Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Bottleneck !!!!!!!!

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
Share
February 6, 2011 10:39:05 AM

I have this specification:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
ASUS M4N75TD (SLI mob)
Corsair XMS 3 1600 Mhz DDR3
Cooler Master Elite 430
500GB SATA
Cooler Master GX 750W PSU

please let me know if a multi gpu (high end SLI) setup would be bottlenecked.

More about : bottleneck

a b U Graphics card
February 6, 2011 11:31:24 AM

irfan88 said:
I have this specification:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
ASUS M4N75TD (SLI mob)
Corsair XMS 3 1600 Mhz DDR3
Cooler Master Elite 430
500GB SATA
Cooler Master GX 750W PSU

please let me know if a multi gpu (high end SLI) setup would be bottlenecked.


First change your PSU to some Silent Pro M 700W or a Corsair 650W. Then get a good cooler, if you're on a tight budget get the CM Hyper 212+ and OC your CPU. 2x GTX460 1GB in SLI is the maximum that CPU will not bottleneck. (when OC'ed)
February 7, 2011 2:17:48 PM

what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I had heard that the CPU would be one of the best for an SLI gaming setup and you are telling me that the max that the CPU can do is a GTX 460 SLI.

look, I bought this CPU after people from this forum suggested me that this CPU would be one of the best for multi gpu setup's or else I would have bought a cheap quad core with a cheap motherboard instead of an SLI motherboard and a 750w psu.
:pfff: 
Related resources
a c 130 U Graphics card
February 7, 2011 2:20:29 PM

irfan88 said:
what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I had heard that the CPU would be one of the best for an SLI gaming setup and you are telling me that the max that the CPU can do is a GTX 460 SLI.

look, I bought this CPU after people from this forum suggested me that this CPU would be one of the best for multi gpu setup's or else I would have bought a cheap quad core with a cheap motherboard instead of an SLI motherboard and a 750w psu.
:pfff: 



Calm down one opinion isnt the be all and end all.
What cards are you looking to SLI ?

Mactronix :) 
February 7, 2011 2:26:35 PM

I am looking to SLI couple of GTX 470's or 560's or even 570's.
a c 216 U Graphics card
February 7, 2011 2:30:38 PM

irfan88 said:
I have this specification:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
ASUS M4N75TD (SLI mob)
Corsair XMS 3 1600 Mhz DDR3
Cooler Master Elite 430
500GB SATA
Cooler Master GX 750W PSU

please let me know if a multi gpu (high end SLI) setup would be bottlenecked.


Without knowing your screen resolution and refresh rate, it's hard to say what will and won't bottleneck your system.

If you play at 2560x1600 or an eyefinity setup, the fastest 2 card setups will still hold you back in a lot of games. If you play at 1080p at a 60hz refresh, you will probably find it's overkill to go with two 570's. But 1080p with a refresh rate of 120hz would find use out of all that extra power, though your CPU may hold you back a little.
February 7, 2011 2:33:23 PM

ok so can you tell me what is the maximum multi gpu setup does this CPU handle.


I will normally be playing at 1920*1080.
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2011 5:11:58 PM

If there's a bottleneck it doesn't necessarily mean that the game won't be playable, it will be, just the cards won't be used to their full potential. Anything above dual 460's or dual 6850's or maybe 6870's will be hold back by that CPU.

And don't worry, anything above 2x GTX460 1GB / 2x HD 6850/70 will be overkill for that res. So you should be able to max out any game easily.
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2011 5:14:46 PM

Oh, and i forgot to mention 'bout the PSU again. CM GX series are awfull, only get Silent Pro/ Silent Pro Gold from CM. Other quality PSU's are Seasonic, Corsair, XFX, OCZ, Antec, Fortron and maybe a couple more.
a c 216 U Graphics card
February 7, 2011 5:25:08 PM

irfan88 said:
ok so can you tell me what is the maximum multi gpu setup does this CPU handle.


I will normally be playing at 1920*1080.


Due to personal experience with SLI and crossfire, and because your resolution isn't extremely large, I'd recommend going with a single card solution and not go with two cards. A single 6970 or 570 (580's aren't worth the price tag for most people) would be able to handle your resolution and refresh rate well.

Some of the problems with SLI and crossfire are as follows:
1) You'd have to upgrade your PSU and have a motherboard able to handle it.
2) They are noisier than a single card and can be distracting.
3) Not all games support SLI/CF and some cause glitches when they do.
4) SLI/CF does not function in windowed mode.
5) It'll be harder to upgrade later (you'd have to replace both cards instead of just adding one).
a b U Graphics card
February 7, 2011 5:32:42 PM

^ exactly, best card you can afford single then sli/xfire later... a single 570 or 6970 at your res shoudl play anythign out atm and then you can sli/xfire down the road
February 8, 2011 12:53:28 AM

yeah, I know that I can SLI the card later but the thing is will my CPU (Phenom II x4 955BE) be able to handle that.
February 8, 2011 1:35:51 AM

irfan88 said:
yeah, I know that I can SLI the card later but the thing is will my CPU (Phenom II x4 955BE) be able to handle that.


