I7 870 won't go to full 3.60 Turbo Boost in prime 95?

buffettck

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
I'm running an i7 870 (straight up - no overclocking) on an Intel DP55KG motherboard. Aren't these supposed to bump up from 2.93 to 3.6ghz when fully maxed out via Turbo Boost? I've read in different places where this is true when running prime95. My i7 870 goes to the rated 2.93ghz and stays there.

ghnader hsmithot

Distinguished
Intel has optimized Intel® Turbo Boost Technology¹ to provide even more performance when needed on the latest-generation Intel® microarchitecture code name Sandy Bridge. Intel® Turbo Boost Technology 2.0 automatically allows processor cores to run faster than the base operating frequency if it's operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits.
http://www.intel.com/technology/turboboost/index.htm

Turbo boost isnt activated when all 4 cores are on 100% load.It is to maximise your single thread performance level.

buffettck

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
You can see in this link where the processor kicked up to 3.2ghz across all four physical cores (and 8 logical) while running prime95. Check out the picture just past half way down. So, it CAN go beyond the rated 2.93ghz across all the cores.

From the link:

"Core i7 870 -- And once again as you can see, Prime 95 was running, Turbo mode then kicks in at 3200 MHz distributed over all logical CPU cores. We spot that Hyper Threading is enabled... 8 threads are available to us. nice."

http://www.guru3d.com/article/core-i5-750-core-i7-860-870-processor-review-test/8

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
How high the processor clocks, depends on utilization. The more utilization, the lower the "boost"....i.e. You won't see 3.6ghz with all 4 cores at 100%. This is the important part....and where Ghnader is actually wrong...
Intel® Turbo Boost Technology automatically allows processor cores to run faster than the base operating frequency if it's operating below power, current, and temperature specification limits.
The fewer utilized cores, the higher the "boost"....3.2ghz is the maximum for 4, full utilized physical cores.

Note: I need to add this. I tested Prime95 with multiple thread counts, including attempting to set process affinity. Neither makes any difference. Due to the stress placed on the processor by Prime95, the maximum "boost" provided by "Turbo Boost" is only 300mhz, giving you an effective 3.2ghz. Loading CPU-Z (single-threaded app) bumps me to 3.6ghz according to Intel's turbo boost gadget. I was testing with Prime95 when I made the original post. This note was added after completion of testing.

buffettck

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Okay, then why am I still only seeing 2.93 instead of 3.2ghz when running prime 95? My hottest core was about 68 degC, which is still well below "temperature specification limits".

buffettck

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011

Are you running the Intel DP55KG Extreme series motherboard? I did check and saw there was a new BIOS version just released in July 11. Installed it and...no dice... Damned thing hits 2.93ghz running prime95 and just sits there on any number of cores/threads utilized. 133.35mhz @ 22 when the multiplier should be higher. 27 for 3.6ghz on one core, for example.

buffettck

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Yeah, did that already. Just says 2.93ghz, as advertised. How would it show higher? There's no "stress test" function with that application. I've also run Intel's processor diagnostic tool and it passed everything. Everything is enabled in "CPU technologies", except the last two (vector extension and advanced instructions). 3rd tab says stepping is 5 and CPU is 1E.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
When I run Intel's Processor Identification Utility, it reports a processor speed of 3.2ghz. Turbo Boost has little to do with stress. Turbo Boost is dependent on power draw and temperature. More load doesn't mean more "boost"....it actually means less. "Turbo Boost" will only increase the processor's operating frequency to the point that it reaches the maximum TDP for the processor.

Stepping and CPU model aren't really important. You need to make sure "Enhanced Intel SpeedStep Technology" on the second tab and "Enhanced Halt State" on the 3rd tab both say "Yes". If both say "Yes", and Turbo Boost is enabled in the bios, it should be working. My last motherboard had an option in it's bios to set the multiplier between 12 and 22, or to "auto". Any setting other than "auto" disabled Turbo Boost as well. Look through your bios and see if maybe you have a similar option.

buffettck

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Checked all that too. Just went through the BIOS earlier. And, as per my previous post, I ensured Speed Step and Enhanced Halt State said "Yes". You were the one who told me to check for C1E, but now you say it's not "really important"?

What are you using to see the current CPU speed?? If it's CPUZ, that's your problem.

Use this: http://www.intel.com/support/processors/sb/CS-031038.htm

Also try running Intel Burn Test. You can use 1, 2, 3, 4... 8 threads and see how it affects the speed.

Also, in all the testing and running of my CPU with turbo boost on it was strictly dependant on how many threads were running, and had absolutely nothing to do with thermal limits or power draw. And I ran as high as 177 base clock with turbo on.

As for the BIOS options, strictly speaking you need EIST (speed step) and C States enabled, and the CPU multiplier has to be either Auto or whatever the default highest is. For example my i5 750 would automatically use turbo even if I had turbo set to disabled, if I was using the 21x multiplier with EIST and C States enabled (my turbo is 21x up to 24x). But if I used 20x multiplier, no dice.

buffettck

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
What's wrong with CPUZ? Heck, you have it down in your signature line. I also monitor the speed with RealTemp GT. What else would you recommend?

It also looks like you're OC'ing, which I'm not doing, so that isn't a factor here. My BIOS is set to "automatic". When I set it to manual, the highest multiplier I can select is 22 (default), but I left it in automatic.

It shows the right clock speeds below for each number of cores. 3.6 with a multiplier of 27 for one core, 3.2 with a multiplier of 24 for four cores, etc...

But, I'm quite frustrated enough at this point. Looks like the expensive option I paid for may not be working (either Intel CPU and/OR motherboard) and I really don't want to have to tear my new build apart and RMA the crap. I'll try that Intel burn utility (and speed monitoring app you suggest) and if that doesn't show anything promising, then I'll just continue to use it stuck at a slow ass 2.93ghz. LOL

edited to add: I see that utility is, indeed, a speed monitoring app. I'll try it with prime95 and Intel Burn... Thanks.

buffettck

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
Looks like I'm basically FUBAR. Damn it... Every relevant setting mentioned in this thread is perfectly set and enabled in BIOS. Ran several burn tests at max stress level and 128 threads and everything in between. Freakin' CPU just hits 2.93ghz and stays there. I do have the Intel Desktop Control Center installed and did some overclocking with it in the past, but I put everything back to factory defaults. That shouldn't have anything to do with it, I'd think... Maybe I'll try uninstalling it and see what happens. Can't hurt.

buffettck

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011

Well, I'm using several clock monitoring apps and they all show the same thing. I uninstalled the Intel Desktop Controller. No difference. 2.93ghz looks like it's all I'm going to get. Bummer, since I paid for that Turbo Boost... Darned thing should just work with a friggin' INTEL 1156 MOTHERBOARD. :fou:

I wonder how much of a difference I'd notice it anyway if it were to actually work.