Solved

Help needed on new build

Approximate Purchase Date: Flexible but prefer in next 2 weeks

Budget Range: 1600-2000 CDN

System Usage: Software Development, Database Development, Website Development, Online Streaming, Graphic Intensive Games, Movies

Parts not required: Monitor, Keyboard, Mouse, Webcam, Speakers

Country of Origin: Canada

Parts Preference: newegg.ca

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe (If it’s within the budget)

Monitor: LG 23’’ with 1920x1080

Additional Comments: This is my first PC build. The rig is for both work and entertainment. I have been researching a bit for the past three days and these are the parts I have shortlisted. I would like the experts here to pitch in with their suggestions and opinions on how good are the parts, will they fair up with my needs and if they all are compatible. I do not have any leeway with the budget limit of 2000 dollars.

CPU: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070
Intel Core i7 2600K 3.4 GHz with 8M Cache.... $319.99

Motherborad: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157231
ASRock P67 EXTREME6 (B3) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard... $229.99
OR
http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131701
ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard... $239.99

RAM: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820233144
CORSAIR Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model CMZ8GX3M2A1600C9... $98.99

Graphics Card: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102914
SAPPHIRE 100312SR Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity... $274.99

Hard Drive: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820167042
Intel 510 Series (Elm Crest) SSDSC2MH120A2K5 2.5" 120GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)... $314.99

Optical Drive: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827136189
LG Black 10X BD-ROM 16X DVD-ROM SATA Internal Blu-ray Disc Combo Model CH10LS20 R LightScribe Support... $79.99

Power Supply: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817171056
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro Gold Series RSA00-80GAD3-US 1000W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V v2.92 SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS GOLD Certified Modular
Active PFC Power Supply... $199.99

Tower: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811119225
COOLER MASTER HAF X RC-942-KKN1 Black Steel/ Plastic ATX Full Tower Computer Case... $189.99

Thank You in advance.

Cheers!
14 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about help needed build
  1. Looks great, Id just get the ASRock. Also maybe get this reference HIS for $20 less: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814161355&cm_re=6950-_-14-161-355-_-Product

    Also for the PSU, switch to the AX-850: http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817151102

    (850W is even a bit overkill, since dual 6950s have plenty of headroom even with a 750W unit)

    Other than that, look like a great balanced build.
  2. Great build, get the ASUS mobo. And you don't need 1000W PSU, heck even a quality 750W Corsair PSU would power 2x6950's (for example).

    I'd say get a 750W Corsair PSU (TX750) and use the rest of the money for a better GPU like HD 6970 or GTX570.
  3. Thank you for the quick reply guys!

    I know it was a overkill to go with a 1000w PSU but I was trying to future proof myself. I am a newbiee so I wasn't sure how best calculate the wattage for my new rig but the idea was if I want to upgrade to a secong graphics card, add couple of terabytes of SATA hard drives (may be a RAID 0 setup), add a new water CPU cooler, I might need more juice from my PSU.

    As for the mobo, I was leaning towards the ASRock for the most part but when I came acrross the ASUS yesterday I started to lean towards it. Simply because I was getting almost the same functionality for the same price and ASUS being a better brand name.
  4. pssandhu said:
    Thank you for the quick reply guys!

    I know it was a overkill to go with a 1000w PSU but I was trying to future proof myself. I am a newbiee so I wasn't sure how best calculate the wattage for my new rig but the idea was if I want to upgrade to a secong graphics card, add couple of terabytes of SATA hard drives (may be a RAID 0 setup), add a new water CPU cooler, I might need more juice from my PSU.

    As for the mobo, I was leaning towards the ASRock for the most part but when I came acrross the ASUS yesterday I started to lean towards it. Simply because I was getting almost the same functionality for the same price and ASUS being a better brand name.


    Also think about the HD 6970/GTX570 option of you're getting a 750W PSU, if you don't upgrade often, cause you'll notice a difference in high res such as 1080p in the future.
  5. You have a great build there. I just threw this in to give you another idea to look at. The CM HAF X is a great case...probably as good as it gets for large vid cards. But it's the size of a small house. This case down below is large yet not so large. The Asrock extreme4 comes with a front black front panel with 2x 3.0 USB ports and a 2.5" SSD bracket that fits right on the case. Also a 750w is more than enough to power two 560's, but I threw this 950w Silver rated PC & P psu for the fact you wanted to leave yourself some head room. Dual 560's > single 580. Also something to think about is those cake cutter h/s on that Corsair RAM might impede a decent size cpu h/s. Those RAM h/s are great for looks and combing your hair, but not so good when it comes to trying to fit a cpu h/s.

