Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Please explain importance of Graphics card RAM..

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 5, 2011 3:32:16 PM

Something's been bugging me lately about choosing a graphics card. I can't seem to figure out exactly what part vram plays in gaming and what part normal RAM plays relating to that. Now I intend on playing with alot od Mods (some graphical mods too) and I heard that having more than 4gb of RAM is ideal for that, however if I have 2GB of RAM on my video card, is more than 4GB RAM on my motherboard not needed? Basically do they both have the same function in gaming?

Best solution

a c 201 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
February 5, 2011 3:54:26 PM

Graphics ram and system ram serve very different purposes. System ram holds data for the CPU to work on, graphics ram holds textures and frames that the graphics card will work on and needs to work on, the CPU cannot access the graphics ram and the graphics card cannot access the system ram without going through the GPU/CPU respectively.

For any modern system, i would definitely suggest at least 4GB of system ram especially with prices so low right now, for the graphics card 512MB is enough for up to about 1680x1050, at 1920x1080 and above, 1GB or more of graphics memory starts to prove useful as the frames and textures are much larger and need more space to be stored, especially if you are using AA which is very graphics memory hungry.
February 5, 2011 5:57:57 PM

Best answer selected by atafies.
Score
Related resources
February 5, 2011 6:01:52 PM

hunter315 said:
Graphics ram and system ram serve very different purposes. System ram holds data for the CPU to work on, graphics ram holds textures and frames that the graphics card will work on and needs to work on, the CPU cannot access the graphics ram and the graphics card cannot access the system ram without going through the GPU/CPU respectively.

For any modern system, i would definitely suggest at least 4GB of system ram especially with prices so low right now, for the graphics card 512MB is enough for up to about 1680x1050, at 1920x1080 and above, 1GB or more of graphics memory starts to prove useful as the frames and textures are much larger and need more space to be stored, especially if you are using AA which is very graphics memory hungry.

That makes perfect sense. So I guess any intensive graphical mods (for say, crysis) would be handled solely by the GPU, so investing in a higher vram card would make more sense. Thanks, i was deciding between getting the 1GB 6950 or the 2GB one.
Score
February 5, 2011 7:03:16 PM

The 6950 with 2gb of ram will only be faster at resolutions above 1920x1080. The 2gb version will still be slow as hell at 2560 x 1600 so go with the 1gb version unless you have a 30" monitor and plan to CF down the road.
Score
a c 272 U Graphics card
a b 4 Gaming
February 5, 2011 7:13:20 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!