Sign in with
Your question

My Computer Just Got A Virus - Please Help?

Last response: in Windows 7
December 1, 2011 9:53:11 PM

Since yesterday, I had my firewall disabled for a day to fix some beta issues with SW:TOR. After the beta ended, I forgot to turn my firewall back on. I went to this website, and as soon as I left, my Norton kept spamming me to give "Google" permission to do something. I clicked no, but it would return. Eventually I clicked yes, and my computer has been SCREWED up since then.

Now:

- My taskbar icons disappeared. My word, excel, SC2, WoW, LoL icons all disappeared.
- My start menu has 3 icons in it now. Opera, control panel, and my computer.
- When I go to some websites, for example, some websites with the word "Anti-virus" in it, it re-directs me to the same page where it says downloading (search phrase) and then a %.
- My task manager says iexplorer.exe is running. Every time I close it, it opens back up.
- I can't find a LOT of programs on my computer now for some reason.

All of this is making me very angry. Any help would be appreciated. I ran Avira scan, it found 7-8 problems, I quarantined them, and then deleted them. Spybot Search and Destroy found 6 problems. I "fixed" and removed them all.

I tried doing a system restore to two different points, but after each restore, it said that "a file from the restore point is missing, system restore did not complete."

After all of this, my computer is still not working properly!

Please, ANY help would make my day! I can't do anything right now...

More about : computer virus

December 1, 2011 10:00:11 PM

i suggest booting up in safe mode with network (reboot and repeatingly press F8 till you get a menu with options such as safe mode, safe mode with networking, VGA mode)
Download combofix: http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/combofix/how-to-use-com...
Run it, till it shows a log file (may reboot by itself)
after that run malwarebytes: http://www.malwarebytes.org/

After all this it should have wiped off about 98% of the bad things.

Edit: Use the link nikorr posted
m
l
Related resources
December 1, 2011 10:00:24 PM

I got a annoying redirect virus on one of the other pc's and the only thing that worked was combofix. Do you use any anti-virus at all?
m
l
December 1, 2011 10:24:13 PM

I used Norton, but it's subscription was down. I also use Spybot S&D which is pretty good.

Thanks for the info so far, I'm going to do the safemode thing and try what you told me! It is appreciated.

Will my files that I can't find come back? For example, I have Starcraft 2 on my taskbar, but now not only is it not there, it also can not be found in my start menu's search. Its file folder with the files is found, but no executable.
m
l
December 1, 2011 10:30:47 PM

TheMendicantBias said:
I used Norton, but it's subscription was down. I also use Spybot S&D which is pretty good.

Thanks for the info so far, I'm going to do the safemode thing and try what you told me! It is appreciated.

Will my files that I can't find come back? For example, I have Starcraft 2 on my taskbar, but now not only is it not there, it also can not be found in my start menu's search. Its file folder with the files is found, but no executable.

There's a high chance they'll come back, if not, 90% of time they'll just be hidden somewhere else in which you should be able to get them back manually.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 1, 2011 10:47:42 PM

turn system restore off and run highjackthis.
m
l
December 1, 2011 11:13:05 PM

110k files scabbed so far with Malware bytes, 0 objects infected found. Opera keeps closing, internet explorer keeps closing every time I go to a page with "anti-virus" or something like that in it. My guess is that the virus is censoring it.

I'm still running malware bytes. hopefully the issue found >.<
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
December 1, 2011 11:22:51 PM

Keep the other programs OFF while scanning.
m
l
December 1, 2011 11:40:07 PM

OMG OPERA KEEPS CRASHING, SO DOES EVERY OTHER BROWSER!

StackHash_7da7 IS THE FAULT MODULE HELP
m
l
December 1, 2011 11:40:30 PM

Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.51.2.1300
www.malwarebytes.org

Database version: 8288

Windows 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 (Safe Mode)
Internet Explorer 8.0.7601.17514

01/12/2011 6:33:12 PM
mbam-log-2011-12-01 (18-33-12).txt

Scan type: Full scan (C:\|D:\|F:\|G:\|H:\|I:\|)
Objects scanned: 364844
Time elapsed: 39 minute(s), 8 second(s)

Memory Processes Infected: 0
Memory Modules Infected: 0
Registry Keys Infected: 0
Registry Values Infected: 0
Registry Data Items Infected: 0
Folders Infected: 0
Files Infected: 0

