What do I need to do BEFORE installing new motherboard?

Status
Not open for further replies.

gproefficient

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
I'm upgrading my motherboard,ram and processor for the first time. bu I'm extremely confused on what to do, BEFORE i put the motherboard in. I'm upgrading from an emachines T5224 so the motherboard should fit. I hear your suppose to format t h e hard drive..well I dont want to keep any files, i want to start off fresh ( i already have a 4GB flash drive that i've backed m y important things to) anyway, is there anything i need to un install or change i n device manager? and when I swap mobo's instead of reinstalling OS, I'm going to install a brand new OS ( windows 7 ultimate). Do i put in the windows 7 installtion disc as soon as I boot pc? or do I put in the motherboard driver disc? I'm just really unsure of what to do FIRST. if I could have a list of what I n eed to do first and last it would be really helpful...I tried articles and forums etc but i didnt understand..much help is apprecitaed! :p

Solution
G
formatting the HD won't make a difference.

see something isn't working right between the motherboard, RAM and CPU.

i first suspected the RAM because even though 1333 is supported it is through overclocking on the motherboard. sometimes pushing the ram speed motherboard get finicky. so that why i asked about the old RAM.

not having a system speaker; well a lot of times hearing the beeps gives you a code to tell you what isn't right.

i am a little stuck here myself and getting tired. sorry.

posting a new thread in the asus section of the motherboard forum might draw more attention to your new problem and you'll get better help.
G

AFTER you put the motherboard in:

Put in the W7 disc first to install the OS and answer any questions it has so you do a "fresh install"; deleting everything on the HD.

Then after that you install the motherboard drivers.

starting over is better and more painless. :)

gproefficient

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
aaahh I see...wow the things i've been reading makes it seem really difficult..I guess its hard when your using the same OS...but I guess when your installing a brand new one its easy right? so all I do is install the parts, boot up pc, put windows 7 in and select fresh install and bam?

gproefficient

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
thank you very much you made me happy lol! one more question though...will the system even boot up once i changed the mobo ,ram,etc? 'm asking because, think about it. to just switch motherboard cpu and ram like that makes the system unaware of whats going on..like, I dont understand how it will boot up if the original settings and drivers are gone lol. will it go to the bios or something hen go to W7 disc? or will that be the first thing to pop up?

G

the BIOS is first and comes on the the motherboard so it know what it is. it will read what cpu and ram you have automatically.

usually the bios is set to default and will look in your dvd/cd drive for the OS to boot, when it does that it will start the install automatically. IF it boots off your HD instead and goes into windows, nothing bad will happen. just reboot and press DEL to go into your bios and change it to look at the CD drive first. (sometimes you need to press F1 of the ESC key instead of DEL depending on the manufacturer)

btw, i did forget to mention that during the installation process windows will ask you where to install. since you have only one hard drive that will be your only choice. then it will tell you it found a windows installation already; do you want to save the files, just select NO. it will warn you that it will delete them then and just tell it OK.

just some common sense stuff.

a_tractor

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
also make sure your motherboard standoffs are in the right place in the case otherwise you'll damage the mobo also when your booting up click delete key and look for first boot divice and set it to cd drive otherwise it wont boot the w7 install disc. also make sure you get all the connections on the mobo right otherwise it will go bang. and to answer your question yes if everything goes well your pc will boot. make sure of your front panel connectors in the mobo instructions booklet otherwise your power button wont power on your pc. also what cpu cooler are you going to use? make sure you put enough thermal paste on but not too much try to spread it with a credit card an make sure you only put a paper thin layer onto the cpu then push the heatsink onto the cpu. also make sure your psu is sufficient for your pc if your upgrading anything. have you installed a mobo before or any other components? if you have the above is totally useless but if you havent i hope this helps. :) good luck. :)

a_tractor

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
when your installing windows 7 you shoul get to a screen that tells you where to install windows 7 to wich hdd make sure you click advanced options and click format on whichever hdd yo choose so then it would format your hdd. if you follow these steps you wont go wrong. :) how big is your psu? what are you upgrading to? mobo? ram? prossecor? because it might not have a big enough psu.

gproefficient

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
Well this sucks...when i did what you guys said. well..The pc turned on BUT, there was a black screen. nothing came on the screen, no bios, no windows 7 installtion. nothing. I made sure everything was connected right. after trying 3 times, the las time I turned it on, the pc would not turn on at all. I opend the case t o see if the LEd light on the motherbaord was on, and it was..there w as no beeping sounds so i dont think i have faulty parts...so I put all my old parts back in but the psu and eveyything works fine

gproefficient

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012

no beeps is a b ad thing? anyway I've actually done everything on that list... but I dont h ave a system speaker though.i dont think. Other than that..I'm not s ure what to do :(

gproefficient

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
everything is new but the hard drive and the case. its a ASUS P5G41T mlx plus. processor is Intel core 2 duo E6550 ram is 4Gb DDR3 -1333 and psu is 500W ATX12 12v @ 25a and pci-e 6/8pin connector...

gproefficient

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
everything is new but the hard drive and the case. its a ASUS P5G41T mlx plus. processor is Intel core 2 duo E6550 ram is 4Gb DDR3 -1333 and psu is 500W ATX12 12v @ 25a and pci-e 6/8pin connector...

G

connect your OLD PSU to the new rig and see if that works. or is it not compatible?

if it doesn't change anything:
does your old motherboard support the new CPU? if so than "breadboard" it, set it on a non conductive surface connect the old PSU, RAM, video and NEW CPU to test that the new CPU is ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.