    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=6_112&item_id=023780 $ 89.99
    Cooler Master HAF 922 Mid Tower ATX Case (RC-922M-KKN1-GP)

    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=33_441&item_id=034421 $139.88
    PC Power & Cooling (PPCMK2S950) Silencer MK II 950W Power Supply

    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=26_722&item_id=037625 Mail-in Rebate -$5.00 $174.99
    ASRock P67 Extreme4 (B3)Socket 1155 Intel P67 Chipset Dual-Channel DDR3 2133(OC)/1866(OC)/1600/1333/1066Mhz 7.1 CH HD Audio Gigabit LAN 4x SATAIII 6.0 Gb/s 4xSATAII 3.0Gb/s 3x USB 3.0 6x USB 2.0 ATX

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115070 $319.99 FREE SHIPPING
    Intel Core i7-2600K Sandy Bridge 3.4GHz (3.8GHz Turbo Boost) 4 x 256KB L2 Cache 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor

    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=24_311_312_612&item_id=035786 $97.99
    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series DDR3 1600MHz (PC3-12800) 8GB (2x4GB) Dual Channel Kit (F3-12800CL9D-8GBXL)

    http://www.canadacomputers.com/product_info.php?cPath=43_557_559&item_id=036039 Mail-in Rebate -$25.00 Sale Price$ 234.99
    Gigabyte (GV-N560OC-1GI) nVidia GeForce GTX 560Ti (900MHz) 1GB (4000MHz) GDDR5 Dual Dual-Link DVI/Mini-HDMI PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card

    http://www.madshrimps.be/articles/article/1000116#axzz1EqpvWFEN <---Review on that Asrock motherboard after the latest bios update

    http://www.hardwareheaven.com/reviews/1098/pg2/asrock-extreme4-p67-and-fatal1ty-professional-p67-vs-x58-with-core-i7-950-review-asrock-p67-extreme4.html <---Review on that Asrock motherboard after the latest bios update

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/4080/welcome-to-sandy-bridge-with-the-asrock-p67-extreme4 <--- Review before the latest bios...and it still smoked the Asus and Gigabyte boards

    http://www.asrock.com/news/events/201102ex/warranty.html <---- Asrock two year warranty

    http://www.asrock.com/mb/overview.asp?Model=P67%20Extreme4 <----- ASRock P67 Extreme4 Motherboard <---the panel is on this link w/pics
  6. Best answer
    MoBo I don't see the niche for the Deluxe..... for $20 extra you can have the Asus WS Revolution. It beats the competition (Gigabyte UD7) in every bench but the surprising thing for me in the article was the page on temperature and power. It does x16 x16 as opposed to the x8 x8 in SLI / CF on the Deluxe. With the Sabertooth at $219 and the Revolution at $259, I don't see the purpose of the Deluxe.

    http://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/3795/asus_p8p67_ws_revolution_intel_p67_express_motherboard/index.htmlis relevant but, though I have oft been told that CAS doesn't matter for gaming, I came across this recently:

    Skip the tall heatsinks and the CAS 9 Vengeance. Given your other work related uses, this matters and I have oft been told that CAS doesn't matter for gaming. However i came across this article recently where a bump down of just two CAS resulted in significant game performance increases.

    http://www.anandtech.com/show/2792/12

    22.3 % (SLI) increase in minimum frame rated w/ C6 instead of C8 in Far Cry 2
    18% (single card) / 5% (SLI) increase in minimum frame rated w/ C6 instead of C8 in Dawn of war
    15% (single card) / 5% (SLI) increase in minimum frame rated w/ C6 instead of C8 in World in Conflict

    Moving from CAS 9 to CAS 7 adds 2.5% to a $2k build and many would consider that kind of improvement worth 2.5%. I used these in several recent builds:

    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820226178

    GFX - That 6950 is a bit expensive on a dollars per frame basis. The 900 MHz 560 Ti's do better in Guru3D's test suite but of course you can chnage the game lineup and make the answer anything you want. Pretty close as single cards but when paired in SLI / CF the 560 pulls away

    6850 (371/634)
    6950 (479/751)
    6950 Frozr OC (484/759)
    560 Ti (455/792)
    6970 (526/825)
    560 Ti - 900 Mhz (495/862)
    570 (524/873)
    580 (616/953)
    6990 (762/903)
    590 (881/982)

    SSD - The Vertex 3 toasts the 510....mine is sitting in FedEx Depot where it was delivered yesterday. FedEx deliver son Saturday but newegg has a silly policy of no Saturday deliveries. Here's THG's Intel 510 review conclusion wheree the 1st thing said is it losses to the Vertex 3 .... and its cheaper.

    http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/ssd-510-solid-state-6gbps,2881-10.html

    HD - Given your stated uses, the SSD is going to fill up in a week .... a big fast HD like the Barracuda XT seems an automatic.

