Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Mobo/Memory Issues

Tags:
Last response: in Memory
March 18, 2012 9:12:21 PM

Hello, awhile back I decided to upgrade my RAM from some default 1gb stick that was included. I purchased the G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 1066 (PC2 8500) Dual Channel Kit. When I tried installing the 2 sticks my computer would not boot and offered a memory issue beep code. I was able to get it to boot using 1 of the sticks only, with my video card (512mb Radeon HD 3600). I then tried just the sticks alone without the video card and that worked as well, although if I remember correctly; only in safemode...Recently I decided to try to get it working again and looked at my motherboard specifications. I have a MS-7387 and I noticed it said it supports DDR2 667/533/400 memory. The GSKILL sticks I purchased are 1066, is this why they won't work? How come then one works and I was also able to boot with them both in safemode?

More about : mobo memory issues

a b } Memory
March 18, 2012 9:19:03 PM

From the MS-7387 webpage...
Quote:
Main Memory

• Supports two unbuffered 240-pin DIMM of 1.8 Volt DDR2 SDRAM
• Supports up to 4GB memory size.
• Supports DDR2 400/533/667 memory interface.
Go use the BIOS to restore the default memory settings.
Score
March 18, 2012 9:37:17 PM

My BIOS doesn't appear to have any memory settings, but I tried setting them to default as well as fail-safe and optimized. All of them give the same response...memory beep code.
Score
Related resources

Best solution

March 19, 2012 1:13:23 AM

Hello canfuzed, This is from the top of my head and may not be completely accurate. But here it goes:

As far as I know, Graffic card memory is RAM, and the BIOS allocates it as such, and re-searvs it for video use only, remember, somehow pictures have to make it from the CPU to the video. Thus meaning that if you have 2GB of RAM and your 512MB video card, your system really sees 2.5GB of RAM. So, when you install another 2GB, your system sees 4.5GB, since it only supports 4GB, it judges a memory error.

Normally from what I've read, computers just relocate the RAM, and ignore XXXXMB of top memory, but this could be a bug in your system.

=============================== EDIT =========================
I just went digging through some intel docs ( This one to be exact.)

And it states that the last thing the BIOS allocates is system memory. It should do something like this:

The BIOS itself (1MB)
Local APIC (4kb)
chipset (2MB)
IOAPIC (4kb)
PCI-E (512MB) (here is your video card)
System RAM.

Now, the local APIC, chipset, and IOAPIC could possibly use your system RAM. But, the video card has it's own memory, 512MB, this is allocated in the memory map for the OS and CPU to access. Now the BIOS, SHOULD just chop 512MB from your system RAM... But... my best guess is that it, as I said before, has a bug...

March 22, 2012 5:19:56 AM

Best answer selected by canfuzed.
Score
a c 146 } Memory
March 22, 2012 9:48:49 AM

This topic has been closed by Nikorr
Score
!