Sign in with
Your question

Is overclocking the RAM really going to do anything?

Last response: in Memory
March 19, 2012 4:47:04 PM

My system config is in my sig. From what I can tell theres a lot of debate on this topic, but I can't seem to find a whole lot in terms of benchmarks. I'm still a newbie with overclocking.

I have 2 Corsair Vengeance DDR3 8GB modules. They are rated for 1600mhz, 1.5v.

My Mobo downclocks them by default to 1333mhz . With my overclock at the FSB, they're still underclocked compared to what they're rated for.

My CPU-Z info-

Core speed-3901mhz
Multiplier- 18
Bus- 216mhz

Memory Clocked at 722mhz x 2= 1444mhz

The mobo manual states that the RAM can be overclocked to 2133mhz with their board. Is it really worth it? Hard numbers would be appreciated, but I'm not adverse to educated guesses either.

More about : overclocking ram

a c 347 } Memory
a b K Overclocking
March 19, 2012 5:07:18 PM

OC'ing the RAM depends on the CPU and platform. On an AMD yeah it helps, but with the 8GB per stick density IMO leave it at DDR3-1333. 8GB density is much harder on the AMD pre-FX CPUs and for the silight increase in e.g. Rendering it's not the same as a 4x4GB kit to OC.

Q - Which kit? CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 or CMX16GX3M2A1600C11
Q - CPU-z, what CAS is it by default running (Memory tab), and better yet, post the 'SPD' tab so I can see better options (DDR3-1333 i.e. lower CAS or DDR3-1600.

Keep in mind, typically non-ASUS MOBO's leave you with one of two choices: FSB to 240MHz or CPU-NB Frequency to 2400MHz. In your case, try AI Overclock Tuner -> DOCP and then DRAM OC Profile -> DDR3-1600. Next run Memtest for a minimum of 4-passes if not overnight; no errors leave it vs errors set it back.
March 19, 2012 9:09:25 PM

jaquith said:
OC'ing the RAM depends on the CPU and platform. On an AMD yeah it helps, but with the 8GB per stick density IMO leave it at DDR3-1333. 8GB density is much harder on the AMD pre-FX CPUs and for the silight increase in e.g. Rendering it's not the same as a 4x4GB kit to OC.

Q - Which kit? CMZ16GX3M2A1600C10 or CMX16GX3M2A1600C11
Q - CPU-z, what CAS is it by default running (Memory tab), and better yet, post the 'SPD' tab so I can see better options (DDR3-1333 i.e. lower CAS or DDR3-1600.

Keep in mind, typically non-ASUS MOBO's leave you with one of two choices: FSB to 240MHz or CPU-NB Frequency to 2400MHz. In your case, try AI Overclock Tuner -> DOCP and then DRAM OC Profile -> DDR3-1600. Next run Memtest for a minimum of 4-passes if not overnight; no errors leave it vs errors set it back.

CPU-Z shows the part numbers for the RAM modules I have. I didn't buy them in a kit, I bought them as single units, it was actually not easy to find these in stock.. At least at merchants I preferred.

Here are the screenshots you requested, mind you, as I'm still a student, I don't entirely understand what all of these things mean. Although, I would appreciate any insight offered.

You say its harder on my CPU, thats something I'd want to take into consideration. I've had this build a little over a month now, while I'd really like to see what AMD can do with their FX processors on their next stepping before I commit to it, who knows if they will drastically improve the Bulldozers at all. I'm very happy with this processor, so while I'd like to play around with overclocking for educational purposes, I don't want to cook it.

Related resources
a c 347 } Memory
a b K Overclocking
March 19, 2012 10:31:54 PM

The true speed of RAM is a function of Frequency, CAS Timings, and CPU. Going from 1445.4MHz CAS 9 to 1600MHz CAS 10 will only yield a tiny more out of the overall performance. As I first posted, use the DOCP setting and you might need to CPU-NB Voltage increase of +0.10v (1.20v).

Run Memtest IMO overnight, no errors keep the settings.

CAS to Frequency Chart:

Let me know how it turns out, I'd be interested in knowing how 8GB density + OC on a Phenom holds out with DOCP. It 'should be' okay.
March 19, 2012 10:49:11 PM

jaquith said:
The true speed of RAM is a function of Frequency, CAS Timings, and CPU. Going from 1445.4MHz CAS 9 to 1600MHz CAS 10 will only yield a tiny more out of the overall performance. As I first posted, use the DOCP setting and you might need to CPU-NB Voltage increase of +0.10v (1.20v).

Run Memtest IMO overnight, no errors keep the settings.

CAS to Frequency Chart:
http://i1013.photobucket.com/albums/af254/Jaquith/CAS_Frequncy_Chart.png

Let me know how it turns out, I'd be interested in knowing how 8GB density + OC on a Phenom holds out with DOCP. It 'should be' okay.

Will do, I probably won't fool with it til next weekend. Just in case something goes horribly wrong, my 2 laptops are heaps of crap, and I'd rather not have to use them to do homework if I can help it.
!