Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

No VGA input connector Acer Aspire

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 5, 2011 6:29:34 PM

Hello,

I recently bought an Acer Aspire m9510.
It has two DVI-D inputs, and one VGA input, but it appears the VGA input connector to the monitor is covered up by a "Don't Remove" pin.

If I remove it and plug in the VGA cable from the screen, the screen just says No Signal. How would I go about to fix this mess?

Thanks
February 5, 2011 6:32:42 PM

I should clarify that the VGA input that is covered up by the "Don't Remove"-pin/cap is on the computer, not on the monitor. I wrote it in somewhat of a haste. Sorry for double post.
a c 563 U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 7:02:31 PM

<Fn> + <F5> Display toggle - Switches display output between the display screen, external monitor (if connected) and both.
Related resources
February 5, 2011 7:23:57 PM

ko888 said:
<Fn> + <F5> Display toggle - Switches display output between the display screen, external monitor (if connected) and both.

I appriciate your answer, however, it is a desktop and not a laptop. It is using the GTX 460 card. Does the GTX 460 card even sport a VGA input? If not, could I use some sort of adapter to convert from VGA to DVI-D?
a c 563 U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 8:07:09 PM

The GeForce GTX 460 usually comes with Two Dual Link DVI and a Mini HDMI port on them.

To obtain a VGA signal from a DVI port you should be able to use a DVI-to-VGA adapter.
February 5, 2011 10:32:20 PM

ko888 said:
The GeForce GTX 460 usually comes with Two Dual Link DVI and a Mini HDMI port on them.

To obtain a VGA signal from a DVI port you should be able to use a DVI-to-VGA adapter.

Thank you! Any side-effects? Cons?
a b U Graphics card
February 5, 2011 10:58:16 PM

Does your monitor only support VGA? It's not unusual for connectors to have plastic caps on them during transport.

Did you add the GTX 460 yourself? I don't see it as an option on a M5910. You can only use the outputs on the GTX 460. You can't use the integrated outputs on the back panel.
a c 563 U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 2:27:43 AM

nosioplol said:
Thank you! Any side-effects? Cons?

The adapter is just a pass-through.

DVI-I outputs both analog and digital video signals concurrently.

The DVI-to-VGA adapter just passes the analog R, G, B and a horizontal sync and vertical sync signals from the DVI port of the graphics card to the VGA connector on the adapter. There is no signal conversion so there should be no noticeable image degradation.
a c 563 U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 2:30:47 AM

nosioplol said:
I should clarify that the VGA input that is covered up by the "Don't Remove"-pin/cap is on the computer, not on the monitor. I wrote it in somewhat of a haste. Sorry for double post.

That VGA port appears to be provided for use when you you have enabled the integrated graphics processor that is part of the motherboard's chipset.
!