GTX 570 not performing well?

Status
Not open for further replies.

warakomd

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Hello,

Just got an EVGA GTX 570 (upgraded from gts 250). Since i put it in i had a gut feeling that i wasn't receiving all that it could be giving me. I compared fps benchmarks to those of other gtx 570s and mine are way below what it should be. For example a friend with a gtx 570 gets about 120+ frames in CoD: black ops and i get anywhere from 60-90. In a new MMO Rift i've talked to several people whom all have a gtx 570 and were able to run at max settings with 50+ frames and i get a measly ~25.

Could any of the components in my PC be holding the gtx 570 back? I called my maker (EVGA) and talked to a technical rep. and he said he believes something in my pc is holding it back. He primarily told me the motherboard and possibly the CPU. Could it be a faulty card or not good enough mobo, memory, cpu etc.

mobo - Asus m3n78-pro
cpu - phenom II x4 940 B.E. @ 3.6ghz
8 gigs OCZ platinum series @ 412mhz 5:5:5:18
evga GTX 570 @ 870,1740,2200
1000w psu
1920x1080 res.

Solution
you probably don't need the hyperthreading that the 2600k provides.

if you mostly play games, the 2500k will be great.

That's what I have, and I <3 it :) Also, I have a gtx 570, and I get 130+ on COD:bo also.

But if you aren't ready to make that kind of investment, try upgrading your RAM first. Sign up to receive Neweggs promotional deals, they have 8gb of GSkill RAM every week for something in the neighborhood of 90$.

EDIT: Btw, I had a phenom II x4: 955 that I used before my Sandybridge build, and I had almost the same specs as you except faster RAM and I got ~ 110fps if I recall correctly.

warakomd

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
Yes i uninstalled the drivers. Tried that a few times.

What is avp going to do for me?

Also, i wasn't under the impression for a second it could actually be my CPU... is the x4 940 really that bad?

The Phenom II 940

That and the combination of the slower hypertransport bus on the older MOBO and DDR2 800 RAM all combining to slow overall performance of the GPU -- try turning up the AA AF etc. and see if the FPS stays the same -- If so then the video card still has power but the rest of the components are holding it back !

warakomd

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010

I have definitely noticed with some settings that the frames remain constant even after lowering / raising settings. Is there no chance that it could be a faulty card?

IF i was to get a different cpu and mobo, what would you advise?

IF you are changing the settings higher\lower and the FPS is remaining the same then that is a sign that the GPU is bottlenecked by some other components in the system (since the higher settings normally would cause a drop in FPS if the card was performing at peak capacity but since something else is slowing the system down the higher settings affecting the video card go unnoticed since it is already sitting idle part of the time waiting on the system and the added settings just take up some of that idle time and do not effect performance of the card.)

warakomd

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010
A X4 Phenom II is slower clock for clock then a Q9550 and that processor is 3 generations back

So you think its my cpu ? I've been getting that alot, even over at the EVGA forum.

As an owner of an i7 sandybridge, what would you propose i do for a mobo/cpu combo.

Lets say an i7 sandybridge with what mobo?( ~300$ )

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010
you probably don't need the hyperthreading that the 2600k provides.

if you mostly play games, the 2500k will be great.

That's what I have, and I <3 it :) Also, I have a gtx 570, and I get 130+ on COD:bo also.

But if you aren't ready to make that kind of investment, try upgrading your RAM first. Sign up to receive Neweggs promotional deals, they have 8gb of GSkill RAM every week for something in the neighborhood of 90$.

EDIT: Btw, I had a phenom II x4: 955 that I used before my Sandybridge build, and I had almost the same specs as you except faster RAM and I got ~ 110fps if I recall correctly.

Solution

warakomd

Distinguished
Dec 18, 2010

Thank you so much for the feedback man, its a great help coming from somone that was in the same boat as me.

I'm definitely ready to make that investment because regardless if i wanted to only get memory or not, my mobo cant support memory over 1066 anyway so i'm better off getting the i5 2500k and a brand spankin new mobo.

I'd like to get THE BEST mobo i can for the 2500k, what do you recommend?

that is correct and it effects all of the MOBOs so if you do get one now you'll need to send it back for replacement after they start shipping fixed MOBOs. (some sites have completely stopped selling the MOBOs until they get new stock )

willmalcom

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2010

Well it depends on what your budget is. Let us know ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.