Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Is the 5770 Good enough for me?

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 6, 2011 6:29:49 AM

I have a 19 in 1440x900 monitor. I want to be able to run starcraft on ultraat 60 frames. I also want to be able to run other games such as mass effect 2, battlefield, dragon age, and maybe some newer games. SO what card do you guys recommend for this monitor?

More about : 5770 good

February 6, 2011 6:57:34 AM

It should be sufficient enough. It depends on how many people are playing, If it was 8 player FFA and there was suddenly a huge conflict, it would lag a bit,

I have a GTX 260 and I can run BC2 on high settings fine, and SC2 on high just fine
m
0
l
Related resources
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 7:20:09 AM

p6rtw said:
It should be sufficient enough. It depends on how many people are playing, If it was 8 player FFA and there was suddenly a huge conflict, it would lag a bit,

I have a GTX 260 and I can run BC2 on high settings fine, and SC2 on high just fine

yeah but the 260 is comparable to the 5830 not 5770.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 7:46:48 AM

For the specified resolution it will be more than enough to handle all the latest games.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 1:59:34 PM

Starcraft 2 and a lot of newer games coming out are getting way more CPU intensive. If you on;y have a dual-core, you will notice huge lag spikes during big battles. I would recommend maing sure you have at least a triple-core to go with the 5770, then you should be fine. I remember the 57XX series didn;t have the best anti-aliasing though, so you might have to turn that off to get Ultra settings.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 3:03:50 PM

How about more info? cpu? psu?
m
0
l
February 6, 2011 4:13:56 PM

You should be fine. I play at 1280x720 and have a 5770, everything is on ultra and I get around 50fps. I'm thinking its more of a CPU intensive game though because I have had frame rate dips and a little lag before. And I can play crysis warhead maxed totally fine and I feel like SC2 doesn't look as nice as that one so I guess it all makes sense. My CPU is a X3720 BE at 2.8ghz (or it was)
m
0
l
February 6, 2011 4:50:38 PM

i will be getting the amd phenom II 965 black edition. Is that good enough cpu with this card?
m
0
l
February 6, 2011 5:07:50 PM

Embra said:
How about more info? cpu? psu?


an antec 500 watt cpu and aphenom II 965 x4
m
0
l
February 6, 2011 5:15:27 PM

Fullmetalx said:
i will be getting the amd phenom II 965 black edition. Is that good enough cpu with this card?


Lol if my 3 cores at 2.8Ghz will do it I'm pretty sure 4 cores at 3.4 will do just fine =D
m
0
l
February 6, 2011 6:27:57 PM

Ive been reading around and I found out that a single 5850 can beat 2x5770 and its $50 more. And a 6870 can beat the 5850 for $10 more. My maximum budget is $700 by I am extremely tempted of buying one of those other cards instead if they an really double the performance of the 5770 .Do you guys have any advice?
m
0
l
February 6, 2011 6:56:30 PM

anyone have advice to give?
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 9:16:03 PM

I'm running a 6870 now and it replaced 2x 5750's that were overclocked beyond a 5770 and it's a slight performance increase in new games. Plus I don;t have to deal with Crossfire headaches in some older games. If you can afford a 6870, I would recommend it. It needs 150W on its own with 2 75 W 6-pin connectors form your power supply. Recommended power supply size is 500 W.

With the 6870, you also get full HDMI 1.4 support and 3D blue-ray support as well. So the 6870 is much more future-proof. Like I said, I'm running a 6870 so let me know if you have any more questions.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 9:23:18 PM

axipher said:
Starcraft 2 and a lot of newer games coming out are getting way more CPU intensive. If you on;y have a dual-core, you will notice huge lag spikes during big battles. I would recommend maing sure you have at least a triple-core to go with the 5770, then you should be fine. I remember the 57XX series didn;t have the best anti-aliasing though, so you might have to turn that off to get Ultra settings.


Actually a fast dual-core is better as SC2 only takes advantage of 2 CPU cores.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 9:31:16 PM

SC2 might only use two cores, but if you have a dual-core, windows will be sharing with that dual-core. If you have a triple-core, SC2 can use 2 of the less used cores, and the third core can be used for Windows and any other background tasks
m
0
l
February 6, 2011 11:20:01 PM

axipher said:
SC2 might only use two cores, but if you have a dual-core, windows will be sharing with that dual-core. If you have a triple-core, SC2 can use 2 of the less used cores, and the third core can be used for Windows and any other background tasks


That is an ideal scenario, alas Windows does not handle multithreading like that.
m
0
l
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2011 12:19:59 AM

LetUsAdvance said:
That is an ideal scenario, alas Windows does not handle multithreading like that.



task manager set affinity to core......
m
0
l
!