Question about memory support

mitk0o0o0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
My friend has this old computer with a ECS EliteGroup motherboard, information about it here:
http://www.motherboard.cz/mb/ecs/651-mv10.htm

He is with a 256MB RAM and he would like to get another one since he has 1 more spot. His friend gave him some and it goes well into the nest thing but the computer beeps and only black screen shows up. So we thought it's either a compability problem or the RAM he gave him is damaged.

So now we're looking for to buy him a new one, but I'm not a hardware guy neither is he so we would like some assistance from the professionals here. :)

Now on the motherboard page there it says DDR 333. What exactly is that and what kind of RAM shoul we be looking for? I heard the 333 is like some Hz thing but on online shops I see there are DDRI, DDRII, etc..

Can someone here please tell me what we should look for? DDRI or DDRII or what? Thanks.

Coty0010

Honorable
Mar 18, 2012
First off, did you try swapping the RAM chips and see if it made a difference? Any dust in the slot? Did you try blowing it out like an NES cartridge? It's always worth a shot even if it don't work...

It's DDR 1, as it's just called ddr, like many games and movies, there is no number until the sequel.

DDR2 will be something like 500 - 800Mhz or something.

So here is what you want to do, search newegg, or whatever, for ddr memory, and make sure it runs at 333, as either a set speed, or if it has a list like this:

ect

then you know it will run good with the 333. I actually took the liberty of searching newegg, and saw that they're options for 256MB of RAM is VERY slim. I only found one that was compatible:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820146214

The reviews don't seem to bad, but I don't know anything about the people who manufacturer it, so I can't tell you from my experience how reliable it is, so I can't guarantee it to be perfect. Feel free to search other places on your own. :hello:

mitk0o0o0

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2012
Thank you for taking the time to explain and show me all of this. :)

We will see what we can do, thanks.