Tags:
  • Tyan
  • Windows 7
  • Thunder
  • Motherboards
Last response: in Motherboards
March 19, 2012 12:28:18 PM

Hi,
I'm upgrading from XP 64 to windows 7 on my Tyan Thunder K8W S2885.
I've found the silicon image sata drivers that windows 7 install seems to like, however on the first reboot during install procedure the system blue screens after the new windows 7 logo comes up.
(microsoft upgrade advisor said the hardware was compatible with the upgrade )

Has anybody had similar experience or solved this problem ? There seems to be no info on bios upgrade on the tyan website - I presume because the board is no longer supported.

thanks for any pointers,
regards
Richard.

More about : install windows thunder k8w s2885

a b $ Windows 7
a c 329 V Motherboard
March 19, 2012 1:42:00 PM

Well Richard, it could be a lots of things.

Post your system specs, like RAM details, PSU .....
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 329 V Motherboard
March 19, 2012 1:42:28 PM

Are u upgrading or doing clean install?
m
l
Related resources
March 19, 2012 9:23:12 PM

I'm upgrading.
Specs :
tyan k8w S2885
2 x dual core amd 280 cpu
radeon 9200 se graphics card
3 gb ram
akasa 850 power max psu
couple of cheap dvd drives and floppy
maxtor 6 B300S0 sata 120 gb

I've backed up everything so could do a clean install.
One other thing is i'm running the machine as dual boot to linux. The windows 7 install seems to have inserted it's own boot loader but kindly allows me to select 'previous version of windows' which then seems to allow me to choose from my old boot menu - ie linux or xp64.

I'm not sure if the dual boot thing is an issue because I did get the windows 7 logo so it looks like it was trying to boot up from a windows 7 image.

hope that's enough ?

cheers
Richard.
m
l
March 19, 2012 10:03:02 PM

nikorr said:
Are u upgrading or doing clean install?

Looking at the tyan site I might conclude that upgrading to win7 is a bit optimistic. I have the v2.07 bios which is the latest for the S2885 Tyan Thunder K8W - it only claims to support up to windows server 2003.
The harddrive is somewhat antiquated too - maxtor drive detect software doesnt recognize serial no. so I can not tell if I might need a firmware upgrade but somehow doubt it.

I would be delighted to try a clean install but getting the (apparently common) media problem when copying install files from dvd.

Richard.
m
l
March 21, 2012 9:26:24 PM

ok i've got the answer
the problem is not the motherboard it' the graphics card. the radeon 9200 is not supported after xp.
i'll either get a cheap new card or perhaps do some real retail therapy and get a newbox ... naah....

m
l
!