Dude, at 1080, you will not need to SLI. It is not worth the money or the headache. Do yourself a favor and get a gtx 570. Or, save your self $100 more and OC a single gtx 560.

Instead of buying a second card, spend the $250-300 on a SSD. It is a worthwhile upgrade because you will notice the improvement in general computing(opening apps, reboot, so son...). Also, it will improve level load times in games.
a c 216 U Graphics card
February 8, 2011 1:53:58 AM

irfan88 said:
yeah, I know that I can SLI the card later but the thing is will my CPU (Phenom II x4 955BE) be able to handle that.


Your CPU is good enough to ensure 40+ FPS in just about any game. Your monitor is good enough to show 60 FPS at max in any game.

For the time being, a single 570 or 6970 will allow you to achieve 40+ FPS in virtually any game barring rare exception. The problem with putting in two 570's now, is you'll just end up getting 80+ FPS in all your games unless your CPU bottlenecks it, but your monitor will only allow 60.

You'll want to add a 2nd card when you find your GPU cannot support 40+ FPS any more. Providing your CPU is still fast enough for games at that time, adding a 2nd GPU will not bottleneck the system.
February 8, 2011 2:14:44 AM

ok then, Ill just go with a single card solution.

and one last thing, I have my motherboard with an nvidia nforce chipset (asus m4n75td).

can i install an amd graphic card such as the 6950 or a 6970 or a 5870. If yes, then will I have any problems using the card with an nvidia chipset or should I go with a 560 or a 570.
a c 216 U Graphics card
February 8, 2011 2:44:28 AM

If you have an nvidia nforce chipset, you won't likely be able to crossfire. You can however still use a single ATI card.

Unless Morphological AA and SSAA are important to you, then I'd go Nvidia.
a c 172 U Graphics card
February 8, 2011 2:55:48 AM

What ever the case if you feel as though the cpu isn't measuring up just nuke it beyond what it is already. As for choice of cards it may as all depend on what your interests and taste of cards are. Some like ATI while others like my self like Nvidia or you can mix things up with both hehe. However what ever the choice that you make be sure that it is a good one.
February 8, 2011 2:43:18 PM

I will probably go the nvidia way because I have heard that AMD drivers are not mature enough and have certain glitches. I will go with an overclocked GTX 460 or a 560.
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2011 4:23:44 PM

irfan88 said:
I will probably go the nvidia way because I have heard that AMD drivers are not mature enough and have certain glitches. I will go with an overclocked GTX 460 or a 560.


That's not true. Don't let Nvidia fanboys fool you. If you are getting a single card get either a GTX 560 Ti or a HD 6950 1GB, great cards for their price.
a c 376 U Graphics card
February 8, 2011 4:31:07 PM

unknown_13 said:
That's not true. Don't let Nvidia fanboys fool you. If you are getting a single card get either a GTX 560 Ti or a HD 6950 1GB, great cards for their price.

I wouldn't recommend the 1gb HD6950 considering the 2gb card is only $20 more and can be unlocked into an HD6970.
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2011 4:33:22 PM

jyjjy said:
I wouldn't recommend the 1gb HD6950 considering the 2gb card is only $20 more and can be unlocked into an HD6970.


Dang, i forgot 'bout that :D  I'm too occupied with thoughts of upgrading my HD 4850 to one of those two and i made a damned mistake. Sorry :) 
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2011 6:41:50 PM

unknown_13 said:
Dang, i forgot 'bout that :D  I'm too occupied with thoughts of upgrading my HD 4850 to one of those two and i made a damned mistake. Sorry :) 


It's also worth mentioning that different games have different demands. In most circumstances your CPU won't be a bottleneck at that speed. It also depends on what level of mutiple GPU support the game has.

For instance, Black Ops is one of the more CPU intensive games, but gives a lot of slack for additional CPU cores, where significantly less clockspeed is needed per CPU core.

When you're looking at things like this, where multiple Cores and GPU's are an option, it's important to remember your results will vary from game to game. As someone above stated, many games don't support SLI, and results can vary. Some games, can be buggy with SLI enabled, and can even result in WORSE performance with SLI/CF on. Infact, in many cases games get no gain from being pushed past 4 CPU cores, wherein after 4 cores, clock speed will dictate overall increase in a feature-similar CPU comparison.

