Sign in with
Your question

ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 Not powering on

Last response: in Motherboards
March 19, 2012 8:14:45 AM

Hello all, have a slight problem that I hope someone has dealt with already. I recently bought a new case, PSU, and SSD to complete my new build from several months ago. I already had this system up and running with a different case/PSU/HDD but was running out of room and the PSU was just not up to task for more components and overall power. So I purchased the new case and upgraded the PSU and bought a SSD to install Windows on. After putting everything together, changing the boot priority in bios to look at CDROM first, it didn't start loading Win from the CDROM. Even though all settings pointed to it and it saw the drives just fine. So after reading around a bit, some people said to clear the CMOS. Well after that, now the system doesn't even start up at all, just a momentary blip and fans spin up but then nothing...ever. I have tried resetting CMOS a few other times, removing the battery for a few minutes and even over several hours. But nothing. :(  Any thoughts?

System Specs:

MB: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 with 1.0 BIOS shipped
CPU: Intel i5-2500k
Cooler:CM Hyper212+
RAM:CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 1600
GPU: EVGA GTX460se
Optical: Pioneer BD202 Blu-ray SATA
HDD: Seagate 2x 1TB 7200rpm SATA3, WD 1TB 7200rpm SATA3, Seagate 500GB 7200 SATA2
SSD: Samsung 830 128GB SATA3
Case: CM Storm Trooper
Misc: Razer Naga mouse, Logitec Wave keyboard
March 19, 2012 11:50:19 AM

nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!! good !!!!!!!!!!! super!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
m
l
Related resources
March 19, 2012 11:10:21 PM

ragavang43 said:
nice !!!!!!!!!!!!!! good !!!!!!!!!!! super!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

um, ok...that was helpful
m
l
March 20, 2012 4:15:41 AM

Well most of that doesn't pertain to what my question was about, but I still read it thoroughly and still don't have an answer to why after CMOS clear it won't boot up....must be something wrong with the board but that perplexes me since it worked before.
Albeit that it wouldn't install windows from the CDROM for some reason.
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2012 5:00:25 AM

maybe i misread your post when you said fans spin up then nothing.

do the fans shut off?
then its very likely a power connection.

also "breadboard" it; connect the minimum and start from there. a motherboard doesn't suddenly go bad because you reset the bios.
m
l
March 20, 2012 5:09:15 AM

Anonymous said:
maybe i misread your post when you said fans spin up then nothing.

do the fans shut off?
then its very likely a power connection.

also "breadboard" it; connect the minimum and start from there. a motherboard doesn't suddenly go bad because you reset the bios.

Yeah, that's what I am thinking, was just looking to see if someone had the same board and possibly had a similar experience with this.

I will do the breadboard approach and see if that reveals anything. But I have serious doubts as to that being the issue since nothing has changed other than a reset.

I will post afterwards.

Thanks for quick response. Cheers
m
l
Anonymous
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2012 5:12:45 AM

benjammn said:
Yeah, that's what I am thinking, was just looking to see if someone had the same board and possibly had a similar experience with this.

I will do the breadboard approach and see if that reveals anything. But I have serious doubts as to that being the issue since nothing has changed other than a reset.

I will post afterwards.

Thanks for quick response. Cheers

your welcome but i just noticed . . . . l'm in the asrock section?!?!?

ooops sorry :lol: 
m
l
March 22, 2012 7:26:22 AM

benjammn said:
Hello all, have a slight problem that I hope someone has dealt with already. I recently bought a new case, PSU, and SSD to complete my new build from several months ago. I already had this system up and running with a different case/PSU/HDD but was running out of room and the PSU was just not up to task for more components and overall power. So I purchased the new case and upgraded the PSU and bought a SSD to install Windows on. After putting everything together, changing the boot priority in bios to look at CDROM first, it didn't start loading Win from the CDROM. Even though all settings pointed to it and it saw the drives just fine. So after reading around a bit, some people said to clear the CMOS. Well after that, now the system doesn't even start up at all, just a momentary blip and fans spin up but then nothing...ever. I have tried resetting CMOS a few other times, removing the battery for a few minutes and even over several hours. But nothing. :(  Any thoughts?

System Specs:

MB: ASRock P67 Extreme4 Gen3 with 1.0 BIOS shipped
CPU: Intel i5-2500k
Cooler:CM Hyper212+
RAM:CORSAIR Vengeance 16GB (4 x 4GB) 1600
GPU: EVGA GTX460se
Optical: Pioneer BD202 Blu-ray SATA
HDD: Seagate 2x 1TB 7200rpm SATA3, WD 1TB 7200rpm SATA3, Seagate 500GB 7200 SATA2
SSD: Samsung 830 128GB SATA3
Case: CM Storm Trooper
Misc: Razer Naga mouse, Logitec Wave keyboard

I have this EXACT same problem have a gtx 560 ti, i5-2500k, p67 gen3 and when I try to turn it on everything starts running for about 3-4 seconds then it all dies! I really don't understand it :( . I thought I had a bad motherboard at first so I exchanged it for a different one and the same thing kept happening. I tried using the bare minimum to start it and same thing still happens... I have a HX 650W i believe.
m
l
March 28, 2012 11:59:46 PM

I did the entire check list of things suggested by both this forum and what ASRock suggested and yet it is still the same, very frustrated. Probably have to send it in to them to have it looked at. Really want to get this thing up and running soon.
m
l
April 9, 2012 3:30:40 AM

nothing yet to explain it....irritating
m
l
April 9, 2012 9:10:55 PM

Yeah I just ended up getting z68 extreme 3 gen 3 and it works fine lol. My graphics card driver keeps dying and it makes my computer restart... but I think that is just the graphics card so going to try another one.
m
l
May 8, 2012 4:00:32 AM

So after much frustration, I have an old Antec PS and it works just fine. Odd since it is over 6yrs old and is not as nice as the Seasonic that I just bought. Everything powered on just fine and I am currently working on it right now as I type this. Confused to say the least. Now I am stuck with a brand new PS that doesn't seem to play nice with this mobo. Maybe someone will know something to make my new PS work.
m
l
June 6, 2012 5:30:59 AM

I have the same damn problem. Powers on for 3-4 seconds then shuts down with the MB light still on. Maybe my PSU is not compatible with the MB. I am using a Antec 620w. Anyway I submitted my problem to ASRock, will let you know if I get an answer.
m
l
June 6, 2012 10:57:03 PM

I solved the issue. It looks like a grounding issue. The back of my motherboard was touching the case. I loosen some of the screws and it worked.
m
l
!