Xfx 6950 temp remain 45c to 55c even at idle

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrfrantik

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
As title says even if computer is idle and leave it for 15 min or so and nothin goin on, temp is around 45 more or less and

I dont understand even if i am playing game like bc2 its temp remains near 55c ..and it never reached 60...yeah i must mention i am using Afterburner so with the increase of temp ,Fan speed also increases but when there is no load why still 40?Usually i leave PC on for downloading and in the morning its still 45c.Strange

Solution
G
Fore CROSSFIRE configuration, normal, absolutely normal, don't expect any lower than that on idle; my GT 240 idles at 43 at a room temp of 23 degrees Celsius, my other cards both old and new idle at temperatures around that, the older cards like the 6 and 7 series can idle at 60, you're fine.

HOWEVER for a single 6950, it should be 35, but you have two in crossfire, I'm guessing there is a mm of space between them?

So for crossfire that's normal.
That video card may just have a great cooling solution. I don't think those temps are bad at all considering 2 of my 3 5850s are in the 70sC at load (the bottom one is 10C less and reaches only 60s). The two hotter cards are "higher" up the motherboard and don't have the direct ventilation the lowest card has. They hover around 40C at idle.

Check GPU-z and you'll probably find your second card is around 10C cooler on idle just because of the available airflow compared to the one above it.

G

Fore CROSSFIRE configuration, normal, absolutely normal, don't expect any lower than that on idle; my GT 240 idles at 43 at a room temp of 23 degrees Celsius, my other cards both old and new idle at temperatures around that, the older cards like the 6 and 7 series can idle at 60, you're fine.

HOWEVER for a single 6950, it should be 35, but you have two in crossfire, I'm guessing there is a mm of space between them?

So for crossfire that's normal.

Solution

mrfrantik

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008

Yes i use custom profiles as i said before...i use afterburner.at 30c my setting for fan is 40%..

But i got the idea ..that its normal with crossfire.

Status
Not open for further replies.