Problems with my pc after an overcurrent

Baranchik

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
a couple of days ago, I had a power outage because of an excessive load.

my pc wasn't connected to a UPS.
when I tried to turn it on, i realized it doesn't boot my os , or any other os for that matter (and i tried many live cd's). it usually hangs in the first second, sends a kernel panic (it's a linux), during acpi loading or something like that, just after cpu profile is loaded.

the thing is, it behaves very strangely.
I had done some memtest86+ test, and they all come out clean, but i've noticed that when I complete the test, the os does boot (usually the boot).

when i turn it off, it doesn't boot again.

also, something strange, when I save changes to bios, sometimes it turns off instead off rebooting, which it usually does.

I've also opened the case, did a little cleaning and moved ram to different slots, and no change.

I'll appreciate if anyone can shed some light on this, because even though my pc is only 4 months old, warranty is not that easy to get when it comes to inconsistencies like this.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
You should essentially check everithing - mobo, graphics card, including the PSU, even it seems your systems starts.
Actually you should begin with the PSU - if you have an older one or you can borrow one from somebody for like an hour you may just try it /if you have a weak older one but with compatible with the mobo and videocard wires you may try it with some of your hardware turned off or temporarily removed if it's possible/. If you dont have such option you should carefully check the output characteristics of your PSU - there is an excellent article about all of this on Tom's, but I dont, remember the link, it's cited many times in the forum however...

Baranchik

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Tested your theory, and I put another PSU.
Same issue.

Something I forgot to mention, sometimes the bios turnes off one core of the 4 I have, (Phenom II X4 965) and brings up only the first 3.

Today I had a complain from the bios that the overclock profile can't be set up.
This "OC" is my usuall setup.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
You never mentioned before you are overclocking, and hardly I suppose.
Sorry, but I can't bring you any good news. I can describe to you what happens when a system, working near the thermal edge gets on top of that a power overload, which your PSU obviously was unable to hold and regulate, causing rising of the voltage inside the system- thus - overcurrents /even if the rised voltage don't cause a direct power surge/ but this will hardly help.

pepe2907

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2010
Then you should check everithing in your system, and usually the esaiest way to do this is by changing the components one by one. But you hardly can do this at home.