Your final thoughts on my build

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Build
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
April 11, 2011 5:08:31 PM

Hello Guru's (webster's dictionary says -GURU-"somebody who has a reputation as an expert leader')
Well I posted some months ago about being ready to build my FIRST computer and then the Sandy Bridge issue hit the world and like everyone else, I "paused" until this issue was resolved. May I ask you ladies and gentlemen some questions regarding this build. Please-I'll take as much input as possible. I will be ordering parts in the next few days depending upon your responses..I thank you in advance more taking some time for me.

Questions:
1. Sandy Bridge: Has this issue along with the motherboard makers been resolved? I think so, but I can find nothing that says, "everything is ok".
2. Are there cooling blocks for the ASUS P8P67 and the 2600K (1155 socket) yet?
3. I've priced this out at around 3500-3800 and that's ok.
4. Without going crazy on expense, I'm comfortable with the 3800 cost so if there are better performing parts for around the same or less price, please let me know..
5. Is all of this compatible? I've "picked and chose" based upon reviews, this forum and other sources so I just need to know if this will work.
6. Can I build it - "I did stay at a Holiday Inn one night"...

My build:
Case: Cooler Master HAF-X
PS: Silver Stone ATX12V/EPS12V 1000W (yes I know it's a little overkill but I want expansion room)
CPU: i7 2600K Sandy Bridge (is Intel now shipping "good" ones)
MB: ASUS P8P67 Deluxe (are they now shipping for the 2600K?)
RAM: Corsair XMS3 12GB (6x2G)
SSD: Intel X25M 120G
HDD: WD Caviar 2T
HDD: WD Caviar 2T
Optical 1: Pioneer BDR-206MBK
Optical 2: LG UH10LS20 Blu-Ray Disk Combo Mulit-Blue Light Scribe
GPU: GTX 580
Sound: SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Pro
Net Card: Star Tech ST1000SPEX 1 10/100/1000
Keyboard: Logitech G19 (arrives tomorrow)
Mouse: Logitech Wirelss Performance MX(arrives tomorrow)

Water cooling:
Radiator - no clue yet (any help here?)
Cooling pump: Either Eheim or Laing (your thoughts)
CPU Water Block: Swifttech Apogee XT (do they make one for the 2600K? I can't tell)
GPU: Danger Den DD-GTX580 Full Card cooling block(is this the best?)
Chipset Water Block: ????????? (help)
RAM Water Block: ?????????? (is this just a waste of time and money???)
Hose: 5/8
Plan on compression fittings

Again - Thank you so much for reviewing my build here and I do look forward to hearing your inputs. I really do need your help here....
Tom

More about : final thoughts build

April 11, 2011 5:23:17 PM

Q1. Sandy Bridge: Has this issue along with the motherboard makers been resolved? I think so, but I can find nothing that says, "everything is ok".
A1. The issue lied with the deterioration of the SATA ports on the intel controller. This issue has now been fully resolved with the B3 revisions.

Q2. Are there cooling blocks for the ASUS P8P67 and the 2600K (1155 socket) yet?
A2. No idea :(  (Water cooling isnt my thing)

Q4. Without going crazy on expense, I'm comfortable with the 3800 cost so if there are better performing parts for around the same or less price, please let me know..
A4. 3800 USD seems mighty expensive. Have you considered using air cooling? The sandy bridge chipset can reach its OC limit on air. (Great way to save money and with the right kit can be almost silent)

Q5. Is all of this compatible? I've "picked and chose" based upon reviews, this forum and other sources so I just need to know if this will work.
A5. It all looks like its compatible to me.

Q6. Can I build it - "I did stay at a Holiday Inn one night"...
A6. YES! IMO anyone can build a computer. Even with very little experience a first time building shouldn’t have to much trouble due to the detailed instructions provided with components and services such as Toms that can help you even further.

Edit - Typo's
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 11, 2011 5:51:51 PM

Answer 1) The issue has been almost resolved - and the evidence is in the fact that so many motherboards are now back in stock. I say "almost" becasue some are still not available, or are sold out, but that is getting better as the month rolls along.

Answer 2) When you say "cooling blocks" are you referring to water blocks for liquid cooling? Mounting points for the 1155 are the same as 1156, so the cpu is no problem. Chipsets are not really needed, per this thread: Xtreme Systems. There is at least one manufacturere that is considering it: EK Water Blocks

Answer 3) If by 3800 you mean US$3800, then that is a whopping amount to spend on a PC, and you should probably reconsider who you are buying your parts from.

