Dead mobo?

Excentrikz

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
This weekend I had a small wooden tube that was holding up the window curtain fall and it smacked into my case. It didn't hit too hard and it's not very heavy and caused no damage to the outside of the case (HAF 932) at all.

This happened as I was walking out of my room. I came back 1-2 minutes later and my computer was frozen. I held the power button on my case to shut it off and turn it on. Upon powering it back on it sounded weird as if the fans and stuff werent spinning at their proper speed. The computer ended up shutting off about 5-10 seconds after powering on. After various attempts at this I shut off the power supply and turned it back on and then went to power on my computer but now it wouldn't turn on at all.

I did the little paper clip test to see if the power supply had possibly died but it ended up powering on the fan I had plugged into it. I heard this test isn't a sure fire thing since its not a decent load so I went to best buy and bought a power supply and plugged it into the mobo 24 pin and it wouldnt power on. I even tried the paper clip test with the new supply and it powered the fan fine.

Ive done some googling of my issue and many have said its either PSU, MOBO, or CPU

I feel like its not a PSU problem but all I did has plug in the 24 pin with The new power supply. Should I have plugged everything to see if it works?

I feel like maybe my MOBO died making contact somehow with the case from the hit.

My MOBO is an x58a-ud3r rev 2.0 board from gigabyte

I honestly don't feel like this is a CPU problem since the computer should still power on if it's dead

**i know this is long but any help is appreciated. I've done my share of googling and am at a loss. My next step is to order another ud3r and see if the new one works***

Any suggestions??

Excentrikz

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
I don't know what you mean by checking the 12V so if you dont mind explaining a bit.

I've reset the CMOS by taking out the MOBO battery and putting it back in but that doesn't seem to have mad a difference.

I can't enter the bios since my computer won't even turn on.

liviu81x

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2009
Maybe the power button came off from the shake ? Can you check it ? Maybe something shook inside and it's not in the right place.

When you swapped in the new PSU, did you connect the 8 pin connector near the CPU ?

Did you inspect every capacitor to see if any of them etched ?

When you took off the MoBo battery, how long did you wait before reseating it ? You should wait about 30 seconds to make sure the CMOS is reset properly. I checked with an image of the mobo and observed a strange button at the I/O back panel that says clr CMOS. Did you press that for a few seconds ?

Good luck with the MoBo, seems like a nice board, should be solid enough to handle a shake or to, but a smack like that, takes good luck.