AM3+ Based system, AMD Quad or 6-core

schitzoflink

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009
Approximate Purchase Date: Just waiting for AM3+ boards to come out so maybe 4-6 weeks

Budget Range: looking to keep it around 900-1000

System Usage from Most to Least Important: Gaming, streaming video, web

Parts Not Required: Case, Keyboard, Mouse, Optical Drive, HDD, Monitor

Preferred Website(s) for Parts: Newegg, Amazon

Country of Origin: USA

Parts Preferences: AM3+ Based Mobo so AMD CPU

Overclocking: Yes but just plan on using mobo OC utility so nothing crazy

SLI or Crossfire: No

Monitor Resolution: HDTV so 1080p

I plan to upgrade to the 8-core AMD CPU(Bulldozer) in about 1.5-2 years which is why I want an AM3+ Mobo. For now I'm wondering if the difference between the Athlon II x6 1090T and the Athlon II x4 955 is big enough to warrant the extra 30 bucks, it's only 3% of the entire build cost but I don't want to waste money.

Currently the rest of the build is thus
Sound Card:Creative Sound Blaster Audigy SE

GPU:XFX Radeon HD 6950 1GB ( I plan to flash the BIOS to 6970)

PSU:CORSAIR 750W ATX

RAM:G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) (I'm not tied to any RAM, and I'm never 100% certain if I'm getting the best for my money but I do want 8GB)

CPU cooler:COOLER MASTER Hyper TX3 CPU Cooler

I don't know if I should use an SSD as a boot drive, for one reason, if I install a game like Oblivion I usually end up with quite alot of mods and with that GB of data. Can I install the game on my 1TB spinpoint and still enjoy some kind of benefit from the SSD (even if it's just that the OS is faster and doesn't hinder the game)

Thanks

schitzoflink

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2009

Because I don't want to wait that long, and I don't usually buy right when something is coming out. The price is usually more than what I want to spend. The only reason I'm looking at an AM3+ board is that I would like some good upgrade headroom.