Future (Winter 2011) Build Question!!!

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
I really need some thought! My 16 year old brain can't take it anymore...

Okay! My current system is just something i really have been putting up with ALOT, check it out under member config... (I've basically rebuilt this thing around the CPU and Mobo)

I'm becoming impatient but what i've been reading about is PCI-E 3.0 and LGA 2011 or 1356 idk whatever that new socket will be to replace 1366. I've been wondering, would it be worth waiting for these two to come into existence then build a successor to this current one i have? Or should i just build one now?

NOW:
i7-2600K(better than i7-950 right?)
GTX 570 or 560
1333MHz(maybe 1600) RAM 2GBx3(maybe 4GBx3)
some 1366 or 1155 mobo(according to processor above whatevers better)

FUTURE:
i7-1366 Successor(lol?)
GTX 6XX or maybe 7XX
1600MHz or 1866MHz 4GBx3
some 1366 Successor mobo that has maybe 3x (4x i really want like the Gigabyte UD9)

What do you guys think? I want those new technologies and if i REALLY have to i'll wait another 6-8ish months.. with my 2003-04ish system.. somethin' like that..

So what do you guys think, help me out..

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010
$ for $ the i7-2600k beats all as a performance value.
if you go i7-2600k get 1600Mhz ram

If you got to have it now go with LGA 1155 Sandy Bridge (SB). If you have time and lots of $ to wait, go for the new tech.

If you are a gamer, and just using one or 2 GPU's then SB now is the right ticket.

The new stuff will be for HIGH End guys who have lots of $.

Quad and Triple channel memory, 24 PCIe lanes all sound great, but a First Person Shooter at 180FPS looks the same at 60FPS to the human eye!

^+1

If you can't afford the upgrade now, the 2011 socket CPUs are scheduled to come out in the summer, so by winter their sales should be in full swing. The prices will probably be about the same as the i7-900s when they were first released (~$300 for the CPU, ~$250 for mobo) if Intel prices them as aggressively as they did the new i5 (came in at same price as previous gen i5s).

For gaming, the i5-2500K is all you need. Anything beyond that is wasted money, because you'll never use more than ~50% of the computer at most.

I'd spend your money more on better GPUs, bigger monitors (or more than one), and a big/fast SSD for the OS and game storage.

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Okay, awesome sounds good. You guys got my hopes up!

One thing though, i heard LGA 2011 is going to be stock default at 6 cores. While the current processor have 4.

Maybe in the future Intel will release a new upgrade available to LGA 1155 users that will enable them to buy up a 6 core processor?

I really feel like i should wait only because theres some crazy stuff going to happen during winter(what i think).. PCI-E 3.0, Quad channel offers from the 1366 successor and the six cores.. mouth watering..

Please reassure me!

To many variables to come in play. Many people doubt it, but I believe AMD will catch up to Intel with the new BD release. Also Nvidia has been straight beat up these past generations my AMD on the GPU front. It wouldn't be suprising to see AMD's 28nm GPUs kill Nvidia. Especially since AMD plans for Q4 2011 release of 28nm GPUs while Nvidia a Q1/Q2 2012 release of 28nm.

You also clearly have to much money on your hands if you have a 2600K and still want to upgrade. Your GPU will last 2 years at least. Save your money on a car. Wtf are you wanting to get a 28nm GPU and a 6 core CPU for.

Timop

Distinguished
No interesting CPU should be coming out from the Intel in terms of gaming this year. SB-E is essentially a server transplant CPU that wont benefit gaming much if at all, six core is complete overkill. in fact even a 2600K ATM. SB-E's key markets position is pretty much for semi-professionals that doesn't want to go Xeon yet; OEM's bragging rights; people with money to burn; and Intel's coveted spot as top dog. Kinda like the 990X now.

But since you asked, PCIe 3.0 is completely useless in the near future for GPUs, even a 590 doesn't use up a 2.0 X16 slot, so unless you have the money to go dual 590s + LGA2011 then don't worry (though even then the performance difference would be under 5%).

Quad channel is even more useless, given how much (or little) difference 1366's Tri-channel RAM made in games, get your self a nice low CAS dual-channel set and be happy.

On the GPU side, don't expect anything new until 2012 (Or very very late 2011 if all thing goes well) either. With both companies stuck at standstill due to 28nm, Its all up to TSMC now. IIRC, the designs for HD7000 is essentially ready with GTX600 not far behind, but you're not going to see them on the market until TSMC gets 28nm up and running (which is late Q4 at the earliest).

The only thing kinda worth waiting for in 2011 is actually Bulldozer from AMD, but it seems like you're uninterested.

So in conclusion, if you're interested in buying a gaming setup this year the 2500K + 560/570 is probably your best bet. The only thing missing are Z68 Mobos, and that is only if you're interested in using Quicksync.

hyrule571

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2010
Yeah its true, around an 8% average bottleneck was on a GTX 570 PCI-E 4x in one of the reviews i read last night, surprised me greatly. Yet im a perfectionist, i like to squeeze every drip drop of performance i can get thats fit for next gen gaming (Unreal Engine 4 and all that other good stuff) so i want to keep up with the next gen software.

Yeah, im honestly not interested in AMD graphics or processors for some reason, i've had negative experience with them. Okay, so lastly, you guys are saying i should side with what i've typed in my first post to begin the thread(NOW), right? N you guys are saying i could buy whats available now and still be good to go for a long time, but if i really want to be a crazy enthusiast and wait for 6 core processors+quadchannelRAM+PCI-E3(hopefully)+GTX 6XX i could do that too and suffer with this old system? Thanks guys alot for the help, i'm thinking about buying this stuff(or my dad will).

jerreddredd

Distinguished
Mar 22, 2010

Thats about right.