If you're looking for a solid overall gaming experience, stick to 4 CPU cores at a moderately good speed and mid-high end single card setup. If you're just looking to tinker and have fun and just be an enthusiest, then jumping to a higher core-count and mutiple GPUs is more fun. But I'd recommend doing your own homework via Tom's, numerous high-end reviews, and wikipedia, etc for more overall information about what you're doing.
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2011 7:31:23 PM

^ "Black Ops is one of the more CPU intensive games"....



....




....



wrong

*add* its a console port... and a bad one at that (from a hardware and system usage anyway) that even a old dual core system can max, just becuase it sells well and is popular doesn't mean it is cutting edge
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2011 8:05:23 PM

Black Ops stresses all 4 cores for sure, my Q8200 is @ 90% usage (all cores equaly @ 90-95%) while playing the game. And as you said an old Conroe C2D E6600 would also have no problems maxing it out with let's say a HD 4870. And the reason why it stresses all 4 cores is, as you've said already, because it's a console port, and is not really making use of the additional 2 cores, it stresses them just like the other 2 cores, like they were clones :lol: 
a c 125 U Graphics card
February 8, 2011 8:20:41 PM

Just saying, for the performance, SLI/CF is almost always better bang for the buck.

OP: I have a pair of 5850s which can play anything at max settings, 1080p. So CF 5850, CF6870, SLI460, SLI470, SLI560 are all good choices.

You really shouldn't have to worry about any bottlenecks, and you can OC the CPU a good deal too if you feel like it.

I would also consider having 6-8gb RAM, if you're at 4. It can help speed things up a bit. SSDs are nice too!
a c 172 U Graphics card
February 8, 2011 8:41:33 PM

unknown_13 said:
Black Ops stresses all 4 cores for sure, my Q8200 is @ 90% usage (all cores equaly @ 90-95%) while playing the game. And as you said an old Conroe C2D E6600 would also have no problems maxing it out with let's say a HD 4870. And the reason why it stresses all 4 cores is, as you've said already, because it's a console port, and is not really making use of the additional 2 cores, it stresses them just like the other 2 cores, like they were clones :lol: 


Console games are obviously multy threaded to take advantage of even what the newt boxes have to offer. The x360 uses a tri core ppc cpu while the ps3 cell be cpu has 7 out of 8 cores enabled with one reserved for the os. The remaining units or SPE (stream processor element) or cpu cores what ever language and terms used 6 are used by the games but my memory might not be 100% there to keep it short.

That q8200 isn't the best 775 quad out there but sadly they aren't cheap either :/ 
a b U Graphics card
February 8, 2011 10:39:14 PM

g00fysmiley said:
^ "Black Ops is one of the more CPU intensive games"....



....




....



wrong

*add* its a console port... and a bad one at that (from a hardware and system usage anyway) that even a old dual core system can max, just becuase it sells well and is popular doesn't mean it is cutting edge


I sense this is a personal opinion being pushed in to push things off topic.

Black Ops needs:
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom™ X3 8750 or better

That's a 2.4GHZ dual core or better. In fact, I know from first hand experience with my friend's PC that on the AMD end you'll want 2.6GHZ dual core. Considering the first and second gen dual cores only hit the low 2GHZ area, I have to question the accuracy of your statement.

Let's see, here's some games to compare.

Shogun: Total War asks for "2 GHz Intel Dual Core processor / 2.6 GHz Intel Single Core processor , or AMD equivalent (with SSE2)"

Dragon Age II: Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (or equivalent) running at 1.8 GHz or greater; AMD Athlon 64 X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8 GHz or greater

Civ V: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 64 2.0 GHz

Bad Company 2 Vietnam: Processor: Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz

Witcher 2: Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or similar AMD

Metro: 2033 will take nearly any dual core.

So, I'm going to politely say that "Black Ops is one of the more CPU intensive games" is a fair statement. Regardless of if anyone does or does not like the game, it has a higher CPU usage than most common games on the market. So, let's get back on topic, eh?
February 8, 2011 10:39:47 PM

Its ok, I am not worried about the CPU as I have got a decent one (Phenom II x4 955 BE). If any time later, if the cpu starts wobbling, I will just overclock it past 3.8 ghz. :D 

I will just go with a single card solution, because if I plan to sli the card later say after 1 year or so, I will have more powerfull cards down the line. So I will be left with two cards to sell. A lot of headache.

So the best option would be to buy a single card now. If it runs out of gas, then I will buy a different one and use the current one for physx. what say!!!!!!!!!!!! :sarcastic: 
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2011 10:44:47 AM

Get a HD 6950 2GB and unlock it to HD 6970 via BIOS hack, best bang for the buck option :D 
February 9, 2011 11:56:11 AM

gtx 560 ti is rocking in market right now in 250$.if you want anything higher consider looking for gtx 480 or gtx 570.
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2011 12:08:41 PM

mrjericho1991 said:
gtx 560 ti is rocking in market right now in 250$.if you want anything higher consider looking for gtx 480 or gtx 570.