Answer 4) Depending on what you wish to accomplish with this computer, there are most likely seriously lower priced components that will give you similar or acceptable performance. I just finished (re)builiding a machine that was about half the price and is faster than what you have configured here. Tell us what you want to do, and we can give you the best advice.

Answer 5) Agree with dsM22 - it all looks compatible.

Answer 6) Oh yes you can build it, and here are two references that will help: Step-by-Step Guide to Building a PC and "System won't boot" and "no video output" checklist

Strongly suggest that you build out the machine with stock cooling or air cooling first, then do the research on your water cooling and install separate. Consider it a 2 phase approach. Water cooling is a hobby, and needs to be done slowly and deliberately - you could even do that in stages if you like. Here is new up-to-date sticky for the WC stuff: Overclocking forum - Water Cooling Stickey

Look forward to hearing back from you.
m
l
Related resources
April 11, 2011 8:45:47 PM

dsM22 said:
Q1. Sandy Bridge: Has this issue along with the motherboard makers been resolved? I think so, but I can find nothing that says, "everything is ok".
A1. The issue lied with the deterioration of the SATA ports on the intel controller. This issue has now been fully resolved with the B3 revisions.

Q2. Are there cooling blocks for the ASUS P8P67 and the 2600K (1155 socket) yet?
A2. No idea :(  (Water cooling isnt my thing)

Q4. Without going crazy on expense, I'm comfortable with the 3800 cost so if there are better performing parts for around the same or less price, please let me know..
A4. 3800 USD seems mighty expensive. Have you considered using air cooling? The sandy bridge chipset can reach its OC limit on air. (Great way to save money and with the right kit can be almost silent)

Q5. Is all of this compatible? I've "picked and chose" based upon reviews, this forum and other sources so I just need to know if this will work.
A5. It all looks like its compatible to me.

Q6. Can I build it - "I did stay at a Holiday Inn one night"...
A6. YES! IMO anyone can build a computer. Even with very little experience a first time building shouldn’t have to much trouble due to the detailed instructions provided with components and services such as Toms that can help you even further.

Edit - Typo's

I want to thank you very much for the input! You answered my questions quickly! I appreciate the help, my friend!
Tom
m
l
April 11, 2011 9:00:17 PM

Dear Eloric:
Thanks so much for the quick, technical answers you provided me. It was a BIG help.
Quesntions:
1. FINALLY!! Now I can move forward
2. Yes, I meant water blocks for the CPU, GPU and Ram.. I AM taking your advice and building the computer first and looking at the water cooling as phase two in the future. Great advice on this one..
3. Yes, $3800 but now that I removed all the cooling stuff and the MS Office Home/Bus Suite it looks like this:
Cooler Master HAF- X 942 KKN1 : $189.99
SilverStone ATX12V/EPS12V 1000W :$183.60
Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge processor:$315.00
ASUS P8P67 Deluxe :$284.69
Intel X25M 120G Intel SSD SSDSA2MH120G2K5:$229.99
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB WD20EADS:$79.99
Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB WD20EADS:$79.99
Pioneer BDR-206 mbk:$199.00
LG UH10LS20 Blu-ray Disc Combo Internal SATA 10x SuperMulti Blue LightScribe:$80.00
EVGA GeForce GTX 580 1536 MB GDDR5 PCI-Express 2.0 Graphics Card: $497.49
Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Professional :$119.99
StarTech ST1000SPEX 1 Port PCI Express 10/100/1000 Gigabit Ethernet Network Adapter Card:$21.97
CORSAIR XMS3 12GB (6 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM (6X2G) :$159.99
Microsoft Windows 7 Home Edition:$179.99
Logitech G19:$169.99
Logitech Wireless Performance MX mouse:$73.68

Totals out at around : $2900 (includes shipping on some parts)
I had planned to buy almost ALL the parts from Amazon. They have mostly free shipping and the prices are pretty close to others- YOU THOUGHTS here??

