~$1000 to be used for VFX work and Crysis 2!

lok3sh

Distinguished
Apr 11, 2011
Hey guys!

So I am a VFX student and am in need of a new rig. I do a lot of HD rendering work with Nuke, Maya and matchmoving solves with HD footage. I'm using a pretty powerful laptop (relatively, the HP HDX 18t) right now but its starting to get slower with HD stuff. I really need to upgrade to a desktop now.

Another totally important thing is that my graphics card should be able to run Crysis 2 1920x1080 on stuff maxed out! I played Crysis on my old rig which was almost good enough for this, but this time around I want it to play perfect!

I own a computer with an Asus P5N 32-E SLi, Q6600 with G0 stepping processor and 4GB of DDR2 ram and an 8800GTS 320mb GFX card. Bought this setup about 4 years ago, but its quite outdated now.

So I was looking at getting these components but I would like some advice on weather I can get better things with more value for money I guess? Or point out something I plan to buy that is already outdated. Or just some general advice would be great :)

CPU : Intel Core i7 2600K :
http://www.amazon.com/Intel-Processor-i7-2600K-LGA1155-BX80623I72600K/dp/B004EBUXSA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1302560261&sr=1-2

Graphics : nVidia GTX 560 ti :
http://www.amazon.com/MSI-PCI-Express-N560GTX-TWIN-FROZR/dp/B004JLNZXU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1302560136&sr=8-1

I need advice on a motherboard that will support my processor and a lot of RAM for when I upgrade (up to around 12gb-14gb ddr3) I was also wondering if there is a motherboard that will support both i7s and Xeons for about $150 or less? Maybe even the option of being able to run dual xeons in the future?\

Sorry if this post is a bit of a mess haha

Thanks in advance guys!

Approximate Purchase Date: ASAP

Budget Range: ~$1,000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: HD Video rendering in Nuke, Maya rendering, Matchmove solves and Crysis 2

Parts Not Required: keyboard, mouse, speakers, OS

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Amazon, Newegg, whatever

Country of Origin: San Francisco, USA

Parts Preferences: by brand or type (e.g.: I would like to use an AMD CPU & Biostar mobo with a 24" LCD and full tower case)

Overclocking: No

SLI or Crossfire: Maybe if I get better performance with two cheaper cards that cost less in total that 1 powerful card.

Monitor Resolution: 1920x1080 prefered, 1920x1200 acceptable.

Additional Comments: (e.g.: Need to have a window and lots of bling, I would like a quiet PC)