    http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=708&Itemid=60&limit=1&limitstart=10

    Quote:
    For a hard drive, the Barracuda XT series offers the best performance available from a 7200 RPM mechanical storage device.


    http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822148506

    Case / PSU - The HAF-X is an excellent case .... not my favorite but my 2nd favorite.....the PSU you have chose .... well not so hot. And ...wow....$390 for the combo. Consider the DF-85 w/ CP-850 ... I have built w/ both and I much prefer the DF-85 . One of the reasons I do is that it fits CPX form factor PSU's .... and if that doesn't mean anything to you it's like having a race where you get to drive w/ a V-12 and everyone else has to carry the same load with in inline 4.

    Jonnyguru.com gives the CP-850 a 10.0 performance rating .... and states:

    http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story4&reid=142

    Quote:
    It is completely unmatched by any ATX unit on the market I can think of. You'd have to spend twice as much as this thing costs to find the next best thing, performance wise.


    silentpcreview states:

    Quote:
    The Antec CP-850 is a superlative power supply by almost any standard. Its electrical performance is up at the level of its more expensive brethren, the Signature 650 and 850, and Seasonic's flagship, the M12D-850: Voltage regulation is extremely tight for all the lines at all loads, and the ripple noise is amazingly low .... The Antec CP-850 is a superlative power supply by almost any standard. Its electrical performance is up at the level of its more expensive brethren, the Signature 650 and 850, and Seasonic's flagship, the M12D-850: Voltage regulation is extremely tight for all the lines at all loads, and the ripple noise is amazingly low

    Antec has used an integrated systems approach for its CP-850 and its best cases, and if that approach is an advantage over all other case/PSU combinations, then, all the more power to Antec! .... For the quiet-seeking computer gaming enthusiast, the CP-850 (along with any of the [four] compatible cases) is something of a godsend.


    DF-85 $155 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811129087
    CP-850 $140 http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817371024&Tpk=CP-850

    That's almost $100 cheaper than your original choices....perhaps enough savings here to add that 2nd GFX Card :) ?
  7. Why_Me, JackNaylor, I think you guys have this handled. Keep in mind his budget and system usage preference. That means lots of RAM.

    OP, I'd say the OCZ Vertex 3 instead of the Intel because of the difference in write speeds. Unfortunately, it's out of stock at Newegg right now.

    @JackNaylor--your chart about the efficiency of the GTX 560 Ti is handy, but does it include an unlocked 6950 2GB? Also, can you please site your source for where the GTX 560 beats the 6950 in SLI/Crossfire? I'd heard the Radeons scaled better. Of course, Tom's Hardware appears to have a slight Radeon bias (like most of us have AMD over Intel biases). See: http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/crossfire-sli-3-way-scaling,2865-12.html
  8. Thank you all. I am going through each and everyones suggestion here and me being the rookie that I am, it's taking time to digest and and make sense of it all.

    @JackNaylor, quick questions for you on the 560 Ti and CP 850. I am going through the specs and under 560 Ti it states "Minimum 500W or greater system power supply (with a minimum 12V current rating of 30A)" and when I read the specs for the CP 850, it is saying "Output: +3.3V@24A, +5V@30A, +12V1@22A, +12V2@22A, +12V3@25A, +12V4@25A, -12V@0.6A, +5VSB@3.0A".

    Again I am not sure if I am reading the right but I do not see anywhere under the CP850 a 12V with a 30A dedicated rail. Are these compatible?

    Thanks
  9. The CP850 is multirail, which can still provide plenty of power. 12V x 22A = 264 Watts. NVidia's website states a maximum power draw of 170W for the GTX 560 Ti, which is probably an overestimate. Rest assured, the CP850 provides more than that.

    It's worth considering and being skeptical of power supplies. When connecting parts, it can be worth it t consider which connections you use from which rails, but with a typical single graphics card setup on a CP850, you'll be fine.

    500W is an overestimate by the card manufacturer so they don't get blamed for inadequate PSUs. A good 400W could power that system, but I wouldn't recommend it.
  10. Okay, so I have gone through all the suggestions, done some reading online, made myself familiar with some of the technologies and looked at lot of benchmark reviews. Keeping all that in mind and my budget, I have changed the build to the following:

    LG Black Blu-ray Disc Combo SATA Model CH10LS20 R LightScribe Support.... $79.99

    Antec DF-85 Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window.... $169.99

    Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor.... $309.99

    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 100314SR Video Card with Eyefinity.... $209.99

    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory.... $201.98

    OCZ Vertex 3 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD).... $309.99

    ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0) Extended ATX Intel Motherboard.... $364.99