One Additional Question: Should I go ahead with the P8P67 Deluxe or wait for the Z68? I plan to use a GTX580 anyway so what would I gain by waiting on the z68?
Again, I really do appreciate the help here..I was rearing to go then the Sandy Bridge issue and now I'm ready to go again.
I just don't want to do what they say in the militray: READY-SHOOT-AIM! I really want to get it right the first time...Lots of bucks, little experience, but common sense. It's guys like you and dsM22 that pull us "newbies" out of the fire..........!!!
m
l
April 11, 2011 10:05:02 PM

Pantbuild, everything looks good. On the Intel® SSD X25-M 120GB they are starting to be phased out if you have a hard time finding it to worry about going with the Intel SSD 320 120GB, it has a little bit better performance than the older X25-M. Also check out the rules about picking up an OEM copy of Windows 7.
The H67 chipset based board will allow you to overclock the graphics; the P67 chipset based board will allow you to overclock the core clock speed of the processor. The next generation board for the 1155 most likely will allow you to do both.

Christian Wood
Intel Enthusiast Team
m
l
April 11, 2011 10:20:40 PM

If I were you I'd go with a 3x4GB RAM config. 6x2GB is only asking for trouble, as all 12GB aren't always read. It also puts more strain on your motherboard because it has to supply electricity to twice the number of DIMMs.
m
l
April 11, 2011 10:33:10 PM

Those hard drives are only 5400rpm spin speed. I assume the point of buying 2 is to run them in a RAID 0 setup. Buying a 7200rpm HDD will cost very little more but give a nice boost to performance. Samsungs Spinpoint range are amazing for the price :) 
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 12, 2011 12:28:32 AM

Oh, where to start? How about some general advice? Shop around - Newegg has the best prices on a lot of items, but there are other deals to be had. Amazon is lower priced only occasionally. Micro Center has the cheapest CPU, and sometimes lower prices on motherboards. Do you live near a Microcenter? It is worth the drive to go touch the case you are looking at. Frys is another brick and mortar that will match online prices, but you have to pay tax instead of shipping. Frys also has the cheapest price on the air cooler you want to start off with - the Cooler Master Hyper 212 plus for $20. I know that getting the lowest possible price is not the primary goal, but if you can save $50 on each of your components, then that adds up to another video card - and that would be a huge improvement!

OK, next: need to know your heart's desire here. Do you want to set world Over Clocking records? Do you want to have the most bad-ass gaming system possible? Are you going to set up a half a dozen virtual machines? Maybe you are going to produce your own movies? Need a theme to get a bead for honing the fine points on this build. Whatever you are interested in - maybe this machine is the cherry on top of a grand home theater - it will help to figure out where to spend money, and where to scale back a little bit.
m
l
April 12, 2011 1:29:38 AM

Everyone posting has great information for you, I would like to highlight some of their points to reaffirm them, as well as pose a question for you on a few of the listed parts.

Software:
You could save additional $'s by purchasing the OEM license for Windows 7, If you are going to be installing the OS yourself the difference between retail and OEM is the retail box gives you a call to Microsoft for support, but is that call worth $100 up front? Also make sure you purchase home premium, not home standard.

Drives:
You should skip the X25 Intel SSD and go for a current generation model like the recommended 320 series. The X25 was a beast when it came out two years ago, but its performance has been eclipsed nearly two fold by the newer generation Intel and Sandforce drives. Upgrading your rotation drives to 7200RPM will have a negligible cost impact, but a noticeable performance increase. With the budget your looking at I would spend the extra $15.

Memory:
Unless your using a triple channel supported system you should purchase your memory in pairs. Its also best to not fill every slot unless you are using the largest supported memory module to ensure future upgradeability if you should need more memory in the future. The P8P67 only supports 4 memory modules in dual channel mode, so the 6x2gb kit would be wasting 4GB of ram. You would be much better off buying a 2x4 or 4x4 kit.

Duplication:

You have included both a BD combo player, and a BD combo burner. You will most likely never get $80 of use out of the stand alone reader.

You have included and after market 1gb network card. If you want to have dual NIC's then this will be fine. If you want to have better performance then purchase a Killer NIC. http://www.amazon.com/VisionTek-Killer-Express-Network-...

You have added a stand alone sound card. The system comes with on-board 7.1 surround audio, if your going to buy an add-on sound card, buy the champion series with the front panel connector for $25 more. http://www.amazon.com/Express-Blaster-Titanium-Fatal1ty...

Sounds like a killer PC that can be a jack of all trades, have fun with your build.
Edit - Typos
m
l
April 12, 2011 1:55:20 PM

Eloric: Done! Great input on the SSD..I will 320-120GB as you suggest.. My goal is to refine this build from an "earlier" build and incorporate all the "latest"/"newer" similar items and your suggestion does just that.........Thanks!
Tom
m
l
April 12, 2011 1:58:29 PM

dsM22: Well........ya did it again! I'm moving parts around based on these inputs and just went to the Samsung Spinpoints! Gee, I wonder who's excellent idea THAT was????
Thanks buddy
Tom
m
l
April 12, 2011 2:22:46 PM

Dear dalethepcman: Great info!

