Sign in with
Your question

Sabertooth X58 Start-Up Issues

Last response: in Motherboards
March 18, 2012 7:42:23 PM

Hello All,

I recently got a few BSODs under normal operation so I decided to re-seat my RAM to see if that was the issue. After doing so my computer will no longer post. It turns on, but it behaves like the power is cycling rapidly; all the MB LEDs, the front case lights, the light on the back of the PSU flicker continuously and the hard drives "click" like they're trying to spin-up (the fans look like they spin continuously, but that's only because they have momentum). After I press the power button to turn the system on, it will continue like this indefinitely until I hold the power button to turn it off. The odd part is that if I hold the "MemTest" button on the MB down the system stops flickering and all the components sound like they're booting up fine (HDD stops clicking, disc drive hums, et cetera), when I let go it goes immediately back to flickering. In either case the system doesn't post at all though.

I've had to troubleshoot component problems before, so I went through the regular steps: I took the MB out of the case and systematically checked each component (ran all the checks twice with alternate PSUs). I also cleared CMOS a number of times during the process. In all the cases it continued to behave exactly as above. I've opened a ticket with Asus as I think it's a faulty motherboard; I just find the MemTest part odd, because seemingly everything works fine when I hold it down.

Thought I would open it up to the community as I'm having a hard time finding people with the same issue, anyone have any ideas about what's going on?

Thanks in advance,
Skyler

Running Windows 7 64-Bit on the following system:

CPU: Intel Core i7-980 Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7980
MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 24GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
HSF: Noctua NH-C14 140mm x 2 SSO CPU Cooler
OS and Game HDD: Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
HDD: 1TB Samsung
PSU: SILVERSTONE ST1200 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V
GPU #1: PowerColor AX6870X2 2GBD5-2DHG Radeon HD 6870 x2 2GB 2 X 256bit
GPU #2: MSI R6870 Hawk Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit

May 11, 2012 1:42:27 PM

Hi,

I have the exact same problem. System is flickering and dont even get to POST. I removed memory, and other cards... same problem.

Then I tried removing the ATX power plug for the processor and suddenly the flickering stopped and MB "seems to boot" normally. Well, i still can't use the MB (it need atx power plug for processor) but maybe the problem is around this.... I discovered that i originally plugged only the 4pin plugs instead of a 8pins. I tried the 8pins, same flickering. Maybe it's power supply issue. Tonight, i will try an other power supply to see if its the problem (bigger one, currently using an old Antec650w, will try a Corsair 750w gamer serie or enthusiast serie).

every_one said:
Hello All,

I recently got a few BSODs under normal operation so I decided to re-seat my RAM to see if that was the issue. After doing so my computer will no longer post. It turns on, but it behaves like the power is cycling rapidly; all the MB LEDs, the front case lights, the light on the back of the PSU flicker continuously and the hard drives "click" like they're trying to spin-up (the fans look like they spin continuously, but that's only because they have momentum). After I press the power button to turn the system on, it will continue like this indefinitely until I hold the power button to turn it off. The odd part is that if I hold the "MemTest" button on the MB down the system stops flickering and all the components sound like they're booting up fine (HDD stops clicking, disc drive hums, et cetera), when I let go it goes immediately back to flickering. In either case the system doesn't post at all though.

I've had to troubleshoot component problems before, so I went through the regular steps: I took the MB out of the case and systematically checked each component (ran all the checks twice with alternate PSUs). I also cleared CMOS a number of times during the process. In all the cases it continued to behave exactly as above. I've opened a ticket with Asus as I think it's a faulty motherboard; I just find the MemTest part odd, because seemingly everything works fine when I hold it down.

Thought I would open it up to the community as I'm having a hard time finding people with the same issue, anyone have any ideas about what's going on?

Thanks in advance,
Skyler

Running Windows 7 64-Bit on the following system:

CPU: Intel Core i7-980 Gulftown 3.33GHz LGA 1366 130W Six-Core Desktop Processor BX80613I7980
MOBO: ASUS Sabertooth X58 LGA 1366 Intel X58 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
RAM: CORSAIR Vengeance 24GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600
HSF: Noctua NH-C14 140mm x 2 SSO CPU Cooler
OS and Game HDD: Crucial M4 CT256M4SSD2 2.5" 256GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
HDD: 1TB Samsung
PSU: SILVERSTONE ST1200 1200W ATX12V / EPS12V
GPU #1: PowerColor AX6870X2 2GBD5-2DHG Radeon HD 6870 x2 2GB 2 X 256bit
GPU #2: MSI R6870 Hawk Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit
m
l
a c 118 Ĉ ASUS
a c 468 V Motherboard
May 14, 2012 8:52:19 PM

have you tried powering up the system with one stick of ram to see if the ram pulling to much voltage or it not on the mb qal list for a completely loaded system.
m
l
Related resources
May 16, 2012 1:48:46 AM

Hello,

Glad (not really I guess), that someone else is in the same boat.

First, smorizio, yes I have tried that and different RAM to rule out compatibility - even though mine is listed.

Second, since this post I have RMAed both the CPU and MB to no avail. I have also replaced all the internal wiring, and currently have the entire system (including wires) outside the case to totally rule out a short. My suspicion is that something is wrong with the CPU socket - I don't think Asus checks the socket during an RMA (not covered under the warranty). It also seems likely considering the Memtest behavior I described and the normal boot sequence for a computer.

Lastly, abyshai, I've had the issue that you're describing as well on my previous build (ended up prompting this build actually). For me it ended up being the CPU...I replaced every other part before getting to that conclusion though. Honestly though, the symptoms are either PSU, MB, or CPU related - given the ATX behavior it sounds like your MB is mostly good; I may be biased at this point, but my money is on your CPU.

I'm getting an entirely new MB this week, I'll updated when I have it installed.
m
l
October 2, 2012 4:41:04 PM

What were your results? Was it the motherboard?

I have what appears to be the exact same problem but I haven't RMA'd anything yet.

Howard
m
l
October 2, 2012 5:51:29 PM

Hi Howard,

It ended up being the CPU socket, I believe a few of the pins were bent, but it's also possible that there was thermal paste on them.

In either case, I ended up getting a new motherboard and it solved the problem. I wasn't able to RMA it because the CPU socket isn't covered under the warranty.

Howard_Woodard said:
What were your results? Was it the motherboard?

I have what appears to be the exact same problem but I haven't RMA'd anything yet.

Howard

m
l
October 3, 2012 10:54:21 AM

My computer suddenly one day refused to load up Windows 7. .... I had this same issue with my sabertooth x58. .... button, and the fans on both the CPU and the video card start to spin, and LED_MEM & LED_CPU both go red.
m
l
!