1st Build: AMD X6 processors vs. i5's for value/performance

clairmel1

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Approximate Purchase Date: Approx. May – June 2011

Budget Range: $500 – 1000 Before / After Rebates ( Lower the total the better )

System Usage from Most to Least Important: I would like a general setup to do HD video editing ( Cyberlink Power Director ), light gaming ( CoD, Diablo III, etc.. ) and Photoshop CS5. Maybe add a capture card.

Parts Not Required: Keyboard, mouse, speakers, monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, other recommendations

Country of Origin: U.S.

Parts Preferences: I was thinking this processor: AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban 3.3GHz; With this mobo: ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 ( for future upgrade to SLI or Xfire ). Or this mobo: ASUS M4A87TD/USB3 AMD Motherboard

Overclocking: Maybe – nothing serious

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe

Monitor Resolution: No Monitor

Additional Comments:

I would like to get to work on building my first rig. I was researching the i5 processors and stumbled upon the AMD 6 core processors. The i5’s range from $184 – 309 and the AMD X6 processors range from $179 – 229. The i5’s are all dual and quad core. ( Newegg )

Will the AMD Phenom II X6 1100T Black Edition Thuban be a better choice performance and value wise over any of the Intel i5 offerings?

I would like a general setup to do HD video editing ( Cyberlink Power Director ), light gaming ( CoD, Diablo III, etc.. ) and Photoshop CS5. Maybe add a capture card.

Also I was wondering if anyone knows of any new AMD processors being released that I may want to wait and see if there will be any price drops.

Would this processor/mobo combo be a hookup to build on?

Please help me smooth out the rougher edges and thanks for you help in advance.

Newegg has the ASUS M4A89GTD PRO/USB3 for $149.00 and the Phenom II X6 1100T for $229.00

Could you recommend: Memory and best configurations, a decent HD to hold OS and a few games ( photos and video will be stored on another drive. )

A case that doesn’t have to be fancy but I would like to have some front-side ports.

Power Supply.

A decent graphics card that won’t become a bottleneck in the system. Something to last me for a year until I decide to upgrade to a dual card config.

And anything else I may have forgotten. Is this a possibility for my price range? I am new to posting so feel free to school me in case I overlooked something. Thank you all so very much.

unknown_13

Distinguished
May 12, 2009
The Core i5 2500K beats any PII X4 or X6 CPU, due to the better architecture, bigger efficiency and 32nm process. And the 2500K is the same price as the X6 1100T you have listed (it's even 5$ cheaper :D)

Get the Core i5 2500K and the Gigabyte GA-P67A-UD4-B3 mobo, and this combo will serve you excellent for several years.

And the other parts:

RAM: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
GPU: ASUS EAH6850 (you can add second later on, these are best bang for the buck in Crossfire)
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W (you'll need it in future if you're going to have 2 GPU's)
Case: CM 690 II Advanced

As for the HDD, here is the Samsung Spinoint F3 1TB as for now, it will serve you well, and if you have the money later on get the Crucial C300 64GB SSD as primary HDD, 64GB is enough for the OS and 8-10 programs. (or an OCZ Vertex 3 SSD)

Mishkin1

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
I agree that the 2500K is a beast of a processor, and whoops Phenom 2 butt.

However, the one thing that unknown_13 failed to mention is the cost of the motherboard ($190) that he listed. You could pair an 1100T with a motherboard that is $100 or less, with great features and good quality, while an "equivalent" Intel board will likely cost considerably more.

clairmel1

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2011
Ok, I have a total reconfiguration. I got a little ahead of myself. I’m going to save the dual card, OC setup for a future personal build. This system will be more of a family-oriented system.
Unknown_13, thanks for the advice. I researched the i5 and it really seems a better chip for the money. That being said I reconfigured my build around the i5-2500.
I’m not going to worry about OC, or high end graphics setup.
Any suggestions for a power supply that doesn’t have to be SLI ready, etc…
And a graphics card that doesn’t have to be SLI ready. Just something that will support a 1920x1080 monitor.

MOBO: Gigabyte GA-57 UD4 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6813128478
RAM: 8 gigs Corsair Vengeance - http://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod [...] 6820145345 --slightly lower voltage than: Kingston HyperX 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3
GPU: ?
PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650 V2 650W -- Is there one less expensive that will suit my needs?
Case: CM 690 II Advanced -- If possible I would like to spend a little less for a case. Something with lots of room for a noob to work with.