silver so after replacing that I now Idle at 46c and when I game I get around 67c while on stock heat sink. Now I just saw a deal for a Corsair H50 for 45USD and wanted to know a few things.

1. Is that a good deal for that cooler and if that cooler is any good ?!
2. are my temps now normal and will a H50 help?
3. is my CPU damaged from the temps before?

Thanks again =)

compulsivebuilder

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2011
Those sound like reasonable temperatures now. You can hope that you didn't do lasting damage - it still works, which is promising.

I can't tell you if that's a good deal for that cooler.

I suggest you look for reviews on that cooler to determine if it will help your temperatures. I would question the need, though - those temperatures are fine.

I would suggest that you consider other reasons to change coolers, like noise. The Intel cooler is not very quiet.

JordoR

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Honestly, there is nothing terribly wrong with those idle temps... but I would still be a bit concerned. If you've recently reapplied the thermal paste (after carefully cleaning the old stuff off I hope) it may take awhile to reach optimal temps. Try leaving it on overnight or running prime 95 for 6 or so hours (no set time) just to properly the cure the thermal paste and make sure it fills all the voids in between the CPU and heatsink.

I have an i5 750 as well with a very cheap Coolermaster heatsink (Forget the model) and I get idle temps in the very low 20's, and prime 95 load temps in the 50's. I am only using the Antec Three Hundred, which isn't a great airflow case but even with a slight overclock from 2.66 to the 2.9 I'm using I still get these temps.

Bit off track there, but to directly answer your questions.

1. It's an OK price for the H50, but you should be able to get away with something like a CM Hpyer 212+, it runs usually between 20-25. You dont have a high end CPU and unless you are planning on overclocking a lot no sense to spend $50 on a heatsink.

2. I haven't looked at the stock "normal" temps for an i5 750... but I would say yours are a bit high to be normal.... but not too outlandishly high either. Yes the H50 will help, but any heatsink would.

3. Hard to tell if your CPU is damaged, I would doubt it. The Tmax for the CPU is 99c, and I assume you didn't run it at 98 very long. When you were cleaning off the CPU did you notice any burn marks or anything unusual? If not you are probably fine.