It's obvious that you're a Nvidia fanboy.
February 9, 2011 12:14:51 PM

mirrion said:
I sense this is a personal opinion being pushed in to push things off topic.

Black Ops needs:
Processor: Intel® Core™2 Duo E6600 or AMD Phenom™ X3 8750 or better

That's a 2.4GHZ dual core or better. In fact, I know from first hand experience with my friend's PC that on the AMD end you'll want 2.6GHZ dual core. Considering the first and second gen dual cores only hit the low 2GHZ area, I have to question the accuracy of your statement.

Let's see, here's some games to compare.

Shogun: Total War asks for "2 GHz Intel Dual Core processor / 2.6 GHz Intel Single Core processor , or AMD equivalent (with SSE2)"

Dragon Age II: Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo (or equivalent) running at 1.8 GHz or greater; AMD Athlon 64 X2 (or equivalent) running at 1.8 GHz or greater

Civ V: Intel Core 2 Duo 1.8 GHz or AMD Athlon X2 64 2.0 GHz

Bad Company 2 Vietnam: Processor: Core 2 Duo @ 2.0GHz

Witcher 2: Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo 2.2 GHz or similar AMD

Metro: 2033 will take nearly any dual core.

So, I'm going to politely say that "Black Ops is one of the more CPU intensive games" is a fair statement. Regardless of if anyone does or does not like the game, it has a higher CPU usage than most common games on the market. So, let's get back on topic, eh?


From my experience, Black Ops is more CPU intensive, BUT less GPU intensive !
a b U Graphics card
February 9, 2011 5:23:45 PM

Agreed. But the CPU point is moot. OP's pretty much gotten what he needs from this thread, anyhow.

Though to comment on the above about NVidia fanboys: AMD doesn't make BAD video cards, but respectively, NVidia's simply run a better game in the long run, IMO. I would never give anyone crap for going AMD as an informed descision. However, I always keep in mind that in modern video cards, the only BAD series Nvidia made was the early FX (5000) series. ATI has had a few more issues in this department, having produced a few more duds. I just like my luck better with Nvidia, and it's easier to toss someone at Nvidia's current models and say "buy what you can afford" without them screwing up and coming out with a bad card.

I think the bigger argument is manufacturing brands. (e.g. ASUS, Sparkle, Palit, MSI), and I think arguing over the better chipset/GPU maker is moot. In the current market I don't think you're going to get a bad card, as long as you've done your homework.
February 9, 2011 5:46:48 PM

irfan88 said:
I have this specification:

AMD Phenom II x4 955 BE
ASUS M4N75TD (SLI mob)
Corsair XMS 3 1600 Mhz DDR3
Cooler Master Elite 430
500GB SATA
Cooler Master GX 750W PSU

please let me know if a multi gpu (high end SLI) setup would be bottlenecked.


955 be is far above gtx 460 sli requirement with very well scaling. hell i'm having gtx 580 dual sli with just e8500 and it ran well without performance loss/bad scaling so your 955be will be fine..

irfan88 said:
what!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

But I had heard that the CPU would be one of the best for an SLI gaming setup and you are telling me that the max that the CPU can do is a GTX 460 SLI.

look, I bought this CPU after people from this forum suggested me that this CPU would be one of the best for multi gpu setup's or else I would have bought a cheap quad core with a cheap motherboard instead of an SLI motherboard and a 750w psu.
:pfff: 


processor don't do much in general gaming unless it's physics/AI intensive. unless the user have processor like p4 or other older processor or it won't affecting the scaling in gfx sli.

sli mb and 750w psu would giving you more advantage on more gradable solution. it doesn't sound that bad
February 9, 2011 11:47:51 PM

thank you for clearing that. Now one more thing, I have a stock cpu cooler. I want to buy a decent one where I can overclock my cpu to atleast 3.6 ghz.

please suggest me one and one more thing, the cpu cooler should not block any of my ram slots because I will be using all the 4 slots.

I am using this cabinet.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...
February 10, 2011 3:11:15 AM

irfan88 said:
thank you for clearing that. Now one more thing, I have a stock cpu cooler. I want to buy a decent one where I can overclock my cpu to atleast 3.6 ghz.

please suggest me one and one more thing, the cpu cooler should not block any of my ram slots because I will be using all the 4 slots.

I am using this cabinet.

http://benchmarkreviews.com/index.php?option=com_conten...


a stock cooler can pretty much sustain that speed when the air flow is good. however i would recommend hyper101a if you oc the processor for longer period. because the mainboard has terrible design that cpu is setting very close to the ram module. which larger tower cooler will mostly cover up the ram module. however if you really want to talk about cpu cooler i'd suggest you move on to cpu section because this is "Graphics & Displays" section.
!