Sign in with
Your question

Can't enable the 2nd 5850 for crossfire in CCC

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
February 5, 2011 4:22:46 PM

Ok I had a MSI OC version of 5850 before, then I bought another Asus OC because I couldn't find the MSI one anymore.
Both cards run at 765MHz and 4.5Gbs. I have a Evga x58 SLI LE motherboard, though it doesn't specify crossfire but I read online many people are running crossfire on this board.

So I have the latest CCC 11.1 and once my cards are installed, they can both be seen in Afterburner and CCC.
However, the 2nd car in CCC is shown as Disabled in the Hardware section, but it's shown enabled in Windows 7 Device Manager. The AMD CrossFireX Configuration and Diagnostics tabs are available, but everything inside the tabs are disabled and I can't do a thing. I have no way to enable the disabled 2nd card in CCC....

Any help would be appreciated! Oh I also ran Bad Company 2 while running Afterburner, and afterburner showed no activities on my 2nd GPU even when the first one is stressed to nearly 100%.

More about : enable 2nd 5850 crossfire ccc

February 5, 2011 4:54:06 PM

Did you install the drivers after the card?
m
l
February 5, 2011 4:57:37 PM

yes
m
l
Related resources
February 6, 2011 6:06:56 AM

A common fix is to remove both cards, put new card in 1st PCIe slot by itself. Boot up, confirm that the card is recognized. Shut down, replace both cards back in their current slots, reboot and you "should" be good. This has worked for many.
m
l
February 6, 2011 1:15:39 PM

Do what jockey says, but also consider this....

I think the 11.1 drivers have issues with crossfire setups.

I have two PCs. One PC has a single Radeon 5450 on which 11.1 catalyst installed just fine.

My other PC with ATI cards has 3 5850s. When I had 2 5850s crossfired (I just picked up the 3rd yesterday!) and tried installing 11.1 drivers/catalyst on the driver release date, they would not install.

I can't tell you the multi-card set-up is the only difference, but from my experience 11.1 drivers don't play nice with crossfire.

Try the 10.12 driver if you use HDMI for your audio. These worked just fine for me when I was running crossfire.

If you connect to your monitor with a DVI cable, download 11.1a. ATI refers to this version as a hotfix, though it's a full-blown patched installation of the catalyst software and drivers. It's supposed to resolve issues primarily with the 6xxx series cards, though an AMD rep suggested I install this version when I expressed problems with 11.1.

The HDMI/DP Audio part of the 11.1a install will fail, but the video works just fine. 11.1a is what I am currently running on my 3-GPU PC.

Also, when re-installing or upgrading your AMD/ATI catalyst and drivers, always do the 'Add/Remove Programs' or 'Uninstall a Program' option (depends on your windows version) through windows control panel and choose the express uninstall. When it's completed, you're prompted to reboot. Reboot. Then, follow this up with Driver Sweeper (it's a free download) because there will be a ton of ATI registry entries and dlls left even after the uninstall. When it's completed, you're prompted to reboot. Reboot. Then install the new version of the drivers.
m
l
February 7, 2011 4:54:58 PM

mzou said:
Ok I had a MSI OC version of 5850 before, then I bought another Asus OC because I couldn't find the MSI one anymore.
Both cards run at 765MHz and 4.5Gbs. I have a Evga x58 SLI LE motherboard, though it doesn't specify crossfire but I read online many people are running crossfire on this board.

So I have the latest CCC 11.1 and once my cards are installed, they can both be seen in Afterburner and CCC.
However, the 2nd car in CCC is shown as Disabled in the Hardware section, but it's shown enabled in Windows 7 Device Manager. The AMD CrossFireX Configuration and Diagnostics tabs are available, but everything inside the tabs are disabled and I can't do a thing. I have no way to enable the disabled 2nd card in CCC....

Any help would be appreciated! Oh I also ran Bad Company 2 while running Afterburner, and afterburner showed no activities on my 2nd GPU even when the first one is stressed to nearly 100%.

Hi if you go back to ccc10.12 and try that 11.1 only shows one gpu,mack.
m
l
February 7, 2011 6:47:15 PM

I know this might sound like a dumb question, though I don't want to leave out the obvious:

Do you have a crossfire interconnect cable attached to both cards?
m
l
!