Understanding AGP.PCI,PCIe

mitchell13

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
I have just started a computer networking class and i have always been interested in computers and instead of wondering if i could ever figure things out on my own i decided that would be impossible. so anyways i am in my A+ course now and i am a bit confused as to what AGP,PCI,and PCIe are.my thought process thinks of it like this, theses are buses which are communication paths and these particular items in question (AGP,PCI,PCIe) are pretty much like the slots that video,networking,sound, and other cards plug into and then those slots carry the data through or to the hub (northbridge,southbridge) chipsets and make it possible for the cards to communicate between the motherboard and the CPU. am i somewhat right or totally wrong???? please help me with a more simple explanation.

mitchell13

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012

THANK YOU FOR YOUR RESPONSE. I AM HOPEFULLY GETTING A GOOD GRASP ON THIS COMPUTER STUFF. I JUST STARTED IN A 2 YEAR COURSE FOR NET+,A+,SERVER,MCP,WINDOWS 7, WINDOWS XP, AND ONE MORE I CANT QUITE REMEMBER. BOY IT IS INFORMATION INTENSIVE FOR SURE. I LEAVE SCHOOL SOME NIGHTS WITH A SPLITTING HEADACHE AND I FEEL AS THOUGH IF I POUT ONE MORE THOUGHT IN MY HEAD IT WILL BURST. BUT LIKE I SAID THANK YOU FOR TAKING THE TIME TO ANSWER MY QUESTION, SOME FOLKS ARE JUST RUDE AND THROW SARCASM MY WAY BUT I DONT CARE BECAUSE WHEN ONE PERSON WILL COME ALONG LIKE YOUR SELF IT MAKES IT ALL WORTH IT.

ngoy

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2009
The reason people are being rude is that you are throwing all your questions into the forums instead of just googling or using wikipedia. This and the other post you had are just as simply answered by spending some time reading. I took my A+ in 1995. You had to know what the ground symbol was in schematics so you could fix laser printers. Referring to your future field as "this computer stuff" does not reflect well. I commend you on taking the time to actually learn about computers, but please spend the time to research before you ask questions. There are enough one liner questions from other countries that make no sense whatsoever, you are probably getting lumped in with those people. Please don't type in ALL CAPS, it is the internet equivalent of yelling.