Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Recommended power supply unit (PSU) for a new PC build?

Last response: in Systems
Share
April 11, 2011 6:39:05 PM

Im new here :)  . A few Google searches have shown me that there are many informative and helpful
people on this forum who may be able to help me in regards to the subject matter.

now my question is; I'm attempting to build my first PC and need advice as to which power supply would be adequate for my system. My specs are;

Intel Core i7 2600 processor
Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz
2TB Hard drive 5400RPM
x2 Blu Ray/DVD RW/Light-scribe drives
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti Graphics card
PC case with 7 Integrated fans (x1 with LED)

Not sure about a sound card as i may use on-board sound. Also, is a CPU cooler necessary as im
not planning on overclocking. All suggestions are welcomed and greatly appreciated.
a b ) Power supply
April 11, 2011 6:54:19 PM

Do you plan future SLI?

I'm curious, why the 5400rpm drive? That's gotta really hurt your performance.
April 11, 2011 6:56:53 PM

Hi,

A 500w PSU should be plently to power that system. Make sure you buy a good brand however as this is a vital part of any computer. Way to many people buy value PSU's only to regret it later. Brands i can recommend are Corsiar / Seasonic / XFX (XFX PSU's are made by Seasonic).

Example: Corsair HX520 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
Related resources
a b ) Power supply
April 11, 2011 6:58:55 PM

corleone11 said:
Im new here :)  . A few Google searches have shown me that there are many informative and helpful
people on this forum who may be able to help me in regards to the subject matter.

now my question is; I'm attempting to build my first PC and need advice as to which power supply would be adequate for my system. My specs are;

Intel Core i7 2600 processor
Asus P8P67 Deluxe motherboard
8GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 RAM 1600Mhz
2TB Hard drive 5400RPM
x2 Blu Ray/DVD RW/Light-scribe drives
Nvidia Geforce GTX 560 Ti Graphics card
PC case with 7 Integrated fans (x1 with LED)

Not sure about a sound card as i may use on-board sound. Also, is a CPU cooler necessary as im
not planning on overclocking. All suggestions are welcomed and greatly appreciated.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261222-31-build-advic...
April 11, 2011 7:56:12 PM

geekapproved said:
Do you plan future SLI?

I'm curious, why the 5400rpm drive? That's gotta really hurt your performance.


Going to give future SLI a miss. I assumed that with an adequate amount of RAM, the RPM of the hard drive wouldn't matter too much?
or have i just made myself seem very computer illiterate :??:  lol

April 11, 2011 7:57:16 PM

dsM22 said:
Hi,

A 500w PSU should be plently to power that system. Make sure you buy a good brand however as this is a vital part of any computer. Way to many people buy value PSU's only to regret it later. Brands i can recommend are Corsiar / Seasonic / XFX (XFX PSU's are made by Seasonic).

Example: Corsair HX520 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thank you for your recommendation, i really appreciate that :D 
April 11, 2011 8:23:03 PM

HDD Spin Speed is very important, getting a better quality HDD will give a noticeable improvement to things like windows boot time.

I'd recommend the Sanmsung SpinPoint Series ( . The HDD's are well priced and offer great read / write speeds for a 7200rpm HDD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Getting 2 of those drives and putting them in a RAID 0 config will give you even more speed and improved performance.
EDIT - RAID 0 effectivly combines 2 HDD's into 1 and shares the data between them (in very small strips) this effectivley doubles he speed of the HDD as it read and writes from them both at the same time. (Laymans Terms)
April 11, 2011 8:27:32 PM

Quote:
lso, is a CPU cooler necessary as im not planning on overclocking


The CPU will come packaged with a stock cooler which willbe fine at stock speeds.
April 11, 2011 9:46:26 PM

dsM22 said:
HDD Spin Speed is very important, getting a better quality HDD will give a noticeable improvement to things like windows boot time.

