Radeon HD 4870 X2 still locking/crashing

Tags:
  • Radeon
  • Drivers
  • World Of Warcraft
  • Graphics
Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 5, 2011 3:03:32 PM

I have tried all the published fixes, except the bios flash, my drivers are confirmed as up to date and the old drivers have been COMPLETELY removed( safe mode, deleted drivers, used CCleaner to clean out remnants on C: and reg, dl'd and installed new drivers[dated 1/4/11]), but my VC is still locking up in WoW.
Spoke to ATI on the phone and although they weren't retards and knew about the prob, they pointed at WoW which made me sad :( , I don't play any other 3D's at the moment, but I'm sure the effect would be the same. Bottom line, I don't buy their explaination.
Is anyone else still experiencing the crash/lock up in 3D games?
Should I go ahead and do the bois flash?
If not, how did you fix it?(don't tell me you bought Nvidia, thats not helpful, troll)

Seriously, I'm at my wits end.
What could I have POSSIBLY overlooked?

More about : radeon 4870 locking crashing

February 5, 2011 3:16:46 PM

XP, 32bit
Intel Duo@ 3.17GHz
3GB RAM
Radeon HD 4870 X2, (1024),v8.812.0.0, 1/4/11
ASUS P5Q3 Deluxe MB
Score
a b \ Driver
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 5, 2011 3:30:23 PM

You are feeding the card enough power?
Have you considered that the card could be gone bad?
Score
Related resources
February 5, 2011 4:12:51 PM

Thx, rolli,

I have tried to increase the power slightly, via RivaTuner, but was afraid to exceed any manufacturer tolerences. Would I be able to go as high Riva will allow me without bricking my card?
And yes, I have though of the possibility of the card being bad, but my problem is so incredibly close to the other published problems, and it works fine in other applications, that at this point I'm going to say it's not until I have absolutly exhausted all other possibilies.
thanks again
Score
February 5, 2011 4:14:06 PM

It should also be known that I have not at any time overclocked. I didn't feel this should be necessary, and did not see any benefit in doing so just for WoW.
Score

Best solution

a b \ Driver
a b Ý World of Warcraft
February 5, 2011 4:43:47 PM

If you are not experiencing this issue in other 3D games I would say it is WOW related, but other games as well faulty card.
February 11, 2011 10:58:30 PM

Best answer selected by gtrntr.
Score
February 11, 2011 11:01:48 PM

All other possibilities are att, exhausted.
Problem solved.

...and it's too awkward to even use as a paperweight.Maybe a doorstop?
Score
a b \ Driver
February 12, 2011 8:08:16 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!