Motherboard posts but doesn' boot

Tags:
  • Motherboards
  • Boot
  • CD-Rom
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in Motherboards
March 20, 2012 11:22:35 AM

My motherboard can't boot from either cd / dvd or HDD - it says "Searching for boot record from CD-ROM.. Not found" and then moves on to HDD and says: " HDD boot record: OK" and next line "missing operating system".

I think the motherboard is somehow half-dead because I can see 2 capacitors at mid-board swollen but not etched and maybe that would be my problem.

I used different CD and DVD ROMs to try booting off them, with known good XP cd / dvds but to no avail, I get the same error. I know I can boot off a thumb drive but I want to know why this is happening.

I also want to state that I removed the hard drive and installed XP on it using another computer and when I put it back, same error - missing operating system.

I cleared the CMOS several times, same issue.

Can I throw the MB off the window and see how far it goes ?

MoBo - MS 6511, processor Athlon XP 2500+, 512 SD-RAM, system worked a year ago with Win 7 on it just fine.

Thanks in advance for your ideas, any suggestion is well appreciated.

More about : motherboard posts boot

a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2012 12:46:17 PM

pop in windows install disk press f8 boot from the cd run repair tool from the cd
March 20, 2012 3:47:50 PM

I set BIOS to boot from CD and it says not found, I tried that F8 thing too, still nothing. The hard drive says "error loading operating system".
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2012 4:44:47 PM

liviu81x said:
My motherboard can't boot from either cd / dvd or HDD - it says "Searching for boot record from CD-ROM.. Not found" and then moves on to HDD and says: " HDD boot record: OK" and next line "missing operating system".

I think the motherboard is somehow half-dead because I can see 2 capacitors at mid-board swollen but not etched and maybe that would be my problem.

I used different CD and DVD ROMs to try booting off them, with known good XP cd / dvds but to no avail, I get the same error. I know I can boot off a thumb drive but I want to know why this is happening.

I also want to state that I removed the hard drive and installed XP on it using another computer and when I put it back, same error - missing operating system.

I cleared the CMOS several times, same issue.

Can I throw the MB off the window and see how far it goes ?

MoBo - MS 6511, processor Athlon XP 2500+, 512 SD-RAM, system worked a year ago with Win 7 on it just fine.

Thanks in advance for your ideas, any suggestion is well appreciated.

You literally have 2 bulging capacitors on your motherboard? That's not a good sign. I would recommend not using it anymore...you do not want those caps exploding - it's not good to breath in those chemicals if they do explode.

Even if you could get the board working...it's just not safe.
a b V Motherboard
March 20, 2012 6:53:15 PM

As earlier stated. If your capacitors are bulging you need a upgrade my friend.

Your Athlon is about 6 or more years old i would say.

Some things once they get to a certain point. paying 6$ here or there to lengthen the life span will run up short. So its best to just go ahead and buy a new!
!