USB ports do not work after replacing power suppy.

FamousRon

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Power supply went bad after 5 years.. I replaced it with a Cool Master 550 Watt. System booted up OK, but none of the USB ports work. The 4 rear USB ports are directly connected to the Intel motherboard. The front usb ports are cabled to a different area on the motherboard. After reading a few posts with the same issue, I'm thinking that the power supply connectors may be wired a bit differently, resulting in lack of power to the USB network. Keep in mind, Win XP boots fine...Win 7 on a separate HD boots fine. No way to control either one without a mouse or keyboard.

Solution
I have had issues where onboard network ports stop working for whatever reason. They seem to lose their drivers, but installing the drivers never works. What did work, was putting a new network card into the computer and then magically the onboard network port started working again. Sounds like a similar issue here.

jasonpf1123

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2009

might be a stupid answer here but isn't all the usb and everything just powered by the main 24 pin plug? dont know thought i'd ask

FamousRon

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011
Jason;
You are correct... I purchased a Dynex 4 port usb hub ($45) that plugs into the PCI Express slot.
All USB cables worked fine when plugged into this new port. I was a happy boy.
After I was comfortable recovering my keyboard and mouse, I thought it was time to experiment.....
Step 1. Blew the dust off the prosessor cooler... HUGE difference in fan speeds....
Step 2. Measured the voltage on the 24 pin connector... the + 5voltes for USB was good.
Step 3. Fixed a Burbon and Coke.... Turned the machine off and back on...

All usb ports are now working. New ones in the PCI card AND the old ones on the Mother Board.

After toughtful analysis, I have determined that the solution was Burbon.

Now I understand why the Intel Engineers get excited when they work with 22NM chipsets.
However, ASML is now producing lithography machines that will make Sandy Bridge and Ivy Bridge look like oversized toys. Its the Burbon!

themarin8r

Distinguished
Mar 16, 2011
I have had issues where onboard network ports stop working for whatever reason. They seem to lose their drivers, but installing the drivers never works. What did work, was putting a new network card into the computer and then magically the onboard network port started working again. Sounds like a similar issue here.

Solution

FamousRon

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2011

themarin8r

That is EXACTLY what happened !
I looked in the Intel Motherboard box and found an extra usb card/cable that plugs into one of two usb connectors on the motherboard...

I returned the network card to Best Buy and pluged in this two port connector that is now accessable at the rear of the housing. EVERYTHING works.... I have more usb ports than I can use.... WHY did all of the onboard usb ports "magically" start working?

Intel.... it's time for you to jump in....

bevhoward

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
>> Cool Master 550 <<

That triggered a loud AH-HA!

I think there may be another factor at play here...

I have been unable to set one computer which has one of these power supplies to come out of suspend with usb keyboard, mouse, etc even though the bios settings are correct for this.

This thread brings up the possibility that the connector differences may power down the usb ports when the computer is put into suspend mode... for example, the network port remains alive and WOL works when the computer is in suspend mode where none of the usb devices get power when in suspend.

Related to this is the grey out of "allow this device to bring computer out of suspend mode" in the power settings of the usb root hub devices in device manager.

For this specific computer, it would _really_ be nice to use the keyboard to bring the computer out of suspend since the cpu is behind a wall where the keyboard is located which requires going into a closet to tap the power button.

Any thoughts appreciated,
Beverly Howard