Ricemaster

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
Hello,
I have a COMPAQ Presario CQ60 laptop, and I'd like to get a new processor(AMD Athlon II X3 455) and a graphics card, but apparently, these- or at least the graphics card- are soldiered to the motherboard. I'd like a new motherboard, but I don't know what I need to get. Does anyone know a cheap base laptop motherboard? And a cheap graphics card, maybe?

Coty0010

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
Hello Ricemaster,

AFAIK you can't just replace a laptop motherboard. They're not like desktop motherboards, the manufacturer just builds then however they want to, if you take 3 different laptops apart you will notices the screw map, USBs, video out, eathernet ect. are all in different places, the closest you will come to replacing the mother board is if the manufacturer offered your laptop with a bunch of different features. Then you could put the upper-scale mobo out of one into yours.

Most of the time graffics cards are built onto the motherboard, However, I have seen one (not so cheap) laptop that have detachable nvidia chips, but nothing like you see in desktops, it was more like a CPU socket, my guess is the manufacturer, offered different cards on that model, and tried to cut costs by making just one mobo and 3 chips or something.

--
Cheers! -Coty Miller