Memory Processes Infected:
(No malicious items detected)

Memory Modules Infected:

Registry Keys Infected:

Registry Values Infected:

Registry Data Items Infected:

Folders Infected:

Files Infected:
m
l
December 1, 2011 11:43:51 PM

I ran malware bytes, and all of my browsers keep crashing. what the hell is going on...

my programs/task bar crap that got hidden isn't back yet either...

catalyst control center, and all of the intel i7 drivers are still crashing.

i haven't restarted my computer yet, so maybe that's it.

at this point, i'm kind of raging = /
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
December 1, 2011 11:47:01 PM

TheMendicantBias said:
I ran malware bytes, and all of my browsers keep crashing. what the hell is going on...

my programs/task bar crap that got hidden isn't back yet either...

catalyst control center, and all of the intel i7 drivers are still crashing.

i haven't restarted my computer yet, so maybe that's it.

at this point, i'm kind of raging = /

Did u run #2?
m
l
December 1, 2011 11:47:47 PM

anyone know how i can at least restore my system? I'd be happy with that. I have a couple of restore points before crap hit the fan, but every time I try, even from safe mode, it seems to fail...

i'm really sad right now. =(
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
December 1, 2011 11:48:29 PM

Do not use system restore as it is most likely infected.
m
l
December 1, 2011 11:49:16 PM

nikorr said:
Did u run #2?

I have a 64 bit OS, and so I'd have to use spybot SD according to your link, but every time i try to run it in safe mode, it says it can't run in safe mode.

should i run it in normal mode? and if i do, will that even fix this? my problems are still there.

I am beginning to hate people who code viruses, diallers, keyloggers, etc with a passion.
m
l
December 1, 2011 11:53:44 PM

nikorr said:
Do not use system restore as it is most likely infected.

so, then what you're saying is that i have to re-dl my OS? i can't, and that would make me reinstall or lose 500gb of data...

sigh...

I don't have my OS disk. I bought this comp from alienware, and windows 7 was already on it when it came (although I did purchase the OS.)

what should I do? I'm running spybot right now, and it has found 2 entries of w3i.IQ5.fraud

it's still completing. I'm in safe mode atm.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
December 1, 2011 11:55:50 PM

TheMendicantBias said:
so, then what you're saying is that i have to re-dl my OS? i can't, and that would make me reinstall or lose 500gb of data...

sigh...

I don't have my OS disk. I bought this comp from alienware, and windows 7 was already on it when it came (although I did purchase the OS.)

what should I do? I'm running spybot right now, and it has found 2 entries of w3i.IQ5.fraud

it's still completing. I'm in safe mode atm.

OK, finish the scan first.
m
l
December 1, 2011 11:58:05 PM

nikorr said:
OK, finish the scan first.

ok. it'll be finished within 4 minutes.
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:02:04 AM

ok, scan finish. 5 problems found, but i don't think any of them will be large enough to fix all of my problems. going to fix them.
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:02:50 AM

they were cookies, and 2 were registry keys according to S&D.
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:06:22 AM

if you can go in safe mode with networking install avast home edition then do a boot time scan it will clean anything that is a problem out.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2011 12:06:37 AM

Restart and run again.
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:11:54 AM

nikorr said:
Restart and run again.

I'm restarting right now (on a different computer.)

Thanks a LOT for the help so far. You're gaining nothing from helping me, and you're doing it anyway, so I REALLY appreciate it!

m
l
December 2, 2011 12:13:45 AM

sigh...i don't know if the virus is gone or not, but I just started in normal mode (logged in now) and the icons are not back, and I still can't find sc2 etc.

Catalyst control center just crashed upon logging in again, and so did the intel center.
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:16:04 AM

restarting again...after that trojan destroyer program, S&D, malware bytes, I guess I'll give the avast home edition thing a try.

Also, the virus seemed to still be affecting me in safemode with networking. Is that normal/usual? Opera and my other browsers still crashed when I went to any anti-virus site.

I don't know HOW something this harmful got into my computer. I've experienced a few viruses before; none this sheer painful to get rid of.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2011 12:18:13 AM

That's OK, lets scan again and go from there. Sometimes the damage is bad, depends on what u got.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2011 12:19:53 AM

Is there a MS key sticker on the laptop?
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:20:53 AM

Just to add a little to the topic.
R kill . Stops most active infections. It does not remove them but stops them from running.
Many virus writers know about MBAM ,Combo fix etc. and stop them from running.
R Kill is the answer to this.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/rki...
Download different versions. Virus writers know about this too. So they have many versions. It is the some software, but different executable file names.

