Sign in with
Your question

Fix for bad address?

Last response: in Memory
March 19, 2012 12:56:49 AM

had a power outage the other night and been getting a few app crashes and whatnot , eventually got around to doin a memtest and found out i have a bad spot in my ram, just 1 address (or rather 1 set of address') guess the outage did something to that ram sector.

so my question is , is there any way to re-address ram on windows 7 like you can in linux (http://gquigs.blogspot.ca/2009/01/bad-memory-howto.html)

did some searches and couldnt find anything for windows.

you would think there would be something to automatically remap ram in case of a bad address in this day and age, (maybe there is and im not aware)

anywho, much apreciated to anyone with info on this topic

More about : fix bad address

a b } Memory
March 19, 2012 8:23:41 PM

Your BIOS might have a RAM re-map the feature in it, some older high performance boards had it.
m
l
March 19, 2012 11:54:49 PM

ive got a maximus 4 extreme and no such luck,it does have a memory remap thing, but not the same thing as what im talking about,has to do with large amounts of system memory/gpu mem and operating systems and mapping tham all together without overlap,
and seems like a no brainer to build an actual remap for bad addresses like this into mobo hardware tho, you sure could save alot of chips from goin to the landfill,but then i guess ram companies wouldnt make as much money

is there any way to write a patch into the nt kernel in windows 7* to avoid a bad sector? it seems way beyond my capabilities, im just wondering if its even possible to do. (*does windows 7 even use nt kernel anymore?)
m
l
March 30, 2012 6:24:11 PM

no-one has any idea how/if this can be done in windows?
m
l
!