Software: With OEM, if I have an "issue" with the win7, wouldn't MS Support tell me to go fly a kite? If so, I will probably buy the retain version and hold onto some support. But keep in mind it will only cost me $20......because you already saved me $80 with my dunderheaded double BD drives! Good point on those.......what was I thinking.. No wonder ILORIC was scratching his head on my build......

Drives: IntelEnthusiast said the EXACT SAME THING you did! Therefore - DONE.......

Memory: I mispoke when I said 6x2GB... I meant to say 2x6GB...Would this work? Or am I wasting more money for little added performance? (looks like your 2x4GB is the way to go)

Duplication: Duh on me.......Thanks

NIC: never heard of the "Vision Tek Killer" but it has now replaced my standard NIC......Thanks!

Sound card: Again, great call on your part........Done! (I like having some controls and plug in's up front)...Worth it to me.......

I appreciate you and all the guys on this thread taking the time to keep me from making dumb mistakes and overspending or...not catching the "newer" versions out there...
Thanks again!
Tom

m
l
April 12, 2011 4:06:29 PM

Dear Eloric:
You make a good point........"Where to start"... Once I nail down all the parts you guys have inputed me on...I will head to all the parts houses and try to nail down "best price"..
You ask if I had a Microcenter near me......Oh no...I'm down here in good old NC! I went to Microcenter and Frys and they are mostly west/southwest. I have a Costco and the internet.........
Now that I'm not going water cooling (based upon your recommendation).......

I was looking at the air coolers.
Here is my thoughts and I surely welcome yours as well
CPU: Thermalright Venomous X Silent Edition with push+pull fans...
GPU: Thermalright Shaman..
RAM: Thermalright HR-07.. (yes maybe not necessary but for a the price..........oh so cool)

Heart's desire you ask?: I've restored corvettes from the frame up..I've read some books/watched some youtubes on capentry and completely tore out a master bath and remodeled it from the floor up including new tile (the tiling part really isn't that hard, it's the plumbing!!)...Now it's time to build my own. The problem is, I'm less sure of the "technicals" but think this project is very doable...So build it I will. You guys on this thread are REALLY HELPING ME with the "technicals".....

Now what do I want this computer to do?....... (excellent question by the way)........
I am a retired naval officer and are you ready for this.....a "gamer" just like you young whipper snappers!. Yep, I like all the really good games ie: Half Life, Cilvilization, Fallout3, Fallout New Vegas, Modern Warfare et al. So I want a "kickass" machine which won't bog down or force me to use such minimal resolution settings as my current (5 yr old/GTX 6800) machine does now. I also do some video work and photo work (wife owns a travel agency and she/we travel which creates 100's of pics that need cropping, etc) so video/pic work too. I spend a couple of hours a day on the internet browsing news sites etc and have a highspeed broadband cable connection. I have a new 24 inch Dell Monitor (got by wife a new computer for her business (of course she paid for it - but max upgraded her monitor and swapped my old 21 inch for her 24 in.-so monitor is covered. I do have the "dream" of dual or triple monitors someday but really can't justify it yet, but when I do, I would like the system already capable of doing it.
Like I said, my present machine is over 5 years old, an old Optiplex Dell running 2G ram, old Nvidia card and well..just outdated.
This build? I want to jump in with the latest stuff so I atleast I'll have a very nice machine for the next 2 years or so and the room (hence the HAF-X) to upgrade, replace newer components as it comes along and becomes cost feasible.......

I hope this answered your questions and all I can say is, "I thank you and all you guys for your help here"......I NEED IT!
Tom
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 12, 2011 5:57:19 PM

So you came to Atlanta to visit MicroCenter and Frys? Those are the stores closest to me! Agree with you about the plumbing - nothing as hard as that when you play with computers. Gaming machine, some video/pictures, maybe play around some with overclocking and other technology - check this out for starters: System Builder Marathon, March 2011: $2000 Performance PC

In addition, upgrade the case and power supply to the parts you have already selected, and then think about what else you would like to change. I know if I had 6950 video cards, they would be unlocked in a heart beat.