EDIT
Follow the guides above, but run RKill first. It may take a while and seem like nothing is happening. but wait for it. When finished it will display a status screen.
I also suggest Installing AVAST. I install it on all of my familys computers. It is good at cleaning files,not just deleting them.
No software can stop you from clicking that button and installing a virus.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2011 12:24:10 AM

Unolocogringo said:
Just to add a little to the topic.
R kill . Stops most active infections. It does not remove them but stops them from running.
Many virus writers know about MBAM ,Combo fix etc. and stop them from running.
R Kill is the answer to this.
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/anti-virus/rki...
Download different versions. Virus writers know about this too. So they have many versions. It is the some software, but different executable file names.

That was #2, but it does not work properly on x64bit systems.
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:25:08 AM

doing a full system scan with avast now...hopefully this fixes it.

is something damaged within my registery maybe? is there a program to repair that?
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:27:01 AM

nikorr said:
Is there a MS key sticker on the laptop?

It's not a laptop. It's a heavy-weight Alienware aurora with an i7 processor.

I'm running avast at the moment. I really hope I don't have to re-install my operating system...way too much to lose. A system restore would be highly preferable.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2011 12:27:20 AM

TheMendicantBias said:
doing a full system scan with avast now...hopefully this fixes it.

is something damaged within my registery maybe? is there a program to repair that?

I would not run that just yet, but run also CCleaner @ http://www.filehippo.com/download_ccleaner/
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2011 12:28:30 AM

TheMendicantBias said:
It's not a laptop. It's a heavy-weight Alienware aurora with an i7 processor.

I'm running avast at the moment. I really hope I don't have to re-install my operating system...way too much to lose. A system restore would be highly preferable.

Tell me what do u have installed? U don't have multiple AV running? Do u?
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:31:16 AM

nikorr said:
Tell me what do u have installed? U don't have multiple AV running? Do u?

multiple AV? What do you mean, exactly?

I have 3gb ram, 875 watt PSU, liquid cooling, 2x ati 5670 hd graphics cards on crossfire, 1 500gb sata hard drive, and a disk drive. That's it, basically.

On my computer, I have some music files, word documents, and a few games, along with my spyware. That's it, basically.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2011 12:33:02 AM

I mean multiple antivirus programs installed.
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:33:38 AM

nikorr said:
That was #2, but it does not work properly on x64bit systems.

Have not read the sticky you referenced.
Did not know about the 64bit incompatibility.
MY bad.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2011 12:35:25 AM

Unolocogringo said:
Have not read the sticky you referenced.
Did not know about the 64bit incompatibility.
MY bad.

Its no problem, security people don't recommend it on x64bit systems : )
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:36:23 AM

nikorr said:
I mean multiple antivirus programs installed.

well, i originally had norton, but it's subscription ran out, and I had spybot S&D. After I got the virus, I got avg, but it wouldn't install correctly (didn't do it on safemode) so it never really installed, it's just sitting in its compressed state.

After that, I got avira. scanned on non-safe mode, it found 4-5 things, I quarantined and then removed, then ran malware bytes, then trojan remover, and now avast. after that, I'm planning on running CCleaner. if that doesn't fix it, then I'm going to cry...
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:40:08 AM

I paused my scan...running it now...I'll send you the log.
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2011 12:40:20 AM

TheMendicantBias said:
ok. can i run it while i'm scanning or should I wait until after it's done?

Run it.
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:42:24 AM

well, I ran belarc, and it closed and didn't give me a log. Ran it again, and my computer restarted in the middle of it...
m
l
a b 8 Security
a b $ Windows 7
December 2, 2011 12:45:45 AM

It should open the browser with results. Than u copy all and paste it in the PM.
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:46:05 AM

after running belarc, it gives your score/log on your browser...the problem is that my damned browser gives me a "Opera internet browser has stopped working message" with the option to check for solutions or close the program after the 10 seconds since I started it.
m
l
December 2, 2011 12:51:27 AM

I just sent it. My browsers are barely staying up. They keep crashing on the computer that's infected...wth
m
l
!