IBM TP A20m No Net Connection Problem

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
April 26, 2005 11:06:10 PM

IBM Thinkpad A20m, ethernet problem. I'm stumped on this one.

The drivers are installed and appear to be working for the 3Com
Ethernet adapter, but I still can't connect to a network (ie get a link
light). The little network symbol in the lower right corner (Win2K) has
a red X. The cable I use connects my A22p to the network just fine, so
unless I'm missing something it's got to be the laptop.

Any ideas on what's wrong, how to diagnose, or how to fix it?

Thanks!
April 27, 2005 4:21:40 AM

try a pcmcia network card
"Coffee" <xanthinine@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> IBM Thinkpad A20m, ethernet problem. I'm stumped on this one.
>
> The drivers are installed and appear to be working for the 3Com
> Ethernet adapter, but I still can't connect to a network (ie get a link
> light). The little network symbol in the lower right corner (Win2K) has
> a red X. The cable I use connects my A22p to the network just fine, so
> unless I'm missing something it's got to be the laptop.
>
> Any ideas on what's wrong, how to diagnose, or how to fix it?
>
> Thanks!

Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 27, 2005 9:08:00 AM

Coffee wrote:
> IBM Thinkpad A20m, ethernet problem. I'm stumped on this one.

Are you sure you have a combo card in it? Not all the A20m machines came
with a combo modem/ethernet card, but just a modem card, even though they
all have the RJ45 connector.

What's the model number of your unit?

Regards,

James
Related resources
April 27, 2005 10:15:38 PM

Yes, it worked several years ago in the good ol' dorm rooms. I bought a
wireless pcmcia card when I moved into an apartment with shared wifi. I
first realized the "other" network card wasn't working when I recently
went to a hotel that had wired ethernet and I couldn't connect. After
taking the laptop to work and trying to plug into the network there,
that confirmed the problem was the laptop.

Also, the drivers install and say everything is working fine, but the
model number is 2628-4xu.

Thanks!

JHEM wrote:
> Coffee wrote:
> > IBM Thinkpad A20m, ethernet problem. I'm stumped on this one.
>
> Are you sure you have a combo card in it? Not all the A20m machines
came
> with a combo modem/ethernet card, but just a modem card, even though
they
> all have the RJ45 connector.
>
> What's the model number of your unit?
>
> Regards,
>
> James
April 28, 2005 12:50:12 AM

No, I am not using IBM's Access Connections. A reformatting to load
Win2K took care of that.

I already tried removing the wifi card, but that doesn't seem to get me
an actual connection. I think the problem may be some type of physical
error or misalignment.
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 6:27:21 AM

Coffee wrote:
> Yes, it worked several years ago in the good ol' dorm rooms. I bought
> a wireless pcmcia card when I moved into an apartment with shared
> wifi. I first realized the "other" network card wasn't working when I
> recently went to a hotel that had wired ethernet and I couldn't
> connect. After taking the laptop to work and trying to plug into the
> network there, that confirmed the problem was the laptop.
>
> Also, the drivers install and say everything is working fine, but the
> model number is 2628-4xu.

Are you using IBM's Access Connections?

Try removing the WiFi and then connecting the RJ45 cable.

Regards,

James
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
April 28, 2005 6:27:22 AM

JHEM wrote:
> Coffee wrote:
>
>>Yes, it worked several years ago in the good ol' dorm rooms. I bought
>>a wireless pcmcia card when I moved into an apartment with shared
>>wifi. I first realized the "other" network card wasn't working when I
>>recently went to a hotel that had wired ethernet and I couldn't
>>connect. After taking the laptop to work and trying to plug into the
>>network there, that confirmed the problem was the laptop.
>>
>>Also, the drivers install and say everything is working fine, but the
>>model number is 2628-4xu.
>

> Are you using IBM's Access Connections?
>
> Try removing the WiFi and then connecting the RJ45 cable.
>
> Regards,
>
> James

it may be a physical connection problem. Open up your mini pci door,
the card is probably seated ok as you were able to load the driver.
Make sure the ribbon connectors at the other end is fitted snugly and
not loosen at all.
May 8, 2005 2:12:15 AM

Update:

Well, I tried replugging everything and it still didn't work. After
cursing the universe for a few minutes I slapped my laptop and it
actually connected! I guess something had come loose and giving it a
slight jolt put it in its place, so to speak.

Thanks for all your help, everyone!

!