You do not need the sound blaster or PCI card, so that saves you some money. I might have to talk you down from the overpriced Windows OS - I have never called Microsoft in the year that I have owned Win7, and have been able to get every question answered on-line after googling for it. There, I said it, and now will come off my soap box.

I can get you some more feedback tonight when I get off work - some of us aren't yet retired!
m
l
April 12, 2011 8:04:17 PM

If you don't plan on OCing a lot, you should be fine on air especially with a sandybridge CPU. I'd suggest reading up a lot on watercooling before doing anything with it. Check around on newegg also, sometimes they have good deals.
m
l
April 12, 2011 8:05:52 PM

I agree with Eloric, the killer NIC and sound blaster are not needed to function, they were also under the duplication section (I know its horribly formatted). But if you want them, then go for it. They will both provide an improved experience over the on board parts.

I would still recommend using the OEM install disc, but here is an easy qualifier for you. Think back to all the computers you have owned, did you need to call Microsoft for assistance with anything? If the answer is yes, than you will probably want the retail software.

I would agree that 2x 6950's would be better then 1x 580 for the $'s Also the 6950's will allow tipple monitor displays which you said you might be looking into in the future. If you want to unlock them to the potential of a 6970 you will have to purchase the 2GB models.

m
l
April 12, 2011 9:29:20 PM

Eloric: / dalethepcman
Ok my friend! You talked back into the OEM window 7. I've called microsoft before but it was usually about the suite not the OS so here we go-OEM......

If I have you and DALETHEPCMAN correctly - you'd both go with dual 6950's vice the 580........Is that correct??
What about 1 x 580 for now and when I get ready to go with 2 monitors-just add another 580 or is that just a horrible waste of bucks..Now that I say it, I think it is...
If you and dalethepcman say GO FOR IT with dual 6950's......... then that is what I will do.....just want to confirm.....

NIC: From what I read up on the killer NIC, it is "supposed" to improve throughput / online gaming. (I don't do much "on-line" gaming cause all you young whipper snappers just kill me in the first 30 seconds and I have to regen!! So I stay home and play with myself......well..I mean "OFF-Line"!!

I think I'll keep the SB Fatal1ity Titanium Pro because I'm not real sure of the performance of the sound on the chip........plus I like the front controls/inputs

In the next day couple of days, I will finalize the parts list and post it for you guys to take ONE LAST LOOK before I "pull the trigger".. Oh my, can I say pull the trigger in these PC days??????

I think I'm almost there!!
Tom

m
l
April 12, 2011 10:59:28 PM

Dual 580's would be incredible performance, but at increased cost of $400 over dual 6950's you won't get that noticeable an increase in FPS, and your power use and heat generation would double.

A single 580 scores around 15-20% faster than a single 6950 2GB (without unlocking the 6950, 5% after unlocking) but for $100 more than the price of a single 580, you can have dual 6950's that destroy a 580 everywhere.
m
l

Best solution

a b B Homebuilt system
April 13, 2011 12:25:37 AM

Dual 6950's plus triple monitors = most excellent goal, and a great upgrade path.

Let's move on to the chillers:

Sorry, the Thermalright Venomous-X got panned in the reviews. I know it has an awesome name and looks pretty good, but I ask you to consider something else. Here is the high quality standard: Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler. At $93, it is nearly the same price. Just as quiet on the ultra low settings, it has the ability to pull heat away like few other coolers.

This is another alternative: Prolimatech Megahalems Rev.B CPU Cooler at $70. Here is a fan that ought to make this cooler hum: COOLER MASTER Excalibur. If you want to max out on air, then two of these at $19 each will do the job. They will also be effectively silent, and the look should be outstanding.

Motherboard is next. Newegg has the Asus P8P67 DELUXE for $50 less.

Memory: If you want to overclock, then try 4 GB with high performance: CORSAIR DOMINATOR GT 4GB. For something a little less exotic: G.SKILL Sniper Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3 1600. OK, exotic 8GB: G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 8GB. Here is my take on memory: you do not need more than 8GB in any of today's applications, and 4 GB is sufficient for all games. 4 GB should also do for any batch of pics you are going to handle at a time. The more memory you have the harder it is to overclock. Also, overclocking does not achieve much benefit, but it can be fun to try. Finally, those little fans work great for cooling, and I won't ever ruin a stick of memory ever again trying to swap out the heat sinks for something else. The stuff just does not get that hot to justify modding it that way, anyway.

SSD: This G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series model has the sandforce controller, which is much faster than IBM, and the same price.

