Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Crossfire 5770 at 16x4x

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 6, 2011 2:12:28 AM

Hey guys,
I currently have this motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
And it only supports 16x4x crossfire.
How much of a performance decrease will I see from a 8x8x ?
And will my 500 watt power supply be able to handle it?
1 5770 only takes 108 watts on full load, 2 = 216w plus everything else in my build = 450 watts estimate.

More about : crossfire 5770 16x4x

a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 4:35:51 AM

If I remember correctly, toms did an article where a GTX 480 ran at x4 with only ~10-15% lowered performance (more when games are less demanding but then it doesn't matter), so don't worry too much about your 5770.
What PSU model? Different brands measure wattage differently. If it's antec/corsair/pcp&c or some others, then yes. Otherwise, maybe.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 5:05:32 AM

If it splits it to 8x 8x mode you will be fine, but it does not say that it will. I think you should be fine even @ 16x 4x.
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 5:32:24 AM

I wouldn't X-fire with x16x4. It will essentially drop both cards to x4, which would negate any X-fire performance increase with the 5770. A x8x8 board has a minimal drop in performance (2-3%). If you want increased performance from your 5770, I would suggest getting a 5870, or even a 6870. Price wise, a 5870 runs about as much as two 5770's, and the 6870's are about 1 1/2 times the price. Plus you can always sell your current 5770 for around $100.
Personally, I'm very pleased with my 5770. It maxes out some extremely graphics intensives games.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 5:40:01 AM

jockey said:
I wouldn't X-fire with x16x4. It will essentially drop both cards to x4, which would negate any X-fire performance increase with the 5770. A x8x8 board has a minimal drop in performance (2-3%). If you want increased performance from your 5770, I would suggest getting a 5870, or even a 6870. Price wise, a 5870 runs about as much as two 5770's, and the 6870's are about 1 1/2 times the price. Plus you can always sell your current 5770 for around $100.
Personally, I'm very pleased with my 5770. It maxes out some extremely graphics intensives games.

No, 8x does not always drop performance. An x8 will only reduce 1-2% of a hd5870. Anything under a hd5870 will have its full bandwidth and run just fine. Because a hd5770 is about half a hd5870 and it is running @ half the speed he would lose about 1-5% performance. Personally I wouldn't do it, but it is his decision and I really do not think that it would hurt performance much.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 6:12:39 AM

HostileDonut said:
No, 8x does not always drop performance. An x8 will only reduce 1-2% of a hd5870. Anything under a hd5870 will have its full bandwidth and run just fine. Because a hd5770 is about half a hd5870 and it is running @ half the speed he would lose about 1-5% performance. Personally I wouldn't do it, but it is his decision and I really do not think that it would hurt performance much.

His mobo only supports x16, x4. He was just asking about x8,x8 decrease, which i stated would be 2-3%.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 6:17:59 AM

jockey said:
His mobo only supports x16, x4. He was just asking about x8,x8 decrease, which i stated would be 2-3%.

I am telling you for a hd5770, x8 is more than enough. A hd5870 loses 1-2% performance running on x8, anything under a hd5870 has full bandwidth. The hd5770 is half the card of a hd5870. Keeping in mind that the hd5770 is half the card a hd5870 is and if it is running at half the bandwidth of 8x (4x) he loses virtually no performance. Like I said, he could lose like 5% performance, but that shouldn't stop him from buying something he really wants.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
a b ) Power supply
a b V Motherboard
February 6, 2011 5:28:53 PM

Sorry, that PSU only has 1 PCI-E connector. You will need two. :(  But you would only lose like 5% performance from what I have heard.
m
0
l
!