Custom PC Turns on for split second then turns off

cheevs

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Hey guys,

New to posting here but have always come here and found answers for previous problems so thanks for that.

So I built my first custom PC this past December with no hiccups whatsoever. Has been running unbelievable for the past 7 months until a few days ago it refused to turn on.

SPECS:
Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid Tower
Motherboard: ASUS P7P55D PRO LGA 1156 Intel P55 ATX Intel Motherboard
Power Supply: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series CMPSU-650TX 650W ATX12V / EPS12V SLI Ready CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS Certified Active PFC Compatible with Core i7 Power Supply
Video Card: MSI N470GTX Twin Frozr II GeForce GTX 470 (Fermi) 1280MB 320-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready SLI Support Video Card
CPU: Intel Core i5-750 Lynnfield 2.66GHz 8MB L3 Cache LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I5750
Hard Drive: Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 ST31500341AS 1.5TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive
RAM: Kingston HyperX Blu 4GB (2 X 2GB) DDR3 1600MHz 240-pin (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory
DVD Drive: LITE-ON DVD Burner - Bulk 24X DVD+R 8X DVD+RW 12X DVD+R DL 24X DVD-R 6X DVD-RW 16X DVD-ROM 48X CD-R 32X CD-RW 48X CD-ROM Black SATA Model iHAS124-04 - OEM

PROBLEM: Computer wont post, when the power button is pressed all fans rotate 2 or 3 times, the cpu led light turns on (red) for a split second then the computer shuts off. If I tried to press the power button again nothing would happen. If i flip the power switch off and then on I would be able to get the fans to spin 2 or 3 times next time I tried to start.

So I read the checklist that shortstuff (http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-boot-video-problems) had put together and went through and double checked everything. I ended up taking off my heatsink fan, cleaning the crap out of it because it was pretty dirty, getting rid of some thermal grease on the cpu left behind by the heatsink (pretty minimal) and my computer worked fine. fully shut off it off 6 times in a row and it booted fine.

Next day it completely regressed back to the same problem. I have tried removing and putting back on the heatsink as well as the original CPU chip, but nothing seems to be working. I have also checked all the connector cables (including the CPU fan and removed the reset switch).

I don't have anything to check the power supply to see if its faulty but I did notice a couple of the capacitors on my motherboard are not perpendicular to the motherboard. They don't show any signs of leakage or rupture at top or bottom but they a couple are leaning and touching each other. Here are some pics:

imag0103k.jpg

imag0102z.jpg

Would these be significant enough problems for my motherboard to be completely shot? Any help would be greatly appreciated :p