Video Card Help!!

shannon684

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
I am trying to update an older computer with a newer video card. Currently the computer contains a video card that does not work with today's newer monitors.

Here are the specs on the computers:

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?lc=en&dlc=en&cc=us&docname=c00234149

First thing I did was upgraded the memory from the 512MB to 2GB which crucial scan told me it could support - no problems

I didn't want to have to upgrade the power supply so I purchased a lower end video card. I only need the card to work for a new monitor, no gaming needs - just general internet browsing, word processing.

I bought this card:
http://www.centrsource.ca/diablotek-v7500-p64-radeon-7500-video-card-64mb-ddr-pci-dvi-vga-video-card-tiger-direct-o102131/

I installed the video card, turned on the computer and a series of beeps occurred. The computer powered fine but the monitor would only stay in stand-by or sleep mode. When I turned the monitor again, it would power itself down.

I tried the new monitor that I bought however it said there was no video connection found and went into sleep mode.

What am I missing here?

Appreciate all your help!!

Well thats a pretty old PC and this part of the specs sticks out like a sore thumb.

Memory
Component Attributes
Ram (installed) 512 MB (1X512MB)
Maximum allowed 1 GB (2 x 512MB)
Speed supported PC2700 MB/sec
Type 184 pin, DDR1-333 SDRAM
DIMM slots Two
Open slots One available

What i would do first is put the memory back as it was and try the card to see if its the memory that is causing the issue as its officially unsuported by your motherboard.

Mactronix :)

shannon684

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2011
Thanks!

Hmm I just noticed that about the memory which is weird because awhile ago I upgraded the 512MB and added another 1GB into the empty slot - all I did this time was remove the 512MB and put 1GB in. I will try swapping the new memory card for the old one and see if I can get the video card to work