Well that is about it for now. Good luck in your final selection - I am sure you will do just great! Let me know if you want me to pick up your CPU for $280 - NC is just a ways North and East of here, I believe.

April 13, 2011 9:21:23 PM

OK ! ! !
Dear Eloric, dalethepcman, dsM22, PudgyChicken, farsuka..
I want to thank EACH of you for your assistance and a BIG thanks to ELORIC. In military parlance Eloric, "you went beyond the call of duty" and really provided very insightful, cogent inputs. You took quite a bit of your precious time to assist this "newbie" in getting to the finish line (finish line here equals - start the parts ordering)....
All of you helped me to further improve the build and in many cases, you helped me improve performance and still hold the costs in line.
If you compare the parts below with my "original" starting point, you all can see the impact each of you had on my build!
I really feel like each of you have "some skin in the game"...

Final call here........If you don't see a major f**** up, I'll be ordering all parts Friday...
Many thanks
Tom

PS: In case you wondered, "pantbuild" didn't stand for "pants" it stands for Pantera (a car I've owned for 22 years)
PPS: Eloric...thanks for the invite on the CPU pickup, but I'll just order along with other parts (getting ALL except PS at Newegg anyway)..I also tried pricing parts out at Micro Center and so many were "in store pickup only", that I gave up..Oh well.....
PPS: dalethepcman- I like SPAM too! 30 years in the Navy and you learn to love stuff like SPAM!

PPSS: I won't keep bugging you guys but check back with me if you'd like over the next month or two and I'll cut you on "how it's going"........

Here is the final:
Case $189.99 Cooler Master HAF- X 942 KKN1
Power Supply $206.00 SILVERSTONE Strider Gold ST1000-G 1000W ATX 12V v2.3 / EPS 12V 80 PLUS GOLD (saved about $45 with Amazon)
CPU $314.99 Core i7 2600K Sandy Bridge processor
Motherboard $239.99 ASUS P8P67 DELUXE (REV 3.0) LGA 1155 Intel P67 SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
SSD 1 $229.99 G.SKILL Sniper Gaming Series FM-25S2S-120GBSR 2.5" 120GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD)
HDD 1 $169.99 Western Digital 2 TB Caviar Black SATA 6GB/s 7200 RPM 64 MB Cache WD2002FAEX
HDD 1 $87.99 Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s
Optical Drive #1 $179.99 Pioneer Black 6X BD-R 2X BD-RE 8X DVD+R 6X BD-ROM 4MB Cache BDR-206MBK
Optical Drive #2 $0.00 NONE
Graphics Card $539.00 DUAL - MSI R6950-2PM2D2GD5 Radeon HD 6950 2GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP
Sound Card $172.99 Creative PCI Express Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion Series Sound Card
Network card $69.99 VisionTek Killer 2100 128 MB DDR2 PCI Express Gaming Network Card 900317
Ram Memory $199.99 G.SKILL Ripjaws X + Turbulence II Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 2133 (PC3 17000)
O/S Software $99.99 Microsoft Windows 7 Home Edition OEM !!
Keyboard 1 $169.99 Logitech G19
Mouse 1 $73.68 Logitech Wireless Performance MX mouse
MS Office ` $214.00 MS Office Home and Business OEM!!
Fan Control Unit $70.00 Lamptron "Touch" fan control unit
CPU Air Cooler $89.99 Noctua NH-D14 120mm & 140mm SSO CPU Cooler
VGA Air Cooler $79.95 Thermalright Shaman
RAM Air Cooler $10.00 Thermalright HR-07 (seems like this item is hard to find)
m
l
April 13, 2011 9:42:55 PM

That's quite a list! Two last pointers. Previously you decided to ditch the second NIC, you put the Killer NIC back on your list.

The Shaman VGA Replacement Coolers are great but may void your warranty, if that's not something that scares you (never bothered me) then you may want to purchase two of them, one for each video card.
m
l
April 13, 2011 9:53:43 PM

Hey dalethepcman:
Yes on the Killer NIC...I kept reading that it "helped" performance but not sure...Thought I'd give it a try and then I can do a review.
Shaman VGA Replacement coolers: Good point....They wont' interfer with the Shaman CPU cooler will they?? Guess not...
Thank buddy!
Tom
m
l
a b B Homebuilt system
April 14, 2011 1:14:59 AM

What an awesome system!
m
l
April 21, 2011 3:00:38 PM

Best answer selected by pantbuild.
m