I'd recommend the Sanmsung SpinPoint Series ( . The HDD's are well priced and offer great read / write speeds for a 7200rpm HDD.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Getting 2 of those drives and putting them in a RAID 0 config will give you even more speed and improved performance.
EDIT - RAID 0 effectivly combines 2 HDD's into 1 and shares the data between them (in very small strips) this effectivley doubles he speed of the HDD as it read and writes from them both at the same time. (Laymans Terms)


Thanks for clearing that up. Im currently still using a 320 GB samsung drive in my 7 year old PC and have never had the slightest hiccup, so can't deny their quality. As im located in the UK, purchasing from Newegg isn't gonna happen as they don't do international shipping :cry:  . I should've mentioned before that the main reason i settled for that particular drive is because the cost was within my marigine, and is a reputable quality brand (Seagate Barracuda). The only alternative was Western Digital, which i refuse to touch with a 50 foot barge pole due to their poor standards in quality :non:  . Seriously, the internet is littered with people complaining on forums about loss of data due to the hard drives dieing well within warranty :ouch: 

In regards to RAID 0, am i right in saying that as the same data is written to both drives, won't this reduce reliability? Because if one drive fails, the other drive(s) are effectively filled with useless, unfinished data. Seems a little too risky for me :sweat:  . Thanks for the
April 11, 2011 9:49:13 PM

dsM22 said:
Quote:
lso, is a CPU cooler necessary as im not planning on overclocking


The CPU will come packaged with a stock cooler which willbe fine at stock speeds.


Thanks for the help and advice, dsM22, i really appreciate it.
a c 1203 ) Power supply
April 11, 2011 11:04:07 PM

According to NVIDIA's specifications the minimum power supply requirement for a GeForce GTX 560 Ti is a unit with a minimum of 500 Watts or greater and with a minimum combined +12V current rating of 30 Amps or greater.
a c 87 ) Power supply
April 12, 2011 9:54:34 AM

Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80Plus Bronze for ~£60 is probably your best bet.
a c 126 ) Power supply
April 12, 2011 4:01:00 PM

If efficiency matters a lot to you, get a Seasonic X-560; it is 80+ Gold and does not need to run its fan at low loads.
Otherwise, for a single GTX560, 500W is sufficient. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and at least 80+ certification for efficiency. Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, Enermax, and XFX are among the quality brands. Many of the better ones (some Antec, Corsair, and XFX) are all built by Seasonic. Delta builds some of the other good Antecs.
a b ) Power supply
April 12, 2011 4:20:22 PM

corleone11 said:
In regards to RAID 0, am i right in saying that as the same data is written to both drives, won't this reduce reliability? Because if one drive fails, the other drive(s) are effectively filled with useless, unfinished data. Seems a little too risky for me :sweat:  .


That is exactly right! If you want to improve performance and reliability, you could use a RAID5 setup. it requires at least 3 drives though. :D 
April 12, 2011 5:44:44 PM

ko888 said:
According to NVIDIA's specifications the minimum power supply requirement for a GeForce GTX 560 Ti is a unit with a minimum of 500 Watts or greater and with a minimum combined +12V current rating of 30 Amps or greater.



I just checked, your right! why didn't i think of doing that :heink:  Thanks!
April 12, 2011 5:53:59 PM

benson733 said:
Get a high efficiency 500 watt, or something with a bit more wattage to allow for upgrades. Never cut yourself short when it comes to power supplies....

here is an example: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...


Thank you for the recommendation. I'll have a look on amazon or ebuyer as Newegg don't ship to the UK. Thats such a bummer
because Newegg seem to have EVERYTHING at such great value :(  . Its so true about not cutting yourself short with the PSU, if there's
one thing i know for sure about computers, is that the PSU is the most vital component.
April 12, 2011 6:22:39 PM

Silvune said:
Antec High Current Gamer 520W 80Plus Bronze for ~£60 is probably your best bet.


