Easy Clustering Software

kjakeb

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Hello,

I have two old computers lying around that I want to put to some sort of use, so I was thinking of making a two computer cluster. Clearly, this is just for educational purposes (i.e, I know I wont get a huge performance boost out of clustering two computers). What I'm looking for is a piece of clustering software that combines the memory and cpu of both my computers whenever I run any program with almost no overhead, that is, I don't want to write special programs to work with it, and I want to be able to throw any task at it (graphics rendering, password cracking, etc anything I want). In other words, I want something that works with any type of task, because I have no specific task in mind. I've looked at some software like OSCAR and MPI, but these don't automate the whole process like a want them to. I've also been looking into rocks, but I'm not sure this does what I want either. Does anyone have any recommendations? Thanks for the help in advance!

someone19

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2011
What your looking for doesn't exist. Clustering is something I've dabbled in since I got my hands on 5 386 machines in highschool. I had a Bewoulf cluster running on them and compiling source code. I used linux and some redhat specific tools to get things rolling. Unfortunately your own set of specifications rules out a networked cluster of computers - not custom coding software, no overhead, no specific task.