Sign in with
Your question

Cheap Media/Gaming Build

Last response: in Systems
April 11, 2011 10:49:31 AM

Hi all, just ordered my new build from newegg(replacing a skt 939 3500+ system). I was originally planning on an Asus Evo mobo (the current $105 one), due to its features and quality. And then sticking an x6 cpu in there once Bulldozer came out and prices fell. Actually, the whole build has been a long ordeal of research.

However, I decided last minute to go with a cheaper Biostar board, to tide me over until Bulldozer, then likely going with a Bulldozer mobo + cpu a little while after release. Or I could go Intel too. I chose my parts mainly off of price and to tide me over, but wanted some solid stuff that I will keep around after my mobo+cpu upgrade later on as well. I'm happy with what I got for $414 shipped, after the instant rebates, combo discount (mobo + cpu), and one promo discount:

PSU - Antec Earthwatts 650W
Mobo - Biostar TA880GB+
CPU - AMD Athlon 2 645
Memory - G.Skill 1 x 4GB - 12800 CL9 (Ripjaws)
HDD - 320GB Samsung Spinpoint
Case - Antec 300 Illusion
Optical - Asus Dvd Burner black

A few days from now I'll be ordering Windows 7 Home OEM, an Asus 21.5" 1080p (1920x1080) led-backlit monitor (the $160 one), and a GTX 460 1GB vid card (I'm a fan of Nvidia and single card setups). Down the road I'll be adding a 1TB Samsung Spinpoint HDD for storage, another 4GB stick of the same memory, and a blu-ray reader. The 320GB HDD will become my OS and programs drive then.

So what do you think? Do my plans (not to mention my already purchased items) look alright to you? I'm assuming everything other than my mobo + cpu will work fine with whatever I get once Bulldozer comes out. One of the reasons I went with 1600Mhz memory was because it should be compatible with Bulldozer, and obviously is with Sandy Bridge already. Due to my plans to always run single-card gpu setups, the 650W Antec Earthwatts psu should last quite awhile as well. The only iffy component in my mind is the Biostar mobo, but I figure as long as it works fine, I'm good. The features and performance aren't a big priority there, and the combo deal with the cpu was very cheap.
April 11, 2011 1:26:36 PM

I don't really think there was any reason to hold back on Intel's new i5s. They're absolutely phenomenal for just about everything, and I doubt Bulldozer will come close to them. Plus, Intel will be releasing new chips on the same socket (from what I've heard) about the same time Bulldozer will first be coming out.

That said, I have absolutely no idea what you're doing with your computer; gaming, work, basic internet/word processing? That really determines what you need and how much you spend on your computer.

The power supply will hold up for a while; I had mine running 2x470s and my i7-930 for about a year, but I upgraded recently.
m
l
April 12, 2011 5:01:49 AM

boiler1990 said:
I don't really think there was any reason to hold back on Intel's new i5s. They're absolutely phenomenal for just about everything, and I doubt Bulldozer will come close to them. Plus, Intel will be releasing new chips on the same socket (from what I've heard) about the same time Bulldozer will first be coming out.

That said, I have absolutely no idea what you're doing with your computer; gaming, work, basic internet/word processing? That really determines what you need and how much you spend on your computer.

The power supply will hold up for a while; I had mine running 2x470s and my i7-930 for about a year, but I upgraded recently.

I didn't go i5 due to budget, and the related reasons I detailed in my post.

If Intel releases new chips that use the same socket, that would be very nice for a lot of people. Very cool.

Happy to hear the psu did well for you. Thanks.
m
l
!