Yep, thats what everyone seems to be recommending as they are clearly a quality brand, thanks!
I found that particular PSU on ebuyer for £56.61 with free delivery :sol:  Seems like a no brainer :D 
April 12, 2011 6:34:44 PM

Onus said:
If efficiency matters a lot to you, get a Seasonic X-560; it is 80+ Gold and does not need to run its fan at low loads.
Otherwise, for a single GTX560, 500W is sufficient. A quality modern PSU has full range active PFC (no little voltage switch) and at least 80+ certification for efficiency. Antec, Seasonic, Corsair, Enermax, and XFX are among the quality brands. Many of the better ones (some Antec, Corsair, and XFX) are all built by Seasonic. Delta builds some of the other good Antecs.


yeh i can be a bit of an efficiency freak at times :whistle:  so the fan would kick in when the systems being strained, and remain idle when its not? Seems
like a great idea and thats something i may definitely consider. Yeah i think im gonna go with either Antec or Corsair as they appear to be of the utmost
quality PSU's. I appreciate your input jtt283 :) 
April 12, 2011 6:47:38 PM

clarkjd said:
That is exactly right! If you want to improve performance and reliability, you could use a RAID5 setup. it requires at least 3 drives though. :D 


I personally wouldn't use a RAID 0 config, knowing my luck :na:  So is a RAID 5 array more failsafe? If i have 2tb worth of data over 3 drives, and one fails,
will i still have 2tb afterwards?
a b ) Power supply
April 12, 2011 6:54:22 PM

corleone11 said:
I personally wouldn't use a RAID 0 config, knowing my luck :na:  So is a RAID 5 array more failsafe? If i have 2tb worth of data over 3 drives, and one fails,
will i still have 2tb afterwards?


With RAID5, if a drive goes bad, you replace that drive and the RAID5 will rebuild the missing data, kind of like using a parity bit to prevent bad memory.
April 12, 2011 7:26:03 PM

clarkjd said:
With RAID5, if a drive goes bad, you replace that drive and the RAID5 will rebuild the missing data, kind of like using a parity bit to prevent bad memory.


ok, so there's less risk with RAID 5 array. I guess it would just be a case of trying to find the most cost effective solution in RAID 5.
But what if the parity data becomes corrupt or if two or more drives fail or become corrupted at the same time :o  i should stop being so negative, shouldn't i :lol: 
a b ) Power supply
April 12, 2011 8:20:04 PM

corleone11 said:
ok, so there's less risk with RAID 5 array. I guess it would just be a case of trying to find the most cost effective solution in RAID 5.
But what if the parity data becomes corrupt or if two or more drives fail or become corrupted at the same time :o  i should stop being so negative, shouldn't i :lol: 

I am reminded of the old Benny Hill routine about bombs on airplanes: He said that the chances of there being a bomb on an airplane were 1000000 to 1. and the chances of there being two bombs on an airplane were 1000000 times 1000000 to 1. so be safe...Always carry a bomb when you fly!

Raid 5 is extremely fault tolerant. The "parity bit" isn't only on one drive, it is striped across all the drives in the array, as is the other data. and, you are right, if you lose enough drives in the array, you will lose the data. Usually, though you won't lose multiple drives at the same time, and that gives you some time to replace a faulty drive, and rebuild the array. You need to keep a spare drive available for just such an occurrence.
April 13, 2011 6:44:45 PM

clarkjd said:
I am reminded of the old Benny Hill routine about bombs on airplanes: He said that the chances of there being a bomb on an airplane were 1000000 to 1. and the chances of there being two bombs on an airplane were 1000000 times 1000000 to 1. so be safe...Always carry a bomb when you fly!

Raid 5 is extremely fault tolerant. The "parity bit" isn't only on one drive, it is striped across all the drives in the array, as is the other data. and, you are right, if you lose enough drives in the array, you will lose the data. Usually, though you won't lose multiple drives at the same time, and that gives you some time to replace a faulty drive, and rebuild the array. You need to keep a spare drive available for just such an occurrence.


I see the correlation :lol: 

Ok, now i understand. Thanks for clearing that up!
!