$1500 Gaming Build

kicl

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
I am not new to computers but I am new to building my own pc. I am trying to build a pc for mainly gaming.

I have done some research and have concluded to this build: (changes may be made)

CPU: i5-2500k (may opt for the i7-2600k)
Board: ASrock FATALITY P67
Video card: GTX 570 (may swap choice for radeon 6950)
CPU cooling: Corsair H70
Power Supply: OCZ FATALITY series 750W
Memory: not exactly sure on what RAM yet but I've been looking at the corsair dominator or vengeance series
Storage: Western Digital Black 750gb
Boot Drive: not sure what SSD to get yet (help is much needed here)
Case: Corsair 650D

This build is semi-rough so changes will most likely be made. Any suggestions are welcome and very much appreciated.

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
For gaming the i5 is fine, if you the spare $100 and want the status symbol the get the i7 its not a wrong choice.
I am partial to nVidia because of their better driver support. so stay with the GTX 570

I'm a firm believer in quality PSU's and I am not a fan of OCZ PSU's I would suggest a Corsair HX 750 though a 650 would be fine if you are not going add a second GPU. Antec, Silverstone and Seasonic also are good solid choices for PSU's

For the SSD get one with a Sandforce controller. get at least 120GB because you will get spoiled by how fast they are and wand to put more and more on it.

Recommend:
Mushkin
Corsair Force series (34nm NAND)
G.Skill
Patriot inferno

stay away from OCZ Vertex 2's until they fix them.

The OCZ Vertex 3 just started appearing, if you have the $ you jump on the new tech wave.

Ram: i like the G.skill Ripjaw X series, I think the best value is the 1600Mhz CL8's. for gaming 4 GB is good. I run 8GB to help reduce swap file usage on my SSD (in theory anyway) .

Looks good, as far as the SSD, take a look at the Intel® SSD 320 80GB. You pick up the reliability and performance that is the hallmark of Intel SSDs. I have the older Intel SSD X25-M 80GB and I am getting boot times around 20 second from it.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team