Win7 x64 won't Boot when 'Memory Remap' is Enabled to use all 4GB RAM

dratninny

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Hi there!

Not long ago I installed 2 extra GBs of RAM to bring my total to 4GB. After a successful boot and then checking my 'System' info Windows states 4.00GB of memory is installed but only 2.94GB is usable.

Task Manager shows 'Physical Memory (Mb)' Total 3007. When I restart the computer, hitting DEL during the Asus load up screen, it goes to an American MegaTrends screen and reels off loads of info, part of which says 3007MB OK. In the BIOS under 'System Information' 3008MB of Memory is shown.

THEREFORE I went ahead into my BIOS to enable the 'Memory Remap Feature'.

However on reboot the PC gets to the 'Starting Windows' screen and doesn't get any further! The Windows logo doesn't start to appear. It just restarts going through all the usual screens again. Hit DEL, American Mega Trends screen reeling off info shows 4096MB OK and under the 'System Information' in the BIOS now shows Memory 4096MB. Reboot with same problem again and eventually giving two options of:-

Launch Startup Repair

or

Start Windows Normally.

The repair never works and Windows will never start normally again until I return to the BIOS to disable the mem remap.

Sometimes I have had a Blue Screen displaying the same 'IRQ_NOT_LESS' and or 'BAD_POOL_HEADER' errors.

I have reset the CMOS to Factory Default settings and tried again but did nothing.

I then flashed my BIOS using my USB Stick, successfully updating to the latest 1238 version as per the link following link.

http://uk.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_775/P5B_DeluxeWiFiAP/#download

So then went to enable the 'Memory Remap Utility' and the same problem again! All EXACTLY as before! I can't see what else is wrong! It's driving me crazy.

I've read maybe i need to increase voltages, maybe MoBo will still be funny using all 4 DIMMS and maybe I should just buy 2 x 2GB sticks of RAM instead. Annoying though as will cost me more when this should just work!

CAN ANYONE HELP?

Thanks

Lee

My relevant hardware spec is as follows:-

Asus P5B Deluxe MoBo
Intel Dual Core E6600 @ 2.40GHz
GeForce 7900 GS 512Mb
2 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz Corsair Value RAM (original) in Yellow Slots A1 & B1

2 x 1GB DDR2 800MHz Corsair Gaming RAM (NEW) in Black Slots A2 & B2

dratninny

Honorable
Mar 19, 2012
Oh yeah forgot to mention that I've run the Windows Memory Diagnostics tool twice and both times reported no errors.