295 vs 580 - dx11??

Status
Not open for further replies.

hatebreeder

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
I currently have a gtx 295. first question, does this support dx 11? i read many threads in the interwebs saying yes, however i look on nvidias site and it says dx10.

http://www.nvidia.com/object/product_geforce_gtx_295_us.html

battlefield 3 is going to support direct x 11 and i want to ensure i am running bf3 maxed out so....

1.) gtx supports 295 yes or no?

2.) is it worth the cost to bump up to a 580? am i gonna notice any performance increase?

i am running an i7 940
6 gb of ram
1kw corsair power supply
2 veloci-raptors in raid 0

Solution
1) It does not support DX11. It is indeed DX10 only, but many people do not find that there is a big difference in visual quality.

2) If you already have the 295 and are getting good frame rates, I'd hold onto it for now, unless you have specific games that you want to see DX11 features on. Then it becomes a question of how much are those visuals worth to you.

If it were me and I already had a 295, as long as I was happy with the noise levels, visuals and FPS, I'd try to resist the urge to spend money for a new card.
1) It does not support DX11. It is indeed DX10 only, but many people do not find that there is a big difference in visual quality.

2) If you already have the 295 and are getting good frame rates, I'd hold onto it for now, unless you have specific games that you want to see DX11 features on. Then it becomes a question of how much are those visuals worth to you.

If it were me and I already had a 295, as long as I was happy with the noise levels, visuals and FPS, I'd try to resist the urge to spend money for a new card.

Solution

hatebreeder

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
battlefield 3 is going to be running dx 11 on frostbite 2.0 so i guess i will be upgrading before bf3 comes out ( fall of 2011 ). Is there anything i should know about going from 295 to 580?

The 580 is a single GPU card, where as the 295 is a dual GPU card, that means that the 580 would handle games a lot better when they don't like SLI much. The 580 is also going to be a quieter card.

But if those aren't a problem now, then it's not worth upgrading.

i bet the game will also support dx9 and dx10 much like BFBC2. so you don't have too worry much about dx11. one thing for sure though it will surely eat your performance when enabling the graphic enhancement in dx11. honestly i myself can't see much difference between dx9, 10 or 11 when playing games such as metro. so far i can only tell the difference between dx10 and dx11 in unigine heaven tech demo :p .

Bigmac80

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2011

Honestly i think there will be something better by the time BF3 comes out. So if i were you i'd hold on the GTX 295 until something better then the GTX 580. Also GTX 590 duel gpu card is coming out in a month so if your interested in a new card go with the 590 or just wait. I got the GTX 580 and i also have the 295 but honestly it wasn't worth $500 to upgrade. I can't wait till BF3 i usually play BC2...

hatebreeder

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011

it will support dx 10 not 11. and with the new frostbite 2.0 engine i want to make sure that i am seeing all of the effects and everything. someone said the dual gpu 590 comes out in a month. i guess ill wait and check that out, thanks for all the answers.

what do mean by 'it will not support dx10 not dx11? did you refer to your card? btw regarding dual GPU i read some site saying that AMD will release their 6990 'Antilles' right after CNY. some people expect that nvidia should release their own dual GPU beast around the same time as AMD to regain the fastest GPU on the planet crown back from AMD.

hatebreeder

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2011
followup question:

i have a ASUS P6T Deluxe V2 LGA 1366 Intel X58 ATX Intel Motherboard with 6 gb of corsair dominator ram in it. ram is dirt cheap right now and i can get another perfectly matched set of 6gb of ram for $120 to give me a total of 12gb of ram. is it worth it? i am running windows 7 64bit. i mostly play online video games, some photoshop work too. should i pull the trigger and go up to 12gb?

There was an article done a short while ago on THG and it seemed that 8gb was the sweet spot. I've also heard that Photoshop really likes ram. It might be worth it. I personally don't have a lot of issue, but I do seem to have to turn off Aero often when gaming.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
Note that if you buy an EXTRA trio of 2GB sticks, you will lose triple channel performance.

What you are best off doing is selling your existing 3 x 2GB set, and buying a 3 x 4GB set, putting you up to 12GB while retaining triple channel mode.

First off, and I confirmed this with my MB manual, sets of 3 or 6 modules operate in triple channel mode. Buying 3 additional sticks of 2GB ram will still run in triple channel mode.

2nd, memory speed, and triple channel memory vs dual channel memory makes almost no difference in most real world programs.

Status
Not open for further replies.