    Antec CP-1000 1000W Continuous Power Supply (80+ Certified) .... $130.49

    As you can see above, I have decided to give my system a major memory boost from 8GB to 16GB and went with GSkill Ripjaws series which they are advertising as optimised for P67 chipset and it has a CAS latency of 7. This added a total of 100 dollars to the build. So, in order to fit this in my budget I decided to go with a Saphire Radeon 6870 card instead of 6950. Based on the reviews and benchmarks I have been reading online, there isn't much of a difference (6950 has a 9% performance boost over 6870). Also, I took JackNaylorPE's advice and I am going with the Antec DF-85 Tower, CP-1000 PSU (I know you adviced for a 850 but I might be adding more drives and crosfire in future) and Vertex 3 SSD. Thank you JackNaylorPE, those were excelent suggestions. I also upgraded my motherboard to ASUS Maximum becase I really like the features and layout of this mobo.

    I am planning to put in an order for these mid next week. I am giving some time to the experts here to come back and point out any major flaws with this build that I might have overlooked. After which I will close this thread.

    Thank you all for your help.

    Cheers!
    pssandhu
  11. pssandhu said:
    Okay, so I have gone through all the suggestions, done some reading online, made myself familiar with some of the technologies and looked at lot of benchmark reviews. Keeping all that in mind and my budget, I have changed the build to the following:

    LG Black Blu-ray Disc Combo SATA Model CH10LS20 R LightScribe Support.... $79.99

    Antec DF-85 Black Computer Case With Side Panel Window.... $169.99

    Intel Core i7-2600K 3.4GHz LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor.... $309.99

    SAPPHIRE Radeon HD 6870 100314SR Video Card with Eyefinity.... $209.99

    G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (4 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory.... $201.98

    OCZ Vertex 3 2.5" MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD).... $309.99

    ASUS MAXIMUS IV EXTREME (REV 3.0) Extended ATX Intel Motherboard.... $364.99

    Antec CP-1000 1000W Continuous Power Supply (80+ Certified) .... $130.49

    As you can see above, I have decided to give my system a major memory boost from 8GB to 16GB and went with GSkill Ripjaws series which they are advertising as optimised for P67 chipset and it has a CAS latency of 7. This added a total of 100 dollars to the build. So, in order to fit this in my budget I decided to go with a Saphire Radeon 6870 card instead of 6950. Based on the reviews and benchmarks I have been reading online, there isn't much of a difference (6950 has a 9% performance boost over 6870). Also, I took JackNaylorPE's advice and I am going with the Antec DF-85 Tower, CP-1000 PSU (I know you adviced for a 850 but I might be adding more drives and crosfire in future) and Vertex 3 SSD. Thank you JackNaylorPE, those were excelent suggestions. I also upgraded my motherboard to ASUS Maximum becase I really like the features and layout of this mobo.

    I am planning to put in an order for these mid next week. I am giving some time to the experts here to come back and point out any major flaws with this build that I might have overlooked. After which I will close this thread.

    Thank you all for your help.

    Cheers!
    pssandhu


    Good build, but you can get 8GB RAM and from the saved money get 2x HD 6850 for 10-15$ more instead of the HD 6870. Everything else is good.
  12. unknown_13 said:
    Good build, but you can get 8GB RAM and from the saved money get 2x HD 6850 for 10-15$ more instead of the HD 6870. Everything else is good.


    Wow, that was quick! Well the reason for adding more memory is that other than doing graphic intensive activities, I am also going to be using this for work. I am a developer and I deal with lot of Microsoft products (Office, Visio, SQL Server, Visual Studios etc..) which traditionally have been really heavy on memory. I was trying to give myself enough room with this so that if I have five applications running which I know are memory intensive, I won't have to suffer any downtime because of this.

    However, the gamer side of me is very attracted and tempted by your suggestion :-) I'll definetly put more thought into this.

    Thanks
  13. pssandhu said:
    Wow, that was quick! Well the reason for adding more memory is that other than doing graphic intensive activities, I am also going to be using this for work. I am a developer and I deal with lot of Microsoft products (Office, Visio, SQL Server, Visual Studios etc..) which traditionally have been really heavy on memory. I was trying to give myself enough room with this so that if I have five applications running which I know are memory intensive, I won't have to suffer any downtime because of this.

    However, the gamer side of me is very attracted and tempted by your suggestion :-) I'll definetly put more thought into this.

    Thanks


    Np, if you're in a dare need of those 16GB RAM ok then, the HD 6870 will play any game on high @ 1080p by itself with some AA/AF on. But 2xHD 6850's are equal to a GTX580, (of course they cost almost half the price of an 580 :))
  14. Best answer selected by pssandhu.
Ask a new question

